Just Discovered My New Kitty Is Microchipped...

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey all. I could use some moral support.

About two months ago, a stray cat appeared on my doorstep. I definitely was not intending on taking in any more cats, but this fellow was super persistent -- he never left my front porch no matter what time of day I checked, jumped into my car one day I was going to work, so after about a week I decided to give in and brought him in the house.

I took him to the vet. The vet said he had no microchip (they did check), but he is eartipped and neutered, so we all immediately assumed he was a TNR cat and not anyone's pet -- he was also very scrawny and in pretty rough shape. Since then I found out he has some kidney issues and dental problems that I'm currently in the process of treating.

Anyway, today I took him to Petco to get him microchipped, and much to my shock, they found one. I looked it up, it was registered back in 2012, and I called the microchip company; they are trying to get in contact with the original owners but no luck yet.

I feel so sick. If the microchip was found by the vet's office two months ago it would have been fine, I didn't *want* another cat, but now I'm so attached. But I know more than anything that if one of my cats got out and someone found them, I would be devastated if they didn't try to return them. I hate not knowing what is going to happen. Will the microchip company be able to get in contact with the original owners? Do the original owners even want him anymore? I'm so afraid I'm about to lose him but I know it's the right thing to do.

The waiting is killing me.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's so rough that they didn't find it - have you had a chance to tell them? They need to know that they need to be more diligent in looking for a chip.

There's no way to know what the outcome of this might be - bless your heart, hang in there!! :vibes::heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, not yet! I have a vet appointment for a different cat coming up in another two weeks, so I will talk to them about it then.

Talked to the microchip company again, still no answer from the original owners... I mentioned that I was interested in keeping him if the original owners did not want him, and they told me if they can't reach the owners in ten days, I can switch the registration to my name. We'll see what happens! :/

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! I am so sorry you have to go through this. :(

Please keep us informed. A part of me hopes that your kitty stays with you forever. He is obviously deeply loved by you.

:(

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well i had a similar situation with Leo, 12 years ago he showed up one day in my backyard, hanging around, then he was there every single day 5 years later one of the neighbours saw him "suddenly" even though leo was sitting near their house, walked all around their property, walked around all the neighbour hood to the point that everyone knew him, sat infront of the house on the foot path every morning and afternoon and they lived 2 houses down, and they said that leo had an owner who lives a few houses behind us and he used to live with dogs, Leo is 9 kg so he is a big cat and hard to miss. So i figured if leo has an owner already and he wants to hang around in my back yard he can hang around,i was happy to feed him and love him, he was free to go and come if he wanted to go. And i figured that if the lady from two houses down knew the owners she would tell them and they would come to pick him up and take him home. They never did come by to take him, i was also secretly hoping that they wouldnt heheeh, i think they decided he couldnt live with dogs and just let him go to be with me, which i wouldnt have it any other way. Sadlly leo got sick and i did finally get him checked for micro and the shocking news was on the micro chip information stated that he was a female LOL , which shocked my vet and myself we all had to do a tripple check on him lol , but he is deffinatly a boy lol . Sadlly he passed away earlier this year , the time with him was the best and i wouldnt of had it any other way.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If he has been ear-tipped as well as micro-chipped and neutered he's probably from a feral colony. Feral caretakers are almost always delighted to hear that one of their cat has found a forever home. I hope you get some good news about this boy.

:heartshape:

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone! So far no news, I haven't heard anything back from the microchip company. It's getting my hopes up that I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm trying to not be too hopeful in case I get disappointed. But so far, good news for me!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first saw my Bourbon her ear was tipped. I did not know the meaning of it at that time. After months of her regularly coming at my front door and feeding her I decided to keep her, but first I checked for any microchip, which she had none.

Keep us informed. Hoping for the best for you.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is my story. In 2005 we adopted two cats from a shelter, Swanie and Cynthia. Both cats were chipped by the rescue and the chips were registered to us. We had them for I don't know how long, took them to the vet multiple times, etc. One time the vet decided to check the chip and found out Cynthia had two chips! She started to register both chips, but then decided not to put it down in the records. I don't know what her story was, but I think she had some abuse in her life, based on her behavior when we first got her. Did I ever feel guilty? Maybe a little, if she was someone's much loved cat who just got lost.... But at that point the only way someone was going to take her away from me was if they pried her out of my cold, dead hands. She had a really good life with us and her very good friend Swanie.

More recently, the rescue where I volunteer took in a cat who had a chip. They finally tracked down the owner who said she didn't want the cat back. So, sometimes just because there's a chip doesn't mean the cat has a loving home somewhere.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My boys were also chipped when they found their way to our front porch. We had a devil of a time locating their owner, who also didn't want them anymore. Good thing, because by that time we were head over heels in love with them and were hoping they didn't want them anymore.

wishing the best for C Cataria and her new found little buddy. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good news, everyone! For me at least. I called the microchip company again today, and they informed me that they were still unable to contact the registered owners. So I asked them to transfer the microchip registration to me, and they did! :D I guess I am now officially the owner of Ashwin.

ashwin.JPG