Just desperately need to vent

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
I really wish I could do that as well. I am getting too much grief over the kitties yet again. It wears you down at times.

So sorry that you were never able to find out what happened to the missing cats. Your boyfriend could talk to that man about "The Vaccuum Effect" to the cows come home and that person will keep complaining about the cats. There are people who are very stubborn and ignorant and will never accept any other solution other than what they perceive as the solution (dumping cats elsewhere, etc]. I have had to deal with a few of these types, and it is very frustrating because there is no way of getting through to them. 😕 The cat proofing of his fence seems costly, could you try cat pellets or some other solution first? I bought a Sonic cat Deterrent for a neighbor some years ago, and they handed back to me saying it would drive their dogs crazy. My views of this product has changed over the years, but I heard of some cat caretakers using it. Look into it and see if this is something you agree with. I bought this product on Amazon for less than $40 some years ago.

Well, I hope you catch a break soon. You been through too much in the last year. Take care. Hope things improve from here on out. 🙂
Yes, I’m definitely going to try the motion sensored deterrents first, but i haven’t had much luck with that compromise in the past when the people have dogs, so I’m not super optimistic :(

I was thinking of also maybe dumping bags of sand in random areas like “informal sand boxes” in the woods to better encourage them to go potty back there.

The soil in the woods is very hard and dry, but this guys lawn is very well taken care of and the soil is softer, which may be why they’re attracted to it. Maybe if I give them better areas to dig in the woods, it will help keep them back there.

We’ve also thought about using scent deterrents along their fence line and on top of their fence

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the late response.

I hate to say, we have almost given up on the other cats at this point.

Every day has been pulling teeth trying to get straight answers from the gas station employees, and the city animal control won’t tell us anything.

And of course, we have more human intervention now.

Someone called the number we leave out at our colony at the woods. He wants the cats gone.

He’s convinced the cats gave his dog ringworm (extremely unlikely), and that the cats are pooping in his yard (which is probably rare considering they have a massive wooded area and this guy has a large dog).

He think us providing shelter and food is what’s keeping/attracting them there, etc

He said he really hates cats, but understands what we’re doing and wants to resolve this as civilly as possible.

Of course, nice as he was, it was all but implied that the only resolution this guy would accept is that all the cats are gone, and soon.

He reiterated he gets what we’re doing but he doesn’t want to be dealing with these cats the next seven years.

My boyfriend is the one who spoke to him, and he tried to explain the vacuum effect, but I definitely need to elaborate to the guy - he lives near woods. There are absolutely always going to be cats because of the food and shelter that area naturally provides.

There are also a handful of pet cats who live near him, and I’m wondering if he’s mixing up those cats for ours.

I’m not sure what to do, honestly. I’m just so tired of all of this. These cats aren’t at fault, and neither are we.

It’s really frustrating because we were planning on looking for some land to move to so that we could take all the cats with us and just finally not have to worry about them anymore or deal with people like this. But that was a probably two year plan.

I’m trying to think of other solutions. Only thing that comes to mind is offering to pay to cat proof his fence, but even if he were to agree, that’s costly and doesn’t guarantee the other neighbors won’t complain about something else.

I swear we cannot catch a damn break this past year.
:argh::cloudy::frustrated::bat::angrywoman::fuming::alright::grouphug2::grouphug::redheartpump::hearthrob::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::sigh::petcat::catrub::purr::lovecat::lovecat2:

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
Well… went to feed this morning, and OF COURSE, they stole the bowls.

WHY do people steal bowls?! This happens every time, and it’s especially frustrating when they knew they were about to contact us anyway - there’s absolutely no need.

I swear I’ve had to spend $40 to replace bowls this year. We have to use special ant-proof ones in most places, although the ones that were stolen this time were even more expensive because they were big camouflage dog bowls to be less noticeable to the few homes that can see out where we feed.

He also not only stole, but destroyed the trap tag we left with our contact information. I know it’s destroyed because the zip tie is still there. Why not just take a picture with your phone or write it down?!

I know these are little things in the scope of everything else, but they seriously get under my skin. This year alone we’ve had countless bowls and two game cameras stolen. Ugh.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Well… went to feed this morning, and OF COURSE, they stole the bowls.

