Just Caught Stray in Trap

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just caught this cat I've been feeding for two months. Long story short, is there a way to tell if there's kittens somewhere???
I can't handle him/her yet. I don't see any sign of lactation, but then again I can't see her belly because she's medium haired. Tonight was a big surprise as after doing nothing but eating and running away, tonight she/he stayed on my deck and meowed at me for a good 3 minutes. Then instead of taking off went under the deck. I grabbed a flashlight and shined it under there so I could see the cat and we continued with the meowing. Then I managed to trap the cat and bring it inside. If it was a girl and had kittens would it be flipping out right now? So far we've gotten purrs and rubbing against my hands when I hold them against the walls of the playpen. No more meowing though. Or maybe she's in heat? Any ideas. Help!

Update: Stray cat not paying any attention to cleaning their genitals, so good sign I'm assuming that kittens are not on the way. Also belly is not at all hanging down.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes I looked for kittens everywhere last night, but better yet, I was able to pet him/her and slide by hand under its tummy this morning. I don’t feel any teats at all. I will try again later when I get another pair of hands over here. No aggression shown so far, but having been bit before not eager to risk.

I just can’t get over this cat morphing back into a house cat. I’ve been feeding it for about 3.5 months now. I love that it likes to talk, though I’m mystified at why it suddenly decided to start talking to me. We will go to the vet tomorrow and hopefully no diseases. I have two other cats, so for right now quarantine. It does have some matts I can feel.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If female, it may be in heat or early pregnancy, thus the affection. You’ll know gender at the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Actually it's not two months, it's four months - time flies.