Just desperately need to vent

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Horrible man! Does the law protect you in anyway? It's insane that he can get away with vandalism and criminal damage that way. How are things going with the mediator, is she able to come out and talk to him?
He/they really are quite terrible!

I really don’t want him to get away with this or any further vandalism, either.

That’s one reason why we’re really hoping to get permission to be there now. That will give us more recourse when it comes to damaged property and threats to the cats.

As it is now, I’m not clear if the laws protect us. If the HOA really does own the woods, then I assume that means we aren’t trespassing, and he would be liable for destroying our property even if it was in a “public” sort of place.

but any complaint against him is a risk with the cats, either with the HOA or the city. This guy clearly has a temper, so I can see him being determined to stop us and have the cats removed.

I’ve only just gotten back in touch with the mediator. Her husband had surgery Monday so she’s been busy. She wants to help with talking to the HOA. She’s having me enter a “rescue partnership” with her to help lend to my credibility.

Great news about finding a place for the cats to stay.

I think you should point out that TNR'd cats don't move far from their safe location provided they have shelter and regular food and water. Also that once they are an established colony they will prevent other animals that could be seen as a nuisance from thriving in that area. They'll keep down the rodent population. My cats have been known to chase civet cats and tanuki out of their area, I don't know what kind of "nuisance" wildlife you might have.

Oh, less cats roaming around cuts down on traffic accidents? Maybe you could mention that? And a colony of vaccinated cats acts as a buffer between humans and other wildlife in places where rabies is a problem.

The Benefit of Community Cats in Businesses - New Braunfels Community Cat Coalition
This was excellent advice, thank you!

The cats have never brought me any birds, but they have definitely brought me rodents - squirrels, mice, a couple rats even. So they are definitely doing good work out there.

I’ll need to take a picture next time I see one, I think I only have a picture of a dead squirrel (they always leave the bodies by where I prepare the food. I think they are just trying to tell me I suck at hunting 😂).

As far as other local wildlife, they compete with opossums, raccoons, and fox. Opossums are beneficial and low disease/rabies vectors, but the other two are definitely high rabies vectors here. And many people find raccoons to be a nuisance in particular.

Thank you, this was all great advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Welp, that changed quickly.

Someone saw my post on Facebook, matched the part map I posted to a map of the general area I gave, found the area I was talking about, and found more information than I was able to.

It’s not owned by the HOA. I don’t know if that’s better or worse… it definitely means I’ve been trespassing though. Crap

I can’t find ANY information about the owner online. It’s weird. There is only a P.O. Box listed for contact, no phone number.

Hopefully the tax accessors office has more information because i would really prefer not to do one way communication like mail, as they can just not respond to me at all and just call animal control if they end up hating cats :/ Ugh.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I can’t find ANY information about the owner online. It’s weird. There is only a P.O. Box listed for contact, no phone number.
Maybe lavishsqualor lavishsqualor can help you find out who owns a piece of land. I think he works for a property management firm, so he might know how to go about finding who land belongs to.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi moxiewild moxiewild I hope you find out who owns that land soon, and that it works in your favor. I had in the past spoke to neighbors about the kitties benefit to the community and how they keep the rodent population in check. I live by a Railroad with a semi- forested area. There are plenty of rodents living down there. The cats I care for have killed plenty of them. If they weren't there these rodents would be making there way into houses reaking havoc. So the cats are natural rodent control, they save people from having to pay some one to take care of this problem. That's one way to show how leaving cats in an area to live --benefits everyone around them.

I live in the North East. In my state and where I live there is no law against cat feeding as long as you are not causing an unhealthy enviroment (sloppy feeding stations attracting vermin and having a cat colony not tnred). Also where I live is very pro-tnr. Feral cats here are considered as companion animals and cannot be trapped as if they are wild life. There are stiff fines and possible jail time for animal cruelty or neglect. Feral cats are protected under that law thankfully. I think your state needs to clearly define feral cats as companion animals and not wildlife. Also, cat caretakers should have some protections as well as long as you are not creating a unhealthy environment. I hear about some states where you can get fined or sued for cat feeding (or any problem with the cats). Caretakers should not be looked at as owners. In my state these kind of lawsuits are unheard of. This is why I am not worrying too much over this lady who keeps coming out taking pics of me and the cats. I think this is too intimidate me. My state offers decent protection for the ferals and the caretakers. This lady needs to cut the bs out. There are plenty of other blocks to sell houses or tear down and build new ones on. I will not be bullied over the cats. I will without a blink of an eye--stand up for them.

I really hope things work out for you. This man has some serious issues. Shame on him! Don't let him stress you out. Here is an article about keeping trail cams hidden. I would definitely put another one up in a hidden location and if this jerk is caught on it doing anything, show it to the police. This man needs to be taught a lesson. If he keeps getting away with damaging your supplies for the cats, it will only embolden him. Well, I wish younthe best. Take care. 🙂
7 Hacks to Keep Your Trail Cams From Getting Stolen