WHY do people steal bowls?! This happens every time, and it’s especially frustrating when they knew they were about to contact us anyway - there’s absolutely no need.

I swear I’ve had to spend $40 to replace bowls this year. We have to use special ant-proof ones in most places, although the ones that were stolen this time were even more expensive because they were big camouflage dog bowls to be less noticeable to the few homes that can see out where we feed.

He also not only stole, but destroyed the trap tag we left with our contact information. I know it’s destroyed because the zip tie is still there. Why not just take a picture with your phone or write it down?!

I know these are little things in the scope of everything else, but they seriously get under my skin. This year alone we’ve had countless bowls and two game cameras stolen. Ugh.
:argh: :cloudy: :fuming: :frustrated: :alright::grouphug2::grouphug::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::hugs::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::redheartpump::hearthrob:
Are the local police any help at all? Is there an Alley Cat Allies anywhere close? They may have some advice. Maybe contact your local tv station? Here in our town they do a local public service show and usually recieve donations and public support for whatever their show is about. I've read that some feral/stray feeders contact manufacturers and sometimed receive donations of food and other supplies. Maybe start a GoFundMe requesting help paying for replacements and/or other needed items. I don't know if my advice is of any aid but remember we are always here for you:heartshape::bouquet:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
For shame!🙁 This guy is not yielding in his stand and this passive--aggressive bs behavior perfectly shows that. People can just suck at times! When I was looking for my lost pet cat years ago, I had some callous jerks that would tear down my posters. I try putting up more posters with the same result. 😬 What was their problem? Such passive aggressive jerk behavior. As someone mentioned, since this bowl stealing is becoming expensive (along with other incurred expenses) maybe you could do a Go Fund Me.

Try getting support from the people in the area. The more people visibly on your side, it may make those other people rethink about stealing, tapering or disposing of bowls, cameras, and other items. Sorry you have to put up with so much bs. I hope things improve for you soon.🙂

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
The same guy that called you to complain about the cats pooping in his yard and spreading ringworm? Or do you think someone else took them?
Yeah, it was definitely the guy who called.

I’m sure he’ll return them when we ask. I just never understand what makes people feel justified in stealing someone else’s property just because they’re mad about them feeding cats.

It makes even less sense to me when they also intend on contacting us, like this guy did.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
:argh: :cloudy: :fuming: :frustrated: :alright::grouphug2::grouphug::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::hugs::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::redheartpump::hearthrob:
Are the local police any help at all? Is there an Alley Cat Allies anywhere close? They may have some advice. Maybe contact your local tv station? Here in our town they do a local public service show and usually recieve donations and public support for whatever their show is about. I've read that some feral/stray feeders contact manufacturers and sometimed receive donations of food and other supplies. Maybe start a GoFundMe requesting help paying for replacements and/or other needed items. I don't know if my advice is of any aid but remember we are always here for you:heartshape::bouquet:
Thank you, all of you 🖤

I’ve contacted everyone on ACA feral friends network, hopefully something will come through.

With everything that’s been going on lately - the loss of our favorite feral from this colony, the loss of my dog, the fact that the gas station colony was almost certainly destroyed - I just don’t think I can keep it together talking to this guy. I’m so tired and desperate and angry and sad. Way too emotional right now. When I was practicing with my boyfriend, I just kept losing it.

So I’ve primarily put a call out for a mediator and advocate to help me educate and negotiate with this guy.

I am talking to one rescue that I was connected with through my Facebook rescue network… they’re a breed specific rescue, so I’m not yet sure how familiar they are with community cats. But she said she had training in mediating.

She also happens to travel to my town every Thursday to go to our spay/neuter clinic. She has 7 appointments reserved every Thursday and said she’d be willing to give us 1-2 of the appointments every week until our colony is all fixed. So that’s pretty huge! It’s been really difficult to get in since this summer.

Hopefully I’ll find out more when I talk to her tonight.

We also have several relocation back up plans we’re working on in case negotiating doesn’t work out. Trying to avoid that as much as possible, though.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, all of you 🖤

I’ve contacted everyone on ACA feral friends network, hopefully something will come through.

