Jumanji the Maine Coon

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey all :> I'm fairly new around these parts, though I've come across the forums in the past. I'm fairly new to having a cat around, just over a year now, but I've been planning and researching for my girl for the better part of 10 years now.

In any case, this little 6.2 kilo (~13.5 lbs) bundle of fluff is Jumanji, though I usually call her Juma, JumJum, or babygirl at home. In these photos she's about 1 1/2, though she's coming up on 2 years old this January. She's a purebred Euro line Maine Coon, and has yet to grow her full adult coat -- in fact, the silly floof has shed so much for winter that she looks short-haired, other than her fluffy tail! She's taken after her daddy with how late of a bloomer she's been, so I expect to see her real floof this coming summer, or perhaps even the year after. She's registered as a cream solid (both parents are red solid carrying a dilute gene), though at this point none of us are sure whether she's actually cream, or a pale red, as she's too dark for a cream, but understaturated for a red. I'm guessing it'll be more obvious when her final coat is in!

To really highlight her strange shedding habits, here she is after a groom this summer, and a more recent groom sometime around November. Silly girl has been cuddling with me on my electric blanket because it's -20C (-4F) outside, and central heating only does so much! I'm guessing the degree of difference is at least partially due to her preparing for her adult coat change, though I'm somewhat convinced she'll shed her coat for winter for the rest of her life. Her breeder thinks it's a mix of genetics and central heating + artificial light essentially tricking her internal clock to confuse summer and winter. I'm guessing it might have something to do with her being born in the dead of winter (29th of January), as well!

1611252744053.png
1611252855144.png

When I took her home at 8 months, she was a tiny little thing, compared to her siblings, barely 3 1/2 kilo (just under 8lbs), if memory serves. She only really started making up her size at around 10 or 11 months, and now I'd say she's fairly large, especially for a girl. Kitties of her lineage tend to look/be large without really having the weight Maine Coons are hyped up for, which I'm all for, tbh, since it should be easier on her joints long term :>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Hiya! Thank you very much! :> I probably will, I've been meaning to edit some photos I took of my girl over the winter hols.

Same here! I'd actually planned to get a Ragdoll for many years, but I know Jum's breeder through my aunt, and she's an extremely responsible, ethical breeder. After I met little Jumanji (who nobody wanted because she was small for her age, which is the only reason she was still with the breeder :<) I just couldn't say no. Now, I think I'm a Maine Coon person for life, though I would like to own a Peterbald one day (a semi-hairless breed developed from Orientals), as well a few shelter kitties once I have more experience with cats. Sadly, most shelter animals here are feral or formerly mistreated, so you have to know what you're doing to really be able to bring them out of their shell and help them thrive.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After I met little Jumanji (who nobody wanted because she was small for her age, which is the only reason she was still with the breeder :<) I just couldn't say no.
I don’t blame you! What a cutie pie!
I would like to own a Peterbald one day
I love Peterbalds!
as well a few shelter kitties once I have more experience with cats. Sadly, most shelter animals here are feral or formerly mistreated, so you have to know what you're doing to really be able to bring them out of their shell and help them thrive.
:redheartpump: :redheartpump: :redheartpump:

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the site :wave3:
im a fellow Maine Coon owner, be aware they are addictive. I started with one & I've got 7 of them now. :lol:
Your girl is gorgeous by the way :hearthrob:

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the site :wave3:
Your girl is gorgeous by the way :hearthrob:
Hiya! And thank you! ;w;
im a fellow Maine Coon owner, be aware they are addictive. I started with one & I've got 7 of them now. :lol:
Oh I'm fully aware! If I wasn't making plans to move country within the next year or two (would've been sooner, but things have been delayed for obvious reasons) I would have gotten a second or third by now! Jum's breeder, and one of her affiliate catteries have had some stunning litters in the past year!

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Is Jumanji under that lion you are holding? Lol She's sooooo pretty!
Welcome and we're happy you're here!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
620315b2dd400a3725b9d7be2c73f2f2.gif
Maurey and Juma, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
27fcc15df3fba68a2a4b868777fc711c.jpg
to both of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Juma is beautiful :redheartpump: :hearthrob: Do post more photos of her and we have a special thread here just for her in post-pics-of-calicos-tortieshells-and-orange-cats-here.303458 and many fun threads in fur-pictures-and-videos-only.29 to showcase what your kitty is up to.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Jumanji is beautiful. And unless those pics are deceiving, she's already a big girl. :lovecat2:

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my total and completely unbiased opinion, you made the best choice of breed. She's a beauty.
Here's my daughter holding my Oliver in a similar one to yours.

IMG_0980 (2).JPG
IMG_0982 (2).JPG

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
In my total and completely unbiased opinion, you made the best choice of breed. She's a beauty.
Here's my daughter holding my Oliver in a similar one to yours.
Oh what a lovely floof! Such a big majestic boy! :>

Catladyfilmmaker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome!!! I just joined, too. I got my calico kitten Sophia Loren almost a year ago right before COVID and she's been so sweet and an amazing companion. I noticed she was gaining a little too much weight and seemed bored, new toys didn't really interest her anymore, so I started looking for a kitten companion! I adopted Sir Meriweather Foxley (shortened to Foxley) in November, and they've been great pals. :) Foxley is a Balinese mix and extremely sweet and a purr machine. I've always loved Maine Coons and had a Maine Coon mix once named Mr. Boh and he was the best cat in the world. I miss him :'(

Attachments

QueenMojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What beautiful cats! I have real Maine Coon envy right now!