June 2020 book of the month club

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1. How would you rate the book on a scale of 1 to 5 *****?
3*** maybe

2. Who was your favourite character?
Hmmm... Hannah, I guess.

3. Did you have to force yourself to get through the book or were you unable to put it down?
It kept my interest, and I read it quickly.

4. Did you learn anything you didn't know before?
Not that I can recall.

5. Did you find the characters believable?
I guess.

6. Is there any part of the book you would change?
Don't have so many unanswered questions that forces you to read the sequel.

7. Were there any points of view you felt the author had that you disagreed with?
Don't think so

8. Were you disappointed at the ending because it left so many questions unanswered thus needing you to read the sequel Guilty as Sin?
Totally. I generally love books that end up having sequels, but hated that SO MANY questions were left unanswered. At least Josh was returned by the end of the book.

9. Do you intend reading Guilty as Sin?
Yes. Pretty much have to if I want to know "who dunnit".

10. Do you think Garrett had an accomplice, if so, who.
Hmmm... Christopher Priest seems like the logical accomplice, but it also seems too easy. Maybe the sheriff? He was always trying to stick his nose in and make things difficult for Mitch, and is probably the right age. Was there also a mayor?

11. Do you think Hannah was to blame because she didn't pick Josh up.
Not at all. The accident was planned and set up so she'd have to stay at the hospital, thus leaving Josh to wait alone. I also wonder if Garrett knew his wife would be with Paul that night, so he also couldn't pick up Josh.

12. What did you think of Paul Kirkland, did you think he was involved.
No. His guilt about missing Josh's phone call seemed genuine. So I don't think he was involved with the kidnapping. Not sure about Karen though. She's a strange one, what with her obsession with Paul.

13. Do you think Olie was involved or just a viable suspect.
I think Garrett and his accomplice somehow knew Olie's past, and framed him.

14. Do you feel the investigation was competently carried out or were there too many egos and attention seekers.
The entire investigation was laughable, and would be a tragedy it it was real life. Everyone getting in the way, leaking info, etc.

15. How did you find the relationship between Megan and Mitch, implausible, unrealistic, possible. Did it make you feel annoyed, happy, angry?
I suppose their relationship could be realistic, but it seemed to happen awfully fast.

16. Do you think the book should have been more about Josh and less about the romance.
Making the book more about Josh would have changed it considerably. And could have made it disturbing if we had to live "real time" with what Josh was experiencing. Hopefully he was sedated and doesn't remember much. And I really hope we don't learn he was abused. Since Olie was likely not involved, I'm thinking the kidnapping was just for the "game" being played with the parents/public, and not to harm/abuse a young boy.

17. Do you think there were too many characters in play.
Probably, as I had trouble keeping track of everyone.

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama . I found the hot and cold attitude from Megan towards Mitch really frustrating. Do you think that someone in Mitch's position and the fact that a child was involved would allow himself to be sidetracked so easily and quickly. Did you find it unprofessional?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I thought the entire investigation was unprofessional. Poor Josh. It's a good thing whoever had him took him home, or the poor kid would never have been rescued.

About whether Megan and Mitch's relationship was unprofessional, didn't they have a "makeout" session in his office? That would certainly be unprofessional. Anything though that happened outside of the office might be inappropriate, even unrealistic, but not really unprofessional.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Usually the 28th of the month is the last "official" day for the book discussion. But since this book pretty much requires you to read the sequel to complete the story, the discussion will likely pick up again, once we've all read "Guilty as Sin".

So anyone lurking who's considering reading the books, it's not too late.

I currently have the ebook for "Guilty as Sin" on hold at the library. I'm # 2 on 1 book, with a 4 week wait. Hopefully the people ahead of me are quick readers, so it won't take the entire 4 weeks to get it.

Meanwhile, July is almost here, which means time for a new book. For July we chose a "beach read". Here's the link with more info: July 2020 book of the month club

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WOW, am I late! I got caught up in a major household project, and had to take time off! But here it is...Since the official discussion is closed, I'll just summarize.