With everything that’s been going on lately - the loss of our favorite feral from this colony, the loss of my dog, the fact that the gas station colony was almost certainly destroyed - I just don’t think I can keep it together talking to this guy. I’m so tired and desperate and angry and sad. Way too emotional right now. When I was practicing with my boyfriend, I just kept losing it.

So I’ve primarily put a call out for a mediator and advocate to help me educate and negotiate with this guy.

I am talking to one rescue that I was connected with through my Facebook rescue network… they’re a breed specific rescue, so I’m not yet sure how familiar they are with community cats. But she said she had training in mediating.

She also happens to travel to my town every Thursday to go to our spay/neuter clinic. She has 7 appointments reserved every Thursday and said she’d be willing to give us 1-2 of the appointments every week until our colony is all fixed. So that’s pretty huge! It’s been really difficult to get in since this summer.

Hopefully I’ll find out more when I talk to her tonight.

We also have several relocation back up plans we’re working on in case negotiating doesn’t work out. Trying to avoid that as much as possible, though.
:redheartpump::hearthrob::clap2::clap::vibes::vibes::vibes::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::goodluck::goodluck::goodluck::bouquet::grouphug2: Big hugs for fabulous you and for your wonderful boy friend :grouphug::touched::bouquet::grouphug2:

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
I am in complete tears right now.

Last night was a good night. I talked to the woman who runs the rescue and has a background in mediation.

She was a SAINT. We are on the same page, and she is SO willing to help me in so many ways. I felt more positive and less alone than I have ever felt since being involved in cat rescue.

We also reached out to the neighbor in good faith to make sure he knew we weren’t blowing him off.

We offered to cover all expenses related to his dog’s ringworm (since this was a specific complaint of his), and said we were working on a solution for the cats.

His response was “I appreciate the offer, but you don’t need to do that. Just want the cats gone ASAP. Hope you find something soon”

So not the best response, but still very civil.

Then today, when we go to feed, we show up to our bowls being returned… and every shelter, feeding station, and trap flipped and thrown all over the :censored: place. One of our traps was even dented.

6994C0F8-AE80-415C-B500-579C9281C154.jpeg

3E1EE145-8AF7-49A8-BA05-9873740040F4.jpeg

287316A8-A209-4FC0-8891-97CDFB232B32.jpeg

9ADD46E3-A0F2-4FD1-9DF5-FF21D65ED14F.jpeg

8B120192-3F11-4423-89F7-C1E893A317CF.jpeg

I am devastated, and I am livid.

My boyfriend immediately called the guy, who of course sent him straight to voicemail. He also texted “Sorry, can’t talk right now.”

I told my boyfriend to text him with something saying “I’m sorry if there was a misunderstanding, but I thought you said you wanted to handle this civilly” but my boyfriend is insistent on actually speaking to him.

I’ve reached out to the mediator. I’m going to see what she says.

Depending on that, and if the guy keeps refusing to communicate, I think I’m just going to put him on blast on Nextdoor.

I won’t name him (I know for a fact he and his wife are active on ND), but I will post the pictures and make a PSA of sorts like “Dear Neighbors, if you have an issue with the voluntary service colony caretakers contribute to this community, this is not the way to handle it” and also include that it is a crime to harm, kill or poison feral cats.

This could land me in some trouble, and even the cats too - but on every post about ferals that’s been on Nextdoor, the majority of people have been pro-TNR.

My mom is going to also talk to my dad about allowing us to build an enclosure for the cats on their land, to keep them safe until we’re able to move and take them with us.

We also have a friend in rescue with a barn. We’re asking if she could be a stop gap to get the cats out ASAP before we can (hopefully) get an enclosure built at my parents.

A post on Nextdoor will also help get the word out for potential barn homes too. We really wanted to keep these guys because we are very attached - but at this point, their safety comes first.

