Just found out about mast cell tumor

juicestyna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So a few months back maybe even in the winter I noticed my cat had a tiny lump on her side its very small not even 1/4 of an inch in diameter. I thought maybe she had hurt herself somewhere because there was scab that came off of it. I didnt think much of it but kept an eye on it. I noticed it again a few months later but no scab was  was concerned but then after that time I couldnt find it. I finally found the bump again it is still just as tiny, its hard, flesh colored, and on top of her skin, it doesnt seem to bother her when I touch it and looks like a wart. I know its best to have a vet look at it but my experience with vets has been awful many ready to just take my money without actually doing whats right for my cat. 

I want to have some idea of what this could be before I decide to dish out money and put my cat through stress since she is 14 years old and gets very very stressed over going to the vet. Here is a picture:

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
did it change in any way since you first noticed it? It's only the one bump, right? Can it be moved or wiggled?

What it might be is a cyst (overgrowth of fatty tissue). My Rascal had one on his head that the vet cut out. In your place, I would just take her (if you look a bit online, there are cat-friendly vets out there with cat-only waiting areas and so on which might reduce the stress a bit. There are also calming treats you could give before you go), it's something easy for the vet to see
 and you can't be sure it doesn't bother her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juicestyna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am pretty distraught just got back from the vet to discover my cats tiny lump on her side is a mast cell tumor. The vet made it sound like it could be fine and removed and never come back or there could be a larger more dangerous tumor somewhere inside that we dont know about. Her blood work came back completely normal and said that she is completely healthy. They want me to continue by doing an ultrasound of her abdomen to check for any masses inside that we are unaware of and then go from there on removing the tumor. I am so scared for my Fluffy she is 14 years old and i am worried about her surviving the surgery and the sedation for this ultrasound. I will do it though because I cannot stand back and let this cancer stand a chance. Has anyone had anything like this? Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated. 

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is definitely very worrisome! I have no words of advice as I haven't experienced this. All I can say is, I hope the ultrasound shows up clean and normal!!

Sending best wishes vibes!! 

lorelei80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry that you got bad news! I had a cat named Fluffy too (well it was his nickname actually). I've also had to deal with putting a 14 year old under anesthesia. Mine came out just fine, but I know that the risk is elevated for the older crowd.
Personally I think that you are doing the right thing. You only have two choices at this point really. Either you try to fight it or you don't. Considering that Fluffy had excellent blood test results, that would tell me that she has a good fighting chance! In my uneducated (at least medically) opinion, I would think that if the cancer had spread there would be some other sign, either she would show worrying symptoms or some blood levels would be off.
Good luck Fluffy! We will be keeping our paws crossed for you!

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh I'm so sorry you got this terrible news. Sending all of the support vibes and best wishes your way!

geege88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 15 year old male named Buddy, who had surgery to remove a mast cell tumor about 10 months ago. He had a soft lump behind his ear for several years. Since it never grew or changed in any way I opted to leave it alone and watch it. I took him to the vet when it suddenly tripled in size and looked infected. The vet believed it was just an infection but because of the history she decided to aspirated it. In addition to signs of the infection she was very surprised to find mast cells. She removed it surgically a few days later. Because of its location she said she was not able to remove as much tissue around the tumor as she would have liked but the margins looked clean. So far there is no sign of any regrowth. He did great through the surgery. I hope things go just as well for you and Fluffy!

aloddcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm very sorry for the frightening news.

When one of our cats was diagnosed with an internal mast cell carcinoma about a year ago, I did some research and found that outcomes often are positive for cats with mast cell tumors only on the skin. Here's hoping you did the ultrasound and have received good news since your initial post.

Our cat reacted poorly to the initial chemo regimen, and we opted for surgery in December. The surgeon had to remove the junction of her small and large intestines - very scary - but with a new chemo/steroid/B-12 regimen she is doing wonderfully.

Still, our vet and an internist and a feline oncologist all agreed that her long-term prognosis is poor. We say that's a step up from "dire" last fall, and Leda-cat's still bopping around, so we'll take it.

Wishing you and Fluffy the best.

Al

juicestyna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today is the day of the ultrasound I am worried for her and also the stress she will endure during. I am trying to be optimistic but I also have to prepare for the worst. Thank you for all the vibes and words of wisdom. Wish us luck and I will keep you guys updated. 

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
for you and Fluffy.

Cindy was diagnosed with mast cell tumor in abdomen after about a month of tests including 3 ultrasounds.  They did not have to anesthetize her for any of them.  After those 3 they still didn't know, so the only option was surgery.  She had surgery in January 2012 and the surgeon removed a large tumor attached to her colon, and the biopsy came back mast cell. The surgeon said he got all of the tumor, and she was put on chemo.  They told us that even with chemo, probably 3-6 months.  It is a year and a half later, and I know the long term prognosis isn't great, but she's still with us.  Earlier this year they thought the cancer had come back, but they did exploratory surgery and didn't find any thing.  Right now based on her symptoms they are treating her for IBD.  She has some bad days, but also some good days too.

My vet has a cat who had mast cell all through him, had surgery and chemo, and he is still going strong 3 years later.  When I told her that Cindy's diagnosis was mast cell, she said that was the best news I could have gotten.

I hope everything goes well for Fluffy with the ultrasound, and that it turns out to just be on the skin and not internal. 

anaviviant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I hope the surgery went well and your cat is doing great. 

I have the same exact problem and have a picture that looks exactly like this but my foster cat has two bumps and they're much smaller than this. She doesn't scratch them. Could you please update us on this? Are they definitely a mast cell tumor? 

Greatly appreciated. 

Thank you.

-Ana

juicestyna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So great news the ultrasound came back and fluffys inside are as healthy as ever. The vet said her organs look "pristine" for a 14 year old. I am so relieved but the battle isnt over yet. We are going ahead and removing fluffys tumor i am a bit concerned with anesthesia but my vet informed me of all the precautions she takes with older cats and that fluffy should do perfectly fine since she is in great health and that we will also be doing a test to make sure her heart is working properly overall before going under. The surgery will be in the next two-three weeks. Thank you all for your support. I will keep you updated.

juicestyna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just an update: Fluffy's surgery went very well, they removed the tumor and we were all very shocked at how big the incision site was at first. She also had a dental procedure done and they removed 6 teeth! She got home and was acting like herself but a little tired. The next day she was okay until the afternoon when she started to have labored breathing. I called the vet in a panic because she has very mild asthma and the vet told me to bring her in over night. So I left my poor little princess at the vet over night. The vet had said all her pain meds wore off from the surgery and it seemed as though the ones I was given to take home and give to her werent enough causing her to have abnormal breathing. Poor thing must have been in so much pain. The next day she got home and was herself again and every day after that. Today we removed her staples and her wound healed really well. Fluffy's tumor  was sent to a lab to be tested. It came back to be a low grade stage II. I would have preferred stage 1 but the vet said low grade stage II mast cell tumors behave like stage I typically. They also mentioned that it appeared as if the entire tumor was removed! So all great news for us. All that is left is to monitor noting if any lumps or bumps appear. Looks like she will live a long and full life. Going into this it was really scary worrying about my best friend but it was worth all the worry and risk. I could not be happier with the results and her progress. I could not have made a better decision for her to get the surgery. Thank you everyone for all your support and vibes this website has really been so helpful and supportive to Fluffy and I and I could not be more grateful. 

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow! That is super awesome news!! HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!!

lovemycalico

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so happy that everything came out positive in the end. The word cancer scares me as I have had it and a lot of my family has had it as well. That word just never makes anyone think good thoughts I think.

I hope Fluffy enjoys getting pampered by you for many. many years.