Just For Fun poll: How big do you think Rain will get?

Taking "bets"... how big do we think she'll get?

• 6-6.5 pounds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6.5-7 pounds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7.5-8 pounds

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 8-8.5 pounds

• 8.5-9 pounds

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • 9.9.5 pounds

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • 9.5-10 pounds

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Over 10 pounds (put your guess in your reply!)

• Total voters

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rain is now about 5 and a half months old and having another growth spurt. Today she weighs 5 lbs. 6.3 oz. She's a Domestic Medium Hair, so we really have no idea on her genetics! She's growing pretty quickly again. But we have had BIG cats and LITTLE cats, and in-between cats.

Who wants to guess how big she will finally be when she makes her full adult weight, whenever that may be? (a year, two years, etc.)

Healthy weight only, we don't promote obesity in our pets! 🙂
20191126_173449-1.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... she's a cutie pie. :redheartpump:

It's hard to say when she'll reach her full adult weight, as younger cats tend to be more active, thus slimmer. Once they get a little older, and slow down activity wise, they sometimes gain a bit of weight.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My general rule of thumb is they will gain half their weight at 6 months. So 6 pounds roughly at 6 months should end up being 9ish pounds. The math has worked out with all my current cats despite my best effort to get Rocket to be bigger. Alas, Rocket is a little girl at 7-8 pounds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well-- Rain is now 7 months old and today she weighed in at 6 pounds, 13 ounces, so ALMOST 7 pounds! This little one is growing up so nicely! I can feel her muscles are coming in, but she's still got that little bit of a lanky adolescent look with long legs and a youthful head! She's also really turning into a lap baby. She was a shelter rescue, but now we wonder...

Who rescued whom? 💞

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I think our little blue girls definitely rescued us. <3

I guessed that she's going to be a big girl, like my Willow, but let's hope they stay under 10 lbs. Willow is about a month older than Rain and that's about the time she started getting VERY affectionate towards me, even though she's still tight with my tiny dogs.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
My general rule of thumb is they will gain half their weight at 6 months. So 6 pounds roughly at 6 months should end up being 9ish pounds. The math has worked out with all my current cats despite my best effort to get Rocket to be bigger. Alas, Rocket is a little girl at 7-8 pounds.
I’m wondering what you mean by “half their weight at 6 mths so at 9 mths they’ll be 9lbs”? My 6mth old weighs 10 1/2 pounds, so will he weigh 20 pounds at a year? My 9 mth old weighs 7 1/2 pounds so what will she weigh based on this? She’s very slight and petite. He’s a bruiser! Not over weight; just big, big, big lol

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m guessing she’s also small like Jemima. She seems to have a smaller frame. I’m not so good at estimating :wavey:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m wondering what you mean by “half their weight at 6 mths so at 9 mths they’ll be 9lbs”? My 6mth old weighs 10 1/2 pounds, so will he weigh 20 pounds at a year? My 9 mth old weighs 7 1/2 pounds so what will she weigh based on this? She’s very slight and petite. He’s a bruiser! Not over weight; just big, big, big lol
The quote is inaccurate, it was "My general rule of thumb is they will gain half their weight at 6 months. So 6 pounds roughly at 6 months should end up being 9ish pounds."

Not at 9 months they will be 9 pounds but if they are 6 pounds at 6 months they will be around 9 pounds as an adult which is usually around a year old. Basically, it means:
6 month weight + (0.5 x 6 month weight) = 1 year weight.
It is a highly non-scientific but tends to generally work out. In your case at 10.5 pounds and 6 months old, adult weight will probably be:
10.5 pounds + (0.5 x 10.5 pounds = 5.25 pounds) = 15.75 pounds
Maybe... possibly...probably....

The 9 month old who is 7.5 pounds I'd guess 9 pounds but could be as little at 8 pounds. Hard to tell at that point because at 9 pounds she could be nearly done or still have a ways to go. Most of my cats end up putting on some weight between 1 and 2 years old which is bulking out with muscle after they finish growing. I see a vet regularly so my vet keeps a weight over time. They were not concerned with weight gain after the first year and around the third year started to just make sure weight stays within a regular fluctuation. My girl is from 7.5 to 8 pounds while my boy is 13.75 to 14.5 pounds regularly.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for educating me!
The quote is inaccurate, it was "My general rule of thumb is they will gain half their weight at 6 months. So 6 pounds roughly at 6 months should end up being 9ish pounds."

Not at 9 months they will be 9 pounds but if they are 6 pounds at 6 months they will be around 9 pounds as an adult which is usually around a year old. Basically, it means:
It is a highly non-scientific but tends to generally work out. In your case at 10.5 pounds and 6 months old, adult weight will probably be:

The 9 month old who is 7.5 pounds I'd guess 9 pounds but could be as little at 8 pounds. Hard to tell at that point because at 9 pounds she could be nearly done or still have a ways to go. Most of my cats end up putting on some weight between 1 and 2 years old which is bulking out with muscle after they finish growing. I see a vet regularly so my vet keeps a weight over time. They were not concerned with weight gain after the first year and around the third year started to just make sure weight stays within a regular fluctuation. My girl is from 7.5 to 8 pounds while my boy is 13.75 to 14.5 pounds regularly.

Thanks for educating me! I’m sorry I misunderstood. Lucca is huge in comparison with Jemima, who’s petite. I was thinking he’d be 20lbs! I know Jemima, at 9 mths isn’t going to be big. I’m appreciative of your enlightening me 🙏🏻

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for educating me!

Thanks for educating me! I’m sorry I misunderstood. Lucca is huge in comparison with Jemima, who’s petite. I was thinking he’d be 20lbs! I know Jemima, at 9 mths isn’t going to be big. I’m appreciative of your enlightening me 🙏🏻
It happens. Link was almost 10 pounds at 6 months and is now 14-15 pounds (6 years old). Some of the bigger breeds can continue growing longer so my general rule of thumb doesn't work as well for those. The other general weight estimator is double their weight at 4 months old (a kitten who is 6 pounds at 4 months would be 12 pounds as an adult... roughly).

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boys were 8lbs and 9lbs at 6 months old. They are both over 12 lbs at over a year old. They are being fed raw food so if they are very active that day that can lose weight quickly so I have to be careful lol. But the vet says that 12-13lbs are their ideal weight. Fynn is tall, long, and has a very big build (he feels heavy just because of his skeletal structure) while Jethro is shorter but just as long (both brothers). I do have a 4-month-old kitten that is 5.10lbs lol. She is also a domestic long hair (fynn is DMH and Jetty is DLH) came from the same farm as the boys did.