I got really caught up in this one. I found the characters believable, and the main characters relatable. I enjoyed the plot line and thought it was handled very well. I did NOT like being left hanging. THAT SAID...I realized after the fact that the Kindle edition I ordered contains BOTH books, so I'll be reading the sequel shortly.

ONWARD! HO!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since the official discussion is closed, I'll just summarize.
Feel free to elaborate and/or answer some of the questions, if you want, and have the time.

I realized after the fact that the Kindle edition I ordered contains BOTH books, so I'll be reading the sequel shortly.
I'll be reading it soon, as well, as my library e-book loan just became available.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WHY THANK YOU! I believe I will! Not every question, but some!

1. How would you rate the book on a scale of 1 to 5 *****?
4. It engaged me, and made me think a bit.

2. Who was your favourite character?
Oh, probably Hannah. Although she tends to self-flagillation somewhat.

5. Did you find the characters believable?
For the most part. Although I've never known a doctor who didn't have back-up plans that would trigger automatically if they were detained at the hospital. ESPECIALLY ER doctors and surgeons. "If I am not there by (insert time), you call (insert person) to pick you up!" There is rarely time to call someone when the feces is on a direct trajectory to the oscillator!

9. Do you intend reading Guilty as Sin?
Yup. I loved it when I realized that my Kindle version had BOTH books!

11. Do you think Hannah was to blame because she didn't pick Josh up.
SEE #5! I also think that it is human nature that she DID blame herself.

14. Do you feel the investigation was competently carried out or were there too many egos and attention seekers.
LOL, OH PLEASE! It was an investigation that I'd have expected in a "beach read" romance.

15. How did you find the relationship between Megan and Mitch, implausible, unrealistic, possible. Did it make you feel annoyed, happy, angry?
I am firmly of the opinion that love takes time. It's the reason that I am disgusted with so many romance novels. Lust happens in a second, love takes MONTHS, YEARS, even. And so many women have unrealistic expectations because of reading romances. So this was par for the course. And having said that, I also realize that there is no way to accurately depict the slow unfolding of love in a novel. I'll let it go, but it still bothers me.

16. Do you think the book should have been more about Josh and less about the romance.
Not on my account. Remember, I'm a cozy mystery fan. I don't WANT a book to lovingly obsess over dreadful details. I also don't want a book to obsess over physical intimacy. "He was dead in a pool of blood" or "And then they didn't talk any more" are fine by me for each situation. And I promise you, my imagination can provide better details than almost any author could write.

17. Do you think there were too many characters in play.
Yeah, I could have used a score card on this one.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I started Guilty as Sin last night, and looks like we're going to have a new main character. Which makes sense, since when Night Sins ended
Meghan was pretty beat up and in the hospital

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm more than halfway through Guilty as Sin now. And still trying to figure out who's involved. I'll spoiler my thoughts for now.

I'm at the part Jay got in the accident chasing the break-in suspect. Todd, perhaps?

Also, Hannah found the latest kidnapped boys hat in Josh's backpack. Hmmm... did someone put it there? Or did he find it when he snuck out that night? And if he found it, it couldn't have been far from his home. :headscratch:

I don't really think he's involved, but I'm not trusting the author.

With the toxicology report showing the drug in Josh's system, I've now added the ER doctor to the suspect list. He's probably around the same age as Garrett. He'd have access to the drugs. He'd also know when Hannah was working. And he wanted her job. So motive. Maybe. LOL.

Hopefully I can finish this in the next few days, so we can all finally discuss whodunnit.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I read a lot yesterday, and now have only 114 pages to go. So should finish it either today, or tomorrow.

More spoiler thoughts...

I'm at the part where Ellen found the note in the book in the library. Obviously, or maybe not, LOL, whoever is gaining access to the law building is someone who isn't drawing suspicion by being there. So another lawyer or prosecutor? The prosecutor who wants to be a judge? One of the cops? Not Mitch, I hope. Still wonder about the sheriff.

