Just adopted a 2 yr old cat. Keeps meowing non stop at night

tanyasayshai05

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All,

I've just adopted a shy 2yr cat. She is super sweet. Before I adopted her, she was living with her sister and 7 other foster cats. I was aware she is shy and I wanted to take the chance to have a new home for her. I'm pretty patient and I read online it could take a few weeks before they can be relaxed.

This is day 3 of me having her. For the past 2 nights she has been meowing non stop. which I assume she is feeling really lonely. But the thing is all she does is hide under my bed and at the night she explores my apartment and just meows. So I can't really give her pets or comfort since she's still scared and hides the whole time.

Any ideas on how I can ease her since I'm unable to pet her or she's not eating any of the food I give her?

The foster parent said if she still hasn't warmed up in 2 weeks, I can give her back. I'm hoping her shyness will go away or lighten up a little by then. She's such a sweet cat andI hope to break out of her shell in the future if it works.

any information helps!

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long have you had her? Are you letting her roam through the whole apartment? If you just got her recently (and especially since you said she’s shy), you may want to restrict her access to only one room or only one part of the apartment so that she can have her own space that feels peaceful and be able to adjust to a big change more smoothly. She can sleep in that room at night too, which has the benefit of letting you get some sleep without constant meowing. Along with litter and food and water, it’s good to have something in “her room” that can be her own safe spot/home base, like a cozy nook under a desk or a cardboard box with a towel or a little cat house.

Edit- totally missed where you said 3 days. Definitely keep her in her own space for a bit while she adjusts!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
3 days is hardly enough time for a cat to settle in, especially shy ones. Some cats may take weeks to settle in. Just let the cat settle in at her own pace. Confining the cat to one room for now is usually recommended. It allows the cat to get used to the smells and noises of your home without much distraction. A cat-proofed bathroom is ideal but a bedroom also works. Continue to feed what the foster parent was feeding. Is it canned or dry?

Some tips:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tanyasayshai05

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there. When I first came home I planned to put her in the bathroom a but as soon as I opened the pet gate to let her outs. She dashed out and hid under my bed. So she’s been there since
3 days is hardly enough time for a cat to settle in, especially shy ones. Some cats may take weeks to settle in. Just let the cat settle in at her own pace. Confining the cat to one room for now is usually recommended. It allows the cat to get used to the smells and noises of your home without much distraction. A cat-proofed bathroom is ideal but a bedroom also works. Continue to feed what the foster parent was feeding. Is it canned or dry?

Some tips:

[/URL][/URL]
[/URL][/URL]
[/URL][/URL]
[/URL][/URL]
[/URL][/URL]
[/URL][/URL]
How long have you had her? Are you letting her roam through the whole apartment? If you just got her recently (and especially since you said she’s shy), you may want to restrict her access to only one room or only one part of the apartment so that she can have her own space that feels peaceful and be able to adjust to a big change more smoothly. She can sleep in that room at night too, which has the benefit of letting you get some sleep without constant meowing. Along with litter and food and water, it’s good to have something in “her room” that can be her own safe spot/home base, like a cozy nook under a desk or a cardboard box with a towel or a little cat house.

Edit- totally missed where you said 3 days. Definitely keep her in her own space for a bit while she adjusts!
i live in a studio like apartment. So there’s no really a room to put her in. My place is pretty small. I was planning to place her in the bathroom but as soon as I got home and opened her carrier, she dashed out. Didn’t think she would do that. But since then she’s been under my bed. But the past 2 nights she’s wandering around. Meowing non stop. So I’m hoping she will warm up!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very very common for a cat in a new place to meow a lot for their first few days. She is wondering where she is, where the humans she knows are and is feeling lost and lonely. But she will settle down and quiet down soon. You can try giving her some catnip or use Feliway to help calm her.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is pretty normal for the three day mark. Just keep on with doing what you are doing. Also, spend some time sitting on the floor near her, talking gently or just reading aloud to her. The sound of your voice will become familiar to her in a very non-threatening way, and may help her adjust faster.

SlightlyIvy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Having just gone through this myself, here's what I did. I confined her to a room the first night and she promptly stuck her little arms under the door and did her absolute best to leave. Prior to this she was great! Wanted to be petted, was exploring, wasn't hiding. She even napped on my bed a bit. After three hours of meowing I let her out and she hid under the couch for two days. She was eating and drinking water, the litter box had been used, and that was all I knew. She meowed for two nights straight, so on the second day I went and bought some earplugs, a couple of scratching posts, and some Feliway, both the spray and the plug in. It worked. She stopped for the most part, and when she didn't, well, I had earplugs.

At this point, you have to ride it out. As long as she knows where her food, water, and litter boxes are, just ignore her. Let her come to you. Good luck!