June 2020 book of the month club

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HAH! Just ordered this, and it will be the very first book I read on my NEW EREADER!
Congrats on the new EREADER !!!!:dance:

I started the book a few days ago. Having a hard time finding spare time, so have only read about 20% of it so far. Still 11 days till the discussion time, so I should finish it by then.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Per my e-reader, 34% read now. :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Looking forward to possibly buying an reader once I can get more information on them.
I'm sure you will love it, once you decide on the best one for your needs. I consider my e-reader to be one of my best purchases ever. And that shocked me, as I never thought I would give up on actual books.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am surprised at how much I like my little ereader, actually. I bought a case for it, and it is now the same size and shape as a paperback, although not nearly so thick. The case opens like the cover of a book, so it feels very natural in my hands.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
FYI

The Crime IS NOT Solved Until the SEQUEL, Guilty as SIn, sorry

I didn't remember that from reading it the first time, my mistake.:paperbag::read:.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm over halfway there! The ereader is slower than a print book for me, but I do like it!
I'm over halfway now too - 59%.

So ... how can the e-reader slower than a print book?

FYI

The Crime IS NOT Solved Until the SEQUEL, Guilty as SIn, sorry

I didn't remember that from reading it the first time, my mistake.:paperbag::read:.
Well, that's kinda annoying. :hmmm:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So ... how can the e-reader slower than a print book?
Because you're an idiot who never had an eReader before and had ONE PAGE showing up as THREE, because you didn't know how to adjust the print size, and sometimes you'd page BACK instead of forward, or page forward TWO pages instead of one and have to backtrack to find your place again. It's getting better now. I'm really starting to like it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Because you're an idiot who never had an eReader before and had ONE PAGE showing up as THREE, because you didn't know how to adjust the print size, and sometimes you'd page BACK instead of forward, or page forward TWO pages instead of one and have to backtrack to find your place again. It's getting better now. I'm really starting to like it.
Glad you're getting the hang of it. Being able to adjust font size is one of, if not the best, feature of an e-reader.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Finished Night Sins today. And just put Guilty as Sin on hold at my library. Will comment more once our discussion starts, but not impressed with the (lack of) ending.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WHOO HOOOO! The Kindle version I got has both books! I'll read the second in a couple of days. Right now, I'm reviewing a book that was sent to me for that purpose. AND I have to find something nice to say about it. It isn't bad, just...well. It's a regency romance, and I cut my teeth on Georgette Heyer in that genre, and nobody comes CLOSE to her.

My panty organization units are here, and I'm going to be off for several days installing and reorganizing, BUT I'll take time to come here and weigh in!

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Can't concentrate much in the past few days, will try to finish Guilty over the weekend.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We finally get to discuss this book tomorrow! Here's some questions to get us started.
Answer as many or as few you like.

Generic questions we post every month

How would you rate the book on a scale of 1 to 5 *****?

2. Who was your favourite character?

3. Did you have to force yourself to get through the book or were you unable to put it down?

4. Did you learn anything you didn't know before?

5. Did you find the characters believable?

6. Is there any part of the book you would change?

7. Were there any points of view you felt the author had that you disagreed with?

Some questions specific to this book

8. Were you disappointed at the ending because it left so many questions unanswered thus needing you to read the sequel Guilty as Sin?

9. Do you intend reading Guilty as Sin?

10. Do you think Garrett had an accomplice, if so, who.

11. Do you think Hannah was to blame because she didn't pick Josh up.

12. What did you think of Paul Kirkland, did you think he was involved.

13. Do you think Olie was involved or just a viable suspect.

14. Do you feel the investigation was competently carried out or were there too many egos and attention seekers.

15. How did you find the relationship between Megan and Mitch, implausible, unrealistic, possible. Did it make you feel annoyed, happy, angry?

16. Do you think the book should have been more about Josh and less about the romance.

17. Do you think there were too many characters in play.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
10. Yes, I think Garret has an accomplice and I think it is Christopher Priest. Who else
would be able to change VIN number on Paul's van and have the police think Ollie and
Paul were involved. He is a computer whiz/.I am reading Guilty but not very far into it.
We know from the beginning that the 2 perps knew each other from age 8 so they are
the same age.

15. Get over yourself, Megan. Many people have awful childhoods. Get some professional
help, Mitch as well.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
1. How would you rate the book on a scale of 1 to 5 *****?

2. Who was your favourite character?
I liked Noga. He was uncomplicated

3. Did you have to force yourself to get through the book or were you unable to put it down?
Neither. I found it readable but gripping.

4. Did you learn anything you didn't know before?
I didnt realise the weather was so extreme in that part of the world. I will not complain about the cold here again.

5. Did you find the characters believable?
Not Mitch or Megan or Garrett.

6. Is there any part of the book you would change?
It would have been nice to have a conclusive ending instead it made me want to read the sequel to be able to have the complete story
7. Were there any points of view you felt the author had that you disagreed with?
Not necessarily disagree with but felt she could have made some of the charactors more believable.

Some questions specific to this book

8. Were you disappointed at the ending because it left so many questions unanswered thus needing you to read the sequel Guilty as Sin?
Yes, the book was incomplete and should have had some sort of warning at the start of this book. I wanted to know if Olie really killed himself or not, how did Josh get free, who exactly was involved.
9. Do you intend reading Guilty as Sin?
I have just finished it. Imo it is a better book than Night Sins, far less nonsense with Megan and Mitch and I now know all the answers to the unresolved questions. Glad I read it.

10. Do you think Garrett had an accomplice, if so, who.
I think there was an accomplice. I suspected a few...Priest, Tom and Paul.
11. Do you think Hannah was to blame because she didn't pick Josh up.
Partly. She should have left work when she had the opportunity and not be reluctant to. In choosing to stay she should have made the phone call herself to make sure Josh knew what was happening.

12. What did you think of Paul Kirkland, did you think he was involved.
I thought he was. What a selfish self centred arrogant man.

13. Do you think Olie was involved or just a viable suspect.
I came across as involved but I felt it was a red herring.

14. Do you feel the investigation was competently carried out or were there too many egos and attention seekers.
Far too much ego on the part of several. One wouldnt listen to the others ideas and wasted tine and resources.

15. How did you find the relationship between Megan and Mitch, implausible, unrealistic, possible. Did it make you feel annoyed, happy, angry?
I found it totally unrealistic. Megan had a massive chip on her shoulder. I can't imagine anyone speaking to their senior in the way Megan did especially on the first day in the job. Neither can I imagine the senior taking it. I also found the speed of the personsal relationship moving so quickly unrealistic. The on/off attitude of Megan irritated me.

16. Do you think the book should have been more about Josh and less about the romance.
Definately. I would have liked to have know the conditions and his thoughts at the time he was being held.
17. Do you think there were too many characters in play.
Yes. I got confused about who was who in parts of it.

Overall, I quite enjoyed the book but found the relationship annoying between Mitch and Megan. It was almost as if the book was about them and not Josh. I'm glad I have read the sequel, I felt it was a better read and answered all the questions left unanswered in Night Sins.