June 2020 book of the month club

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think so. Less relationship stuff, and more thriller stuff. Quite a ride at the end.

Anyone not finished reading yet, close your eyes, as there'll be un-spoiler-tagged spoilers in my next comments. ;)

I guess I was on the right track when I posted Monday about my suspicions about Slater, as well as Garrett's wife.

Slater seemed shady from the first moment he showed up early in the book. But the author did it in a similar way to how Jay startled Ellen on their first meeting, so though both seemed suspicious, neither more than the other. But as the book progressed and Slater was always by himself, he came across as more suspicious.

And Karen, I wondered about her after she mentioned how Garrett hadn't even liked being a child himself. Of course he might have told her about his childhood, but my spidey senses started tingling when I read that. However, I would NEVER have guessed Karen was Garrett's SISTER !!! That was a shock, but also explains why she and Garrett couldn't have children. Well, I guess technically they could have, but thankfully the author didn't go there.
Its been a month since I read it and I forgot they were brother and sister. She was as nutty as a fruitcake and very manipulative.

One thing I don't quite understand is how Hannah kept seeing visions of things that were really happening. Like Josh in the striped PJ's in the first book. And her dream or vision in this one. Josh's "dreams" can be explained by the brainwashing. But Hannah's.
That was strange, maybe it was meant to show the close bond between mother and son although that bond didnt come across as being any stronger elsewhere.

It still sort of annoys me that we had to read both books in order to settle the mystery, but I enjoyed both books, and at least we didn't have to wait a year or however long was between the book release dates like readers would have when the books were first published.
Luckily for me both books were in the omnibus edition so I didn't have to buy them individually. On the front cover it says Night Sins first published in 1995 and Guilty as Sin in 1996. Must have been frustrating for those that bought Night Sins when it first came out.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So we never did find out who contacted the lawyer, did we?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not that I remember. At least we know most of the answers left hanging in Night Sins. Bit naughty to finish that book in the way she did though.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
STILL haven't started it, but I'm almost done with the Miss Fortune series, so soon.

I almost never read a book twice, as I hate knowing what's going to happen in advance.
Whereas I view it very much like visiting my oldest friends. I know what we'll talk about, I know where we'll want to go, I even know who will order what for lunch, but I STILL enjoy being with them. LOL, I ONLY keep books that I know I want to re-read, and I have about 1000 currently.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK...END OF JULY, and I've FINALLY finished Guilty as Sin. Rather than doing the Q & A, since it is now 4 AM and I have to get the outsiders' breakfast ready, I'm simply going to copy and paste my Goodreads review here!

I can't remember when I've disliked enjoying a two-book series more! GOOD LORD! The first book was filled with characters who were easy to like or hate, a REAL gut-wrencher of a crime, the most mishandled investigation you could imagine, and ended on a cliff-hanger of monumental proportions. Bringing us to Deer Lake #2. Our Hero and Heroine are still with us, but as background characters. Our oh-so lovable victim has survived, but is unutterably broken, and we have a new Hero and Heroine to get to know. These two aren't quite so ham-handed as the first (who are still together and doing well, I'm gratified to say). This book is where the real action happens. And given the fact that the plot across both books is as twisty as a macramé plant hanger, it's actually very deftly handled, drawing the reader from point A to point B to point C, all the way to point Z and GOTCHA! without losing one, no matter how oddly the line bends and recrosses itself. I loved the end. That was most gratifying. I don't need bad endings, life has enough real ones to suit me just fine.

This little series won't be something I re-read, but now that I've struggled through to the end, I'm darned glad I read it the first time around.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I felt the same about the characters in Night Sins as you Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , they irritated me no end, unprofessional and annoying. I enjoyed Guilty as Sin far more, preferred the characters as they were more believable and the book moved at a faster pace. The ending was a surprise to me too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I felt the same way about the character in Night Sins too, yet I still missed Mitch and Meghan in Guilty as Sin. :lol:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It was kinda nice to "visit" with Mitch and Megan without being distracted by their idiocies. I actually enjoyed them the second time around.