Man… when I first made this post, little did I know how much worse things were going to get 😭

Attachments

Last edited:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry moxiewild moxiewild I just knew from reading your other posts that this man would be difficult. I have seen it before. They are not interested in humane solutions, only the most convenient one, and sadly that means the cats are no longer there (either AC traps them or they are dumped somewhere).🤬 Completely infuriating!!! I have some more bs brewing on my end over the cats I feed. That hoarder lady keeps dumping them on me and it is attracting people to my block. Some not happy I feed. We have some very ambitious contractors in the area and with the person who keeps coming on my block spying on me and taking pics of the cats and me--I suspect is either a realtor who is interested in selling a house or a Contracter who wants to buy, raze and rebuild a house on the block and sell for good profit. Funny thing, is that houses have sold on the block and there are also renters. Heck, we even had tv and Cable crews filming shows. So are the cats really a problem? Someone is spreading a rumor that I am getting sued over the cats. So far nothing has transpired. If there is any real intent, the person is very ignorant of animal law in my state. It is not illegal to feed cats. As long as they are tnred and I properly clean up the feeding area--it should be okay. I have dealt with so much bs over feeding cats--this is the latest. On top of that I struggle to feed them between money struggles and supply shortages, it is getting harder and harder to keep up with this. It truly is a labor of love. Everyone who feeds cats is worried about getting there cats through winter. 😟

Back to your situation. This man is dead set in his ways . The fact he was talking to your boyfriend and wouldn't try to go the humane route shows he had his plans and nobody was going to change his mind. The organization who would of acted as a mediator on your behalf could have tried as well, but it doesn't sound like they would have broke through to this guy.

*Please don't call him out by name on any social media site. It could open the doors to legal troubles. * Instead be very general (no singling anyone out in anyway) by saying that you would like to educate the general public on community cats, then proceed to do so. Yes, do post about the penalty for harming cats in your state. There is nothing wrong with that. In my state a person could be charge with a felony and could be jailed for up to 5 years and/or fined up to $5,000. I am so glad my state has this penalty. 🙂 Once again try to keep it general. You can mention things you have seen as a tnr/rescuer/advocate but thread carefully.

I am so happy your parents will allow you to make an enclosure on there property and that a friend will take some kitties in as barn kitties, even if it is on a temporary basis.
Also that organization you mentioned sounds like they really want to help you. It is good to have supportive people around you. Ofcourse, you have your fellow caretakers/rescuers here on TCS who will always lend an ear and some emotional support. I hope you find some more help and that you can take any kitty in a dangerous enviroment to a safer place. I wish the same for my cats, but it is not easy finding help. I have tried and failed. I will try again. I hope things go differently this time.

Well take care. I hope you start feeling better. Hang in there. :rock::purr:

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry moxiewild moxiewild I just knew from reading your other posts that this man would be difficult. I have seen it before. They are not interested in humane solutions, only the most convenient one, and sadly that means the cats are no longer there (either AC traps them or they are dumped somewhere).🤬 Completely infuriating!!! I have some more bs brewing on my end over the cats I feed. That hoarder lady keeps dumping them on me and it is attracting people to my block. Some not happy I feed. We have some very ambitious contractors in the area and with the person who keeps coming on my block spying on me and taking pics of the cats and me--I suspect is either a realtor who is interested in selling a house or a Contracter who wants to buy, raze and rebuild a house on the block and sell for good profit. Funny thing, is that houses have sold on the block and there are also renters. Heck, we even had tv and Cable crews filming shows. So are the cats really a problem? Someone is spreading a rumor that I am getting sued over the cats. So far nothing has transpired. If there is any real intent, the person is very ignorant of animal law in my state. It is not illegal to feed cats. As long as they are tnred and I properly clean up the feeding area--it should be okay. I have dealt with so much bs over feeding cats--this is the latest. On top of that I struggle to feed them between money struggles and supply shortages, it is getting harder and harder to keep up with this. It truly is a labor of love. Everyone who feeds cats is worried about getting there cats through winter. 😟

Back to your situation. This man is dead set in his ways . The fact he was talking to your boyfriend and wouldn't try to go the humane route shows he had his plans and nobody was going to change his mind. The organization who would of acted as a mediator on your behalf could have tried as well, but it doesn't sound like they would have broke through to this guy.

*Please don't call him out by name on any social media site. It could open the doors to legal troubles. * Instead be very general (no singling anyone out in anyway) by saying that you would like to educate the general public on community cats, then proceed to do so. Yes, do post about the penalty for harming cats in your state. There is nothing wrong with that. In my state a person could be charge with a felony and could be jailed for up to 5 years and/or fined up to $5,000. I am so glad my state has this penalty. 🙂 Once again try to keep it general. You can mention things you have seen as a tnr/rescuer/advocate but thread carefully.