That young reporter who keeps popping up is probably a red herring, but he comes across as very suspicious. As does now, Ellen's receptionist/assistant who the reporter was "courting".

Wrght's wife, is also someone I wonder about. She was involved with Paul, plus has her obsession with wanting a child, and keeps saying "it's a mistake". She also mentioned Wright hating children, and not even liking be a child himself. Hmmm... what if his childhood accomplice wasn't another boy, but a girl.:headscratch:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How far along in "Guilty as Sin" are you, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 ?

I'm almost done now. Today for sure. I stopped reading last night at the part where

Ellen had just talked to the parole officer and learned that Adam Slater was, the name of a kid that had died, suspiciously I might add, when one of Garrett Wright's protegees was a kid. And, just as I stopped reading, someone disconnected the phone cord from Ellen's office phone, and threatened to kill her. Adam, I presume. :paranoid:

I don't *think* Paul's involved, but is being framed, but regardless he really is a horrible person.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished it last night !!!! Some things I was right about, others I could never have guessed. :jawdrop:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think so. Less relationship stuff, and more thriller stuff. Quite a ride at the end.

Anyone not finished reading yet, close your eyes, as there'll be un-spoiler-tagged spoilers in my next comments. ;)

I guess I was on the right track when I posted Monday about my suspicions about Slater, as well as Garrett's wife.

Slater seemed shady from the first moment he showed up early in the book. But the author did it in a similar way to how Jay startled Ellen on their first meeting, so though both seemed suspicious, neither more than the other. But as the book progressed and Slater was always by himself, he came across as more suspicious.

And Karen, I wondered about her after she mentioned how Garrett hadn't even liked being a child himself. Of course he might have told her about his childhood, but my spidey senses started tingling when I read that. However, I would NEVER have guessed Karen was Garrett's SISTER !!! That was a shock, but also explains why she and Garrett couldn't have children. Well, I guess technically they could have, but thankfully the author didn't go there.

One thing I don't quite understand is how Hannah kept seeing visions of things that were really happening. Like Josh in the striped PJ's in the first book. And her dream or vision in this one. Josh's "dreams" can be explained by the brainwashing. But Hannah's. :dunno:

It still sort of annoys me that we had to read both books in order to settle the mystery, but I enjoyed both books, and at least we didn't have to wait a year or however long was between the book release dates like readers would have when the books were first published.

What did you guys think?

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How far along in "Guilty as Sin" are you, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 ?

I'm almost done now. Today for sure. I stopped reading last night at the part where

Ellen had just talked to the parole officer and learned that Adam Slater was, the name of a kid that had died, suspiciously I might add, when one of Garrett Wright's protegees was a kid. And, just as I stopped reading, someone disconnected the phone cord from Ellen's office phone, and threatened to kill her. Adam, I presume. :paranoid:

I don't *think* Paul's involved, but is being framed, but regardless he really is a horrible person.
LOL, haven't started it quite yet. I got sidetracked by the Miss Fortune series! Soon, though. I DID read your spoilers, hidden and unhidden. Not an issue. Even when I know where I'm going, I still enjoy the journey.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I DID read your spoilers, hidden and unhidden. Not an issue. Even when I know where I'm going, I still enjoy the journey.
I almost never read a book twice, as I hate knowing what's going to happen in advance. In fact, it annoyed me that Guilty as Sin opened with the preview of what would eventually happen with Ellen.

Mia6 Mia6 / V verna davies : any additional thoughts on Guilty as Sin?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I enjoyed this book better than Night Sins. I found Megan and Mitch irritated me but the charactors in Guilty as Sin were much more realistic to me and I felt they stuck to the story of Josh missing more rather than get sidetracked by the romance of M and M. I enjoyed the red herrings but suspected Karen was involved somehow althought not to the extent she was.