Just Bought My First Bag Of Tiki Cat Dry

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Was at Petco today and they just got Tiki Cat in. So I bought the small bag of chicken & fish luau. I was meaning to transition Gypsy to grain free anyway so decided to get it. Gave her a few nibbles and put a small portion mixed in with her cat chow. I want to slowly introduce it into her diet.

My question is, since I also give her 1 can of Fancy Feast a day, how much kibble should I give her? She is approximately 6 lbs maybe a bit more as she is eating a lot of Purina Cat chow kibble.

I know the Fancy Feast is 3 oz and she eats about 3/4 of that a day... she leaves some of the meaty bits in the bowl.

BTW-- from eating the Purina Cat chow she is beginning to get a pudge. I don't want her to turn into a butterball but to be a comfortable healthy weight. She is very small and 6 lbs is a good weight for her.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we all know i free feed, so im not the best to guess. but it has 495 calories per cup. so about 123 for 1/4 cup. depending on which fancy feast she eats, if its the classics which have close to 90 calories per can, then i think i would start her with 1/4 cup, as you said she does not eat the whole can of FF. the guidelines say 1/4 to 1/2 cup for a 4 to 7 lb cat. then just watch her, if she acts like she is starving maybe give a bit more. if she gains weight a bit less? that would be my starting point i think.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats a little over 1/3 cup dry food. I have to keep it under 1/2 cup or they get pee problems.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When they eat 1/2 cup of dry food they start getting blocked, smaller and smaller pees, pee outside the litterbox, stinky pee, symptoms of a UTI like crying in the litterbox, licking themselves. It's a disaster. But if I keep it under 1/2 cup, they are fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the great tips. This morning I measured out 1/2 cup kibble and discovered its pretty much what I had been shelling out to her before. So it looks like maybe she would do better with about 1/3 cup dry daily along with her fancy feast. Will decrease it tomorrow to 1/3.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give a tiny bit more than that. I give 1/3 cup Plus 1 Tablespoon dry food per day for each cat. Or 1/8 cup 3 times per cat, same thing. For canned food I feed one and a half 3oz cans or 3/4 of a 5.5oz can to each cat per day.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I give a tiny bit more than that. I give 1/3 cup Plus 1 Tablespoon dry food per day for each cat. Or 1/8 cup 3 times per cat, same thing. For canned food I feed one and a half 3oz cans or 3/4 of a 5.5oz can to each cat per day.
What does your cat weigh? Asking because Gypsy is 6 lbs. I never had a 6 lb cat before so am a bit flummoxed re food amounts.

If it helps, I am learning that Gypsy is more than a grazer. She is constantly going to the food bowl and her tummy is now making her look preggers. So am trying to figure enough to feed her without it being too much or too little. How much nutrition does a 6 lb cat need is what I need to find out.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are 4 years old. Demi weighs 12 pounds and Maggie weighs 10 pounds. They aren't fat at all. How old is Gypsy?

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats are 4 years old. Demi weighs 12 pounds and Maggie weighs 10 pounds. They aren't fat at all. How old is Gypsy?
I had to go by the Vets exam of her. She said Gypsy presented as a cat of 8-10 yrs or more due to her chronic dental hygiene. We don't know for sure. When I got her from the shelter she was listed as a 3 yr old. But that is not possible with her bad teeth and gums.

So it looks like she is a small 6lb senior cat. She is still very active and jumps up on things and likes exploring her surroundings. She has even started playing again once her shyness subsided.