I am so happy your parents will allow you to make an enclosure on there property and that a friend will take some kitties in as barn kitties, even if it is on a temporary basis.
Also that organization you mentioned sounds like they really want to help you. It is good to have supportive people around you. Ofcourse, you have your fellow caretakers/rescuers here on TCS who will always lend an ear and some emotional support. I hope you find some more help and that you can take any kitty in a dangerous enviroment to a safer place. I wish the same for my cats, but it is not easy finding help. I have tried and failed. I will try again. I hope things go differently this time.

Well take care. I hope you start feeling better. Hang in there. :rock::purr:
Thank you, I know you’ve had an ongoing difficult situation of your own for a while now, and I’m so sorry.

I just really do not understand why he has been so largely civil with us and saying he was fine giving us time, and then a mere two days later having such a violent outburst.

Even if we could get him to meet up for a mediation, I feel like I can’t trust anything he says now!

Don’t worry, like I said, I won’t name him. But I really need to rally local support right now, and this is one of the best ways I can think of to do it.

I’m still waiting to hear back from the mediator. I presume she’s busy with her rescue, so I didn’t want to badger her too much, especially on the weekend.

We’re definitely not out of the woods yet by any means. I have no idea if my parents will agree to the enclosure (my mom absolutely would, but my dad’s a harder sell, and our relationship is currently already strained right now unfortunately).

I also have no idea if our friend with the barn will or can take the cats. We’re offering full financial support for them if she does, but we’re talking around 14 cats. That’s a lot for anyone to take on…

My mom also told me she saw someone comment on Nextdoor that there were developers at the green belt behind my house where one of our other colonies live.

We were told apartments were going to be built there over 7 years ago and it never happened. If they start building, I have no idea what I’m going to do with my colony there either!

God, this is so stressful. I am more determined than ever to change the ordinances here now to protect community cats and their caretakers, but I don’t know when I’ll ever be able to get to it if there’s always a crisis going on with my colonies!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you can at all do relocation, try for that whatever it takes. I certainly have had almost nothing to add here; if I had any decent ideas for you or Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose I would have said what they were. Don't confuse civility with underlying intentions. It costs this guy nothing to be civil to your face and then sneak out and night and mess with the cats.

I agree that you have to be careful with ND. It is very popular here and may only give fuel to his fire if he thinks that you identified him in any way.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
moxiewild moxiewild . I know it is completely frustrating dealing with someone who acts civil when talked to, but sneaks off and tries to destroy your whole feeding/caretaking operation--while also trying to drive off the cats. From your end, everything was civil. Your boyfriend nicely talked the guy to educate him, you were looking into feasible solutions to the problem--heck, you even offered to pay for his dog Ringworm treatment! You even wanted to get another Rescue Organization involved to act as a mediator. You and your boyfriend were trying so hard to win this guy over, but instead he acts like a real two-faced jerk.😡 Perhaps, he thought that you would think someone else messed up your setup for the cats, even damaging a cat trap. He is a coward in the end because he is avoiding your boyfriend and not trying to deal with the problem humanely. Sometimes these passive aggressive types are worse than those who are dead set against taking care of a cat colony. At least with the latter, you know what you are dealing with. These passive aggressive types can play you, making you think that they are on the same page as you, and then they go off and do the bs that they do. I took an online webinar some years ago about dealing with Neighbors who do not want feral cats around. They mentioned that there are some people (despite you going above and beyond trying to be a good advocate for the cats), who you cannot win over. At this point, try to get the rest of the neighbors aboard, so they understand the community cats, your role as a caregiver/advocate, and how tnr is the answer to keeping the cat population in check. I think it puts peoples minds at ease knowing that you are taking care of the cats and that the cat population will not explode. Before I got tnr certified, the cat situation was a nightmare. Litters of kittens born everywhere! It was very stressful knowing if something is not done about this, the cat population will grow exponentially in no time. When we got the tnr group out here and I trapped along side of them----There was such relief!! Neighbors came out and thanked the group. You could see how happy they were. Presently, we still have a large post tnr colony, but TG it is not growing. That is despite my predicament where the other feeder is dumping cats on me.

