Jumping On The Counters

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can really say is welcome to my world. My Tabbinese Tiger Toad is unstoppable. Therefore I have stopped trying to stop her and make sure she as safe as possible.
The best perspective I have for on the counter cats is a container of popup Lysol wipes. One of her biggest pleasures is playing in the water that i leave dripping for them during the day.
The cat on the counter dilemma plays out on this site a lot. Many of us would give anything to see our clean counters with footprints from a naughty cat on them again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmmyGirl99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Grass is always appreciated :) You can try bringing in some blades of grass you rinse off to see if she likes it? I would suggest putting things (stuffed animals? Large basket?) on the counter you don't want her jumping on to block her access. Head butted you? LOL My punk used to jump on my x-hubby's back from a 5 foot dresser, claw our feet & walk all over us meowing. We had to teach him to leave us alone. How? The first time he woke us up, he was kicked out for the night. They learn. Just like kids..... they can play all they want out of your bedroom (leave toys on the floor you rotate.) It might pay off :)
I've considered letting her sleep in my room, but there are honestly more reasons to kick her out than to let her in! I am a very light sleeper and already have enough trouble sleeping soundly at night, let alone having her making noise in my room and keeping me awake.

Lol, Serenity is still a kitty, yes, but those photos are about 4 months old. My little sister is the only one able to take pics of my 3 wild little kitties that aren't entirely blurred!
And I completely understand...I have to take at least 10+ photos in order to get one good one!

Can you just shut her out of the bathroom? With the shower in there, it doesn't sound very safe...
I currently cannot, since this is the only place in the apartment where I can keep her litter box. But I'll be moving in about a month, and in the new apartment, her litter box will not be in the bathroom. I haven't found my bath rug on the floor for a while, so I don't know if she's attempted to jump up on the shower for a while.

She's sweet! I'd let her do what she wants. I figure it like this -- I'm at work 9 hours a day. They are probably on the counters anyway when I'm not home, so no one is fooling anyone else.
I try not to be too strict with her, but being on the counter tops is also a safety precaution. I would hate for her to jump on the counter and walk across the stove when it's hot or something along those lines. I have no problem with her jumping on the furniture, but I do not want her walking on the counters. For that reason and for sanitation.

EmmyGirl99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All I can really say is welcome to my world. My Tabbinese Tiger Toad is unstoppable. Therefore I have stopped trying to stop her and make sure she as safe as possible.
The best perspective I have for on the counter cats is a container of popup Lysol wipes. One of her biggest pleasures is playing in the water that i leave dripping for them during the day.
The cat on the counter dilemma plays out on this site a lot. Many of us would give anything to see our clean counters with footprints from a naughty cat on them again.
And I have definitely seen footprints on my counters! When I first adopted Emmy, I could tell when she was on the counters not only from the flowers crumpled on the floor but also from litter paw prints on my counters. Nasty!

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This:

https://www.menards.com/main/floori...06-c-12565.htm?tid=8162505725040490402&ipos=5

I've had a heck of a time trying to keep my two boys off the counters. They were obsessed, even though I don't usually leave any food/dishes out! But I got some of this a while ago and spread it on the counters upside down (tooth side up). Now they don't even try hopping up! It probably is a little unsightly for most people's tastes, but if you can't figure out anything else that works, you could give this a shot.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
And I have definitely seen footprints on my counters! When I first adopted Emmy, I could tell when she was on the counters not only from the flowers crumpled on the floor but also from litter paw prints on my counters. Nasty!
Investment in good litter mats is a must and a whole other subject. Most of us have enough stress in our lives without adding to it especially something that is only effective when you're home. I lost the battle of the counters long ago. I have reinforced staying down while I have food and they all know that HOT means something they're not sure what but to skedaddle.

EmmyGirl99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This:

https://www.menards.com/main/floori...06-c-12565.htm?tid=8162505725040490402&ipos=5

I've had a heck of a time trying to keep my two boys off the counters. They were obsessed, even though I don't usually leave any food/dishes out! But I got some of this a while ago and spread it on the counters upside down (tooth side up). Now they don't even try hopping up! It probably is a little unsightly for most people's tastes, but if you can't figure out anything else that works, you could give this a shot.
Yes! I have seen this before but have not given it a try yet. I would suspect that this would not be fun for kitty to experience :) And truthfully, it's still better looking than the foil!