Just created this cause it made sense

SirQuiet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently moved into downtown Portland and I'm living in a spacious studio and I've been mulling over getting a pet. A cat fits around how my life style is, but I'd like to take it hiking with me and stuff. I honestly don't know up from down with cats other then their pretty cool and soft. Someone told me to get a tabby or orange cat basically lol cause idk how else to describe this but they have super positive, energetic and outgoing personalities or so I've been told.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I recently moved into downtown Portland and I'm living in a spacious studio and I've been mulling over getting a pet. A cat fits around how my life style is, but I'd like to take it hiking with me and stuff. I honestly don't know up from down with cats other then their pretty cool and soft. Someone told me to get a tabby or orange cat basically lol cause idk how else to describe this but they have super positive, energetic and outgoing personalities or so I've been told.
You would have to have a cat who's personality is suited to going outside. I would recommend getting one from a rescue where they would likely know about the cat's personality to begin with. Some cats are not suited to this.

Cats *can* be a lot of work, even more so than dogs. There's lots of great articles on the website here or YouTube videos like Kitten Lady and Jackson Galaxy (though I disagree with him on raw food and teeth brushing). Research is key. I would HIGHLY recommend Jackson's Catification videos on how to set up your space.

I'll recommend also getting a cat that's over 1 year old. Their personality will be more "set" so you won't find that they turn around and become less likely to want to come out with you. A previously feral cat could be a good fit, but again, ask the rescue for one suited for outside adventures. Plus, under 1 year as a solo cat and you risk solo-kitten-syndrome.

A cat's personality can be linked to colour and breed but it's not always true. Let the rescue know what kind of companion you want and they'll help you pick one out.

Lastly I will HIGHLY recommend pet insurance if you are getting a younger cat. Over time, you pet will develop health issues and will have pre-existing conditions or other items that make it ineligible. Plus with outside adventures (though I do recommend them!) They will need frequent shots and anti-tick medicine etc. Your insurance will not cover that, I would call some local vets and ask what the average price is so you can have some set aside. That's the basic amount of vet $ you will need per year.

Your cat WILL need FIV and FeLV vaccines which are expensive. Many rescues do not give this to your cat. Your cat will need a clean bill of health and your vet may recommend blood work before these vaccines. As you are taking your cat outside, most places will recommend you have this.

For us, we keep $300 aside at all times. This amount pays for an appointment, with blood work and average medication cost plus taxes. Our local cat-vet includes basic yearly vaccines in the annual wellness price of $160 which we pay per cat. If there's a local cat only vet, that should be your preference as a first time owner. It will save you cost and heartache because they will know what to look for and what tests to immediately run for cats. You'll see that many on this website have paid thousands before their vet can conclude because they do the same order of tests for cats as they would for dogs.

Last two bits of advice for any new cat owner that I have is this:
1. When in doubt, have your vet run a blood panel and get a blood panel done at least once per year.
2. When your vet gives a diagnosis, search for it on the VCA website and ensure that you vet is following the same or similar protocol.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
graphics-hello-113224.gif
SirQuiet, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
Welcome+with+Cats+Vinyl+Wall+Decal.jpg
to you.

So glad that you’ve joined this site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Since you have not owned or gotten owned by a cat before, do read the articles below to orientate yourself on taking care of a cat.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

bringing-home-a-new-cat-the-complete-guide.29657
first-time-cat-owners-guide.33669
how-to-help-a-new-cat-adjust-to-your-home.32804
common-foods-that-are-harmful-to-cats.30181
household-chemicals-and-your-cats.29641
first-aid-for-cats.22464
cats-lilies-avoid-the-danger-lurking-in-your-home.33397
the-litterbox-what-every-cat-owner-needs-to-know.33457
how-to-choose-the-right-litterbox.32515

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellosmiley::hithere::noob: Welcome. You've gotten great advice. On Instagram there are many folks posting about hiking, biking, camping and going places with their traveling cats. Personality varies with each cat within the breed and colors. Spend time at your local shelter and see which kittys personality seems likely to bond with you on your adventures. You won't be able to create a confident partner if they are homebodys and don't enjoy going outside. Good luck keep us updated. DM me for Instagram adventure cat sites info.
20220712_175747.jpg
Our beloved former neighborhood stray Gypsy in harness, on leash, meandering around her old stomping grounds.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Since you've never had a cat before, it is good to do some research and ask questions first.

Not sure if a specific fur colour or pattern really makes a difference in a cat's personality, as I think all cats are pretty unique. As for hiking not every cat will be interested, so you'd really have to find the right cat, for it to be enjoyable for both of you. Good luck.

Here's a few TCS threads that might be helpful.
Hiking In The Rain With Adventure Kitten
Hiking with Cats
Hiking with Makena
Hiking pics

Google also has several links on the topic:
How to Hike With Your Cat, According to Actual Adventure Cats | BeChewy
How to Hike with a Cat: Top 7 Tips for Hiking with Your Cat Safely.
How to hike with cats
Answers To Common Questions About Hiking With Cats | GoPetFriendly

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, goodness! Let me give you this advice...go to shelters and rescues with an open heart and an open mind. Tell them what you want, insofar as an outgoing cat who can go places with you, then...just be open. It's very likely that your cat will choose you, and when it happens, you will know. It may or may not be the cat you were expecting, but there will be a connection that you can't deny.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I tried to walk my cat on a leashed harness haha, but all he wanted to do was lay down and roll around on the grass. :lol:
:lol: They're all different. I've had a couple who refused to move in a harness, and others who practically had me running to keep up with them. I never tried taking them anywhere off of our property, though, it was always around our yards.

Some friends of mine had an adventure cat. They trained him from an early age to ride in the car and took him everywhere they went so he got used to traveling.

SirQuiet SirQuiet Good luck and let us know what you end up deciding! :)