I heard of tnr groups that come on blocks or areas and talk to the residents and educate them about feral cats and tnr. The tnr group that helped my block, even goes to elementary and middle schools and teaches them about tnr and feral cats. I think that is brilliant because it is getting them young to have their eyes opened to feral cat situations. Hopefully, it will influence these students as they get older to help the feral cats and practice tnr or at the very least it teaches tolerance towards the feral kitties. Get together with other like-minded individuals and look into educating people about ferals. One of the stupidest things that people believe is that once the cats have been eradicated from an area, everything will be okay.:doh::gaah: The Vacuum Effect has to be taught. We still have cities and Municipalities in our country that eradicate cats by the trap and euthanize approach. This barbaric bs must end. I am all for changing the laws, but education must come first. Get as many people aboard as possible.

Developers and Contracters have been a problem in my neck of the woods. Sometimes you read about Caretakers in a bad situation with them. I hope and pray that both of us don't have to go through this nonsense. However, I know you are a fighter and I will not stand being pushed around and my cats being put in jeopardy either. If they start up, get as many organizations involved as possible, even Ally Cat Allies. These Developers think they can bulldoze over everyone that gets their way. It is time they respect the cats rights to exist. They were there first after all.

Hang tough. 💪 You are a great caretaker/advocate for the cats. You are making a world of difference in there lives. ❤

Last edited:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
If you can at all do relocation, try for that whatever it takes. I certainly have had almost nothing to add here; if I had any decent ideas for you or Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose I would have said what they were. Don't confuse civility with underlying intentions. It costs this guy nothing to be civil to your face and then sneak out and night and mess with the cats.

I agree that you have to be careful with ND. It is very popular here and may only give fuel to his fire if he thinks that you identified him in any way.
Exactly, I couldn't say it better myself. This guy may act civil in person, but he has his agenda that he is stubbornly holding onto.

I am holding on. Not everyone who comes down my block is against the cats. There are some people who come down my block to see the cats. They seem to like them. However, this women has a different vibe to her. She took pics of me feeding the cats and she has come numberous times watching me feed. Plus, there is a nasty rumor going around as mentioned earlier. It may be bs, but we got so ambitious developers in my area so anything is possible. Anyway, I have the law on my side. TG. 🙂

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
moxiewild moxiewild I'm sorry you're having to go through more of this crap just to take care of your colony.

It's very weird that the man would be civil, return your bowls and then trash all the shelters like that. Are you sure he is the one? Is there any way you could hide a trail camera up in a tree over-looking the area so you can check exactly what is going on?

Have you ever spoken to his wife? I wonder if she would be more open to listening to what you have to say.

Sending you hugs and moral support.

:hugs: :vibes::hugs::vibes::hugs::vibes::hugs::vibes::hugs:

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
moxiewild moxiewild . I know it is completely frustrating dealing with someone who acts civil when talked to, but sneaks off and tries to destroy your whole feeding/caretaking operation--while also trying to drive off the cats. From your end, everything was civil. Your boyfriend nicely talked the guy to educate him, you were looking into feasible solutions to the problem--heck, you even offered to pay for his dog Ringworm treatment! You even wanted to get another Rescue Organization involved to act as a mediator. You and your boyfriend were trying so hard to win this guy over, but instead he acts like a real two-faced jerk.😡 Perhaps, he thought that you would think someone else messed up your setup for the cats, even damaging a cat trap. He is a coward in the end because he is avoiding your boyfriend and not trying to deal with the problem humanely. Sometimes these passive aggressive types are worse than those who are dead set against taking care of a cat colony. At least with the latter, you know what you are dealing with. These passive aggressive types can play you, making you think that they are on the same page as you, and then they go off and do the bs that they do. I took an online webinar some years ago about dealing with Neighbors who do not want feral cats around. They mentioned that there are some people (despite you going above and beyond trying to be a good advocate for the cats), who you cannot win over. At this point, try to get the rest of the neighbors aboard, so they understand the community cats, your role as a caregiver/advocate, and how tnr is the answer to keeping the cat population in check. I think it puts peoples minds at ease knowing that you are taking care of the cats and that the cat population will not explode. Before I got tnr certified, the cat situation was a nightmare. Litters of kittens born everywhere! It was very stressful knowing if something is not done about this, the cat population will grow exponentially in no time. When we got the tnr group out here and I trapped along side of them----There was such relief!! Neighbors came out and thanked the group. You could see how happy they were. Presently, we still have a large post tnr colony, but TG it is not growing. That is despite my predicament where the other feeder is dumping cats on me.

