Just diagnosed with Kidney Failure, etc...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovemykittehs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you :) He is such a sweetheart!! I loooove him :p

The diarrhea definitely isn't caused by the Epakitin - he's been off of it it for a while now.  I am 100% sure the diarrhea was caused by the Clavamox - as he did get it instantly, on day one of the Clavamox.  I went out of town for a couple days earlier this week and left only dry food out for him and he did have a few hard poo's in his litterbox when I got back so I am stoked! I think he was a bit starved for the first day too so maybe he needed that period to clear up whatever he had goin on in his tummy.  He does still has diarrhea though. I plan to run the Proviable DC by my vet, and if he approves I will definitely be buying it.

Yes, I do administer the fluids myself.  My vet advised that I give 150ml every second day, but I read online that it is suggested to give 75ml every day, as anything more would just be excess and they would just pee it out.  I plan to give him 100ml every other day, as he does have a heart murmur and I'm a bit paranoid about that.  I buy the supplies for the fluids from the vet - I find the prices to be pretty reasonable.  I buy each bag (1000ml) for $10.  I went to a different vet clinic while I was out of town and purchased some more @ $5/bag - cheap!.  The line I believe was around $9-10.  My vet gave me a bunch of needles for free last time I was in so that was nice. But that's what I pay - I'm not sure what everyone else pays?? I live in Canada, not the U.S, like the majority of everyone here :p 

Again, I thank everyone for the tips and advice - it is much appreciated!

I will be getting Smokey his surgery as soon as I can....need to get a job first - this economy is brutal!!! :/

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see a reason why your vet shouldn't approve Proviable-DC.... It is, IMHO the best probiotic out there, and that's all it is a probiotic.... I would suggest, however, that you get it online - vets sell it for $80+, while online you buy for $36 with free shipping...... BIG savings. I had 3 vets, in 3 different clinics (yep, I work with 3 vets :lol3:) recommend this to Bugsy for his diarrhea.... Here is a link for you: Proviable-DC.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow, if your vet sells a 1000 ml bag for $10, including the IV set-up, that's pretty reasonable, I think.  Free needles is great!  My Vet charges $65 for one bag with IV set-up, so, needless to say, we don't buy them there!!!!!    I found IV set-ups for $1.10, and 100 needles for $7 on the internet.  We currently get our fluids at the corner drugstore 2/$11, but might start ordering them via the internet also, since we've dramatically increased the amount we're now giving (150 ml/ 3 times per week, up from once a week)

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Proviable has 7 strains of bacteria whereas Fortiflora only has one. So the odds of your cat getting one he needs is increased with Proviable. Also give omega 3 fatty acids as they help with immunity and kidneys etc. Nutramax makes one called welactin. As with all supplements, you should do research. Since supplements aren't regulated, many times a product will not have the actually active ingredient it.claims it does. Ask for.proof that the product works and is safe. Don't just trust the company's research, ask for independent studies of the product's safety and efficacy.

lovemykittehs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, the IV set up is extra. I've been paying $10 per bag and the line is another $10 or so. But now that I found a place out of town for $5/bag I'll be grabbing some from there again!!

As far as the yogourt goes, I give him only organic, 0% or 2% fat yogourt - no junk ingrediants, and he eats it 2-3 times a day (around 2 tbl spoons each time :)) That's weird your cat doesn't like yogourt - every cat I've had LOVES it!!

Do you think it's necessary to still order Proviable DC even if he is starting to have some formed poos now? I think he is making slow progress..but hopefully on his way to having his lil stomach recovered...

lovemykittehs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also wanted to mention that my cat has always been overly enthusiastic about drinking water, his entire life.... now just recently, for maybe 2-3 weeks now he rarely drinks it.  What could this mean? I already add a ton of water to his wet food to help him with eating because of his rotten teeth, so he is definitely not dehydrated.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also wanted to mention that my cat has always been overly enthusiastic about drinking water, his entire life.... now just recently, for maybe 2-3 weeks now he rarely drinks it.  What could this mean? I already add a ton of water to his wet food to help him with eating because of his rotten teeth, so he is definitely not dehydrated.
The fluids and the watery meals are filling his water requirements. It's quite common for a cat on fluid therapy to not drink at all.

My vet writes me a prescription for a case of fluids and I have it filled at my human pharmacy. One case, 12 bags of lactated ringers, is $20 at the pharmacy. One BAG at the vet is $22. I still have to get the tube sets at the vet though, but the needles also can be gotten with a prescription at the human pharmacy.

PS...it may be different in Canada, seems I read that elsewhere recently, that you can't get fluids through the pharmacy I mean. I'm in the USA. You will have to check your local pharmacy to find out if they can get the fluids in for you. If you can't get a prescription, see if your vet will sell you a case, at a savings, rather than by the bag

I would keep some proviable dc on hand. You never know when you might need it. It's great stuff.

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

lovemykittehs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That makes sense.  I was also suspecting that since half of one of his teeth has broken off, that maybe the coldness of the water was bothering him.

Thanks Otto! :)

lovemykittehs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, so good news...I priced out the dental cleaning and surgery with my vet and it doesn't seem to be all that expensive afterall... Today I received a donation toward Smokey's procedure and my mom said she will pay the remainder so I plan to have him in around the second week of Dec to get it done - I want to have it done before Christmas.

I was told that the dental cleaning is $180 with IV fluids, each extraction is $25 (I'm pretty sure he just has two tiny pieces of teeth to be pulled out), then antibiotics and pain injections on top of it.

- So according to everyone's words of advise: I ask that my vet use sevoflourane gas anesthesia only, be hooked up to an IV catheter for the entire procedure (as well as afterward) and put on clindamycin antibiotic - I hope this in an injection??

- Do I need to have a blood test done prior to the surgery? I last tested his levels earlier this month and they showed much improvement.

Sooo is this everything then? Anything else I should know or expect? I am pretty nervous about the whole thing - I really don't want to lose my lil guy over this surgery.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your vet may or may not want to redo the blood work. Usually anything past a month, they'd rather redo it. I know it gets costly, but things can change so quickly for our special ones.....I hope you will update right before the procedure so we can have Smokey in our thoughts on the actual day.

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You might also want to ask the vet about a Fentanyl pain patch. It will last longer than the injected analgesics and you don't have to keep messing with a painful mouth trying to get pills into Smokey. Keep an eye on his appetite after the dental to make sure he's eating enough. Giving him watered down canned food or baby food that he can lap up instead of chew could help.

lovemykittehs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh I also forgot to say that his diarrhea has now completely gone away :) I've been feeding him probiotic yogourt every day and I guess that did the trick... so relieved!!