Just a story about paying attention to your cat, because you never know...

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
...what might be bothering them.

Yesterday, Bud was going crazy. He was vocalizing, and vocalizing, and not his usual pleasant or curious meows and trills, but long, drawn out yowls that made me nervous. I thought he was in pain, but I couldn't see anything wrong with him. I thought maybe he was hungry, but I'd never heard him beg for food like this. I refilled his water bowl and got him a fresh dish of wet foot, which he didn't touch.

He was still howling. At this point I was really worried and was trying to calm him down by talking to him and petting him...

A light bulb went on in my head, and I ran to check on the litter box -- and sure enough, the top had collapsed and there was no way Bud could get in there to do his business. As soon as I fixed it, he went in there and did his business.

When he came out, he almost drained his water bowl in one sitting, and didn't make a peep after that.

So the problem was definitely the litter box, and I could kick myself for not realizing it earlier. Bud went almost two hours in discomfort because of my stupidity. I pride myself on having great communication with my cat, but this is just a reminder that they really can't tell us exactly what's wrong, and that it's our responsibility to make sure they're okay. Personally, I am extremely grateful that it was just a litter box issue, and not a medical problem.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You're so lucky!  I know a lot of cats who would have just 'gone' somewhere else!

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree! Good for you for listening! 

My sister's cat was howling like that one time. She....wouldn't....stop. So my sister is consoling the cat, examining the cat for any injuries, and starts scouring the house from top to bottom trying to find out what's wrong. Turns out there was an electrical fire in the wall. The cat smelled it way before my sister did. My sister didn't smell it until she got right in front of the wall. She called 911 and they had to knock the wall down. Smart cat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I agree! Good for you for listening! 

My sister's cat was howling like that one time. She....wouldn't....stop. So my sister is consoling the cat, examining the cat for any injuries, and starts scouring the house from top to bottom trying to find out what's wrong. Turns out there was an electrical fire in the wall. The cat smelled it way before my sister did. My sister didn't smell it until she got right in front of the wall. She called 911 and they had to knock the wall down. Smart cat!
That's crazy! It's a good story of cats and their instincts saving people, though, or at the very least saving the home.

@Lucyrima

@MoochNNoodles

So true. I thought the same thing afterwards, that he was a very good boy for trying to tell me there was a problem and not simply leaving a surprise on the floor.