I heard of tnr groups that come on blocks or areas and talk to the residents and educate them about feral cats and tnr. The tnr group that helped my block, even goes to elementary and middle schools and teaches them about tnr and feral cats. I think that is brilliant because it is getting them young to have their eyes opened to feral cat situations. Hopefully, it will influence these students as they get older to help the feral cats and practice tnr or at the very least it teaches tolerance towards the feral kitties. Get together with other like-minded individuals and look into educating people about ferals. One of the stupidest things that people believe is that once the cats have been eradicated from an area, everything will be okay.:doh::gaah: The Vacuum Effect has to be taught. We still have cities and Municipalities in our country that eradicate cats by the trap and euthanize approach. This barbaric bs must end. I am all for changing the laws, but education must come first. Get as many people aboard as possible.

Developers and Contracters have been a problem in my neck of the woods. Sometimes you read about Caretakers in a bad situation with them. I hope and pray that both of us don't have to go through this nonsense. However, I know you are a fighter and I will not stand being pushed around and my cats being put in jeopardy either. If they start up, get as many organizations involved as possible, even Ally Cat Allies. These Developers think they can bulldoze over everyone that gets their way. It is time they respect the cats rights to exist. They were there first after all.

Hang tough. 💪 You are a great caretaker/advocate for the cats. You are making a world of difference in there lives. ❤
Can I ask what your city/county laws are in terms of TNR and feeding managed colonies?

I think I’ve said this before, but ours is in kind of a grey area. They subsidize the local spay/neuter clinic that heavily promotes TNR for ferals, yet the city and county themselves default to catch and kill if someone calls in about .

The way the ordinances are written, there are none pertaining to ferals aside from prohibiting abuse and killing them. There are definite typical issues with the definitions of “owner” and such. If someone in the government was motivated enough to actually pursue a caretaker, they absolutely could.

In our experience, every time the cops have either caught us or been thoroughly notified about what we’re doing by someone else, and they’ve never had an issue over it at all.

I definitely now have at least two rescues helping to educate, but I’m nervous about the city/county, and also the HOA.

moxiewild moxiewild I'm sorry you're having to go through more of this crap just to take care of your colony.

It's very weird that the man would be civil, return your bowls and then trash all the shelters like that. Are you sure he is the one? Is there any way you could hide a trail camera up in a tree over-looking the area so you can check exactly what is going on?

Have you ever spoken to his wife? I wonder if she would be more open to listening to what you have to say.

Sending you hugs and moral support.

:hugs: :vibes::hugs::vibes::hugs::vibes::hugs::vibes::hugs:
There are multiple reasons I am certain it’s him.

1. Timing. In a year and a half of taking care of this colony, no one has seemed to go back there. No one has called us, messed with, or stolen anything.

This is the first person we’ve ever known to go back there. He calls and complains, and only two days later, everything is destroyed.

2.The bowls being returned.

first time he came, two bowls were stolen. The second time he came, those bowls were returned.

“Returned” is a nice way of putting it, though.

What he actually did, was throw the bowls deep into the woods.

It was not like the bowls were on the ground near the feeding station simply because that’s where they fell when he knocked everything over. No, they were intentionally thrown -

DCD926D8-2BBF-4678-8EC6-4CB87832587F.jpeg

And, one of the melamine bowls was either thrown or stomped on with such force, that it completely shattered -

B6FE2B43-495D-42F9-B801-6B4948C29D6C.jpeg

3. The mysteriously flipped over bowl.

On the first day he came, he only took two bowls. He didn’t bother or maybe even know about the bowls we have under covered feeding stations.

There was only one other bowl that sits on top of another feeding station. After the first time he came, that bowl was on the ground, about 6 or so feet from where it usually is.

i remember because of how unusual it was. I can count on one hand how many times that has ever happened.

I briefly thought maybe the neighbor did it, but then disregarded that because he had been largely civil with us.

I figured maybe the cats were playing and kicked it off. Maybe a raccoon came by - though that doesn’t happen often because we make sure to only give them enough food to ensure all is gone by 6pm. There were also no other telltale signs of raccoons, like dirty water, the bowls under cover being messed up.

After the second day and finding out this neighbor has a propensity for throwing bowls and tantrums, I now think he probably did it.

It’s certainly weak evidence, but combined with the other things, I think it certainly helps in pointing toward him.

4. The call after.

When we called him afterward, he immediately screened the call and texted he couldn’t talk right now.

He has not tried to reach out to us since, whereas before, he had gotten back to us by the end of the day both times.

again, weak on its own, but in combination with everything else, it makes sense.

We usually do have a trail camera out there, but I removed it after he first contacted us. Like I said, we’ve had a tough time hiding them from humans and they always steal it whenever they steal/mess with our stuff anyway. I didn’t want to have to replace another.

We thought about mounting it high in a tree, but having it high enough to deter him would make it impossible to maintain. The storage is full by day 2, and by day 3, the batteries must be recharged.

He also broke our camera mount during his outburst!

I am fairly confident the wife is no better. I’ve seen her on Nextdoor and she can be quite rude, actually. I wasn’t surprised at all that her husband apparently has anger issues (or hey, it could have been her who did it, who knows - we do know that she went with him the first time).

we’re going to try and move the feeding station deeper in the woods. It will be really difficult because the woods are on an incline and we haven’t even been able to get shelters to not tumble down the hill. But we’re going to try.

hopefully doing so will give me a better place to hide the camera, as well as encourage the cats to stay farther away from him, and discourage him from coming after our stuff and the cats.

Last edited:

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
Quick update -

We’ve found a place for the cats to stay. Which is good, because now it looks like we might need to move our colony at our house too with a possible apartment complex being built where they live.

Building a large enclosure, however, will take time that I’m not sure we have with this guy.

We’re trying to figure out what to do in the meantime.

We’re going to try moving the feeding station deeper in the woods. And spray repellent along the guy’s fence line.

And now I’m trying to officially figure out who owns this property. I am fairly sure it is the HOA. Hopefully I can confirm with the tax accessor tomorrow. I’ve also reached out to a neighbor on the board.

If they confirm the HOA owns it, I’m contemplating getting their approval - and if they won’t give it, then will they give us time to build the enclosure and remove the cats? (Even though I really didn’t want to relocate them because I know other cats will eventually move in this area for sure, I just can’t trust this guy around my kitties).

I was thinking of approaching it by saying, “we noticed a bunch of litters back there and have been trapping the kittens for adoption. We’ve also spayed a few, and just wanted to see if we could get permission to TNR and manage the colony back there.”

That way, if they agree, we can press charges or threaten to if he destroys our property again. And get his threats toward the cats on record too.

I’m much more confident in convincing people of TNR as opposed to the continued management with feeding and shelters, though. Which is why I was thinking of vaguely phrasing “manage the colony” and hope they won’t press further.

If they do press, do feeding, I usually say that it knocks out the primary motivation for cats to hunt, helping to protect native birds. And food and shelter also help to keep the cats IN the woods, and not out in the neighborhood looking for food, water, and warmth.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on this part? There’s so much information to help with TNR arguments and education, but not a whole lot on continued management.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Great news about finding a place for the cats to stay.

I think you should point out that TNR'd cats don't move far from their safe location provided they have shelter and regular food and water. Also that once they are an established colony they will prevent other animals that could be seen as a nuisance from thriving in that area. They'll keep down the rodent population. My cats have been known to chase civet cats and tanuki out of their area, I don't know what kind of "nuisance" wildlife you might have.

Oh, less cats roaming around cuts down on traffic accidents? Maybe you could mention that? And a colony of vaccinated cats acts as a buffer between humans and other wildlife in places where rabies is a problem.

The Benefit of Community Cats in Businesses - New Braunfels Community Cat Coalition