July 2022 Book Of The Month Club - In Five Years

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1658487803636.png

It's July 22nd, so time to post our reviews and thoughts on In Five Years.

Here's mine, which I wrote weeks ago.

Due to my library only having 1 copy of the e-book, and my loan coming due in June, I ended up reading this way sooner than I expected. So as I’ve just finished it, I’m writing my review now.

The description of this book intrigued me the first time I read it, so was happy when it became a book club choice.

It ended up being way different than I expected, as there was only the one incident of a premonition, or whatever that was. So instead of being mystical or magical, it ended up being real and sad and rather depressing.

Oddly, despite Bella’s cancer diagnosis and eventual death, I didn’t get teary-eyed, which is unusual for me. Maybe because I was more focused on what would happen on December 15th.

I was surprised that real December 15th turned out differently than the premonition one, in that Dannie and Aaron were not deeply in love, and probably won’t see each other again. And I was surprised that Dannie and Dr. Shaw ran into each other at the deli, and he showed clear interest in seeing her again.

Not a great review, I realize. Maybe because I expected something different, and though not exactly disappointed, I was a little let down that my expectations didn’t happen.

It was a fast read, and I did enjoy the story, particularly the friendship between Dannie and Bella, so I’ll give it 3 stars out of 5.
1658488140405.png

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feel as you do about the book rubysmama rubysmama , expected more of a story but also intrigued to see how it ended.

Having read the book I really don't know how I feel about it. Did I enjoy it, maybe, I didn't not enjoy it.

Was it a premonition Dannie had, must have been for her to have seen Aaron and the apartment in so much detail. In which case, could she have changed the events that were to occur in five years and to a certain degree she did albeit not intentionally.

I found the characters a little unrealistic. Both Dannie and David such high flyers, Dannie coping with the illness of her dear friend and still juggling important things efficiently. Would someone (Bella in this case) really buy and refurbish an apartment for a friend as that time she didnt know she was going to die.

An easy read but for me not enough body to the story.
⭐⭐⭐

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My turn? Before I start, this may have been one of the worst books I've ever actually finished!
The characters were all young, successful, attractive; the story could not have been more dramatic: a very clear vision, a planned wedding, a pregnancy, a fatal illness, death and then ....... the return of the vision in real life.
Highly dramatic but ........ no atmosphere at all.

Recently, I have only been reading in bed just before going to sleep. Two of the books I am reading are in care homes - I left them there so that I had something to do while the people I am visiting slept. Owing to COVID-19 restrictions, I am unable to visit so I only had "In Five Years" to get on with at home.

Good things about this book: highly dramatic
Bad things: boring, shallow, one-dimensional characters, superficial, lack of atmosphere.
Reading in bed, I found the first two chapters just too boring and preferred to go to sleep and dream my own dreams rather than read more.
Chapter 3 (year 2025) kindled my interest, but then things were back to 2020 and normal, boring storytelling. It was obvious things were going to change but it took a lot of words before anything happened.
The dramatic and sad events (2024) were described in much the same rather flippant style used to describe restaurants, clothing, sex; nothing to keep my interest.
The last 2 chapters seem to be a final attempt to justify, and explain the vision, described in Chapter 3. But, I was disappointed not to find out how such a clear vision could occur in the first place.
A most unsatisfactory read - just an unlikely story with too many dramatic effects thrown in. I'm not happy reading such contrived tales.

The description of this book intrigued me the first time I read it, so was happy when it became a book club choice.

It ended up being way different than I expected, as there was only the one incident of a premonition, or whatever that was. So instead of being mystical or magical, it ended up being real and sad and rather depressing.

Oddly, despite Bella’s cancer diagnosis and eventual death, I didn’t get teary-eyed, which is unusual for me. Maybe because I was more focused on what would happen on December 15th.

I was surprised that real December 15th turned out differently than the premonition one, in that Dannie and Aaron were not deeply in love, and probably won’t see each other again. And I was surprised that Dannie and Dr. Shaw ran into each other at the deli, and he showed clear interest in seeing her again.
Maybe because I expected something different, and though not exactly disappointed, I was a little let down that my expectations didn’t happen.
I agree with your review - and you couldn't possibly get "teary-eyed" because none of it rang true. :)

Would someone (Bella in this case) really buy and refurbish an apartment for a friend as that time she didnt know she was going to die.
I find it rather difficult to believe that Bella or anybody would really do such a thing. :noway:

Just one star ! ⭐ For what could have been a good idea but which sadly failed in its execution.
I should have taken more notice of the people and tabloid press who wrote "Heart breaking", "Intelligent", "I wept buckets" etc. to advertise the book and then I would have realised there was not one serious reviewer among them! Better luck next time!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, here I am finally to discuss.

This was a fairly easy read. A bit of a slog at first, but the closer I got to the end, the more I wanted to read just to see how things would end up in the premonition.

The characters were definitely lacking. I was a bit amused by the line where Dannie noted that she and Bella were kind of media stereotypes found in 'real life'. I was wondering how the whole sleeping with Aaron would happen, and the author did a fair job of making the same scene happen in a different way than would have been expected from the first time around. I would have liked there to have been a bit more mysticism or an explanation of how this came about.

I kind of felt bad for David, and I'm glad he and Dannie broke up. He was clearly more into her than she into him, and it felt like she was just stringing him along.

Props for having a Jewish main character. Minority representation that's not just a side character is important.

I think I'm not sure of my final verdict. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it. I guess three stars is fair.

If I think of more, I'll add it later.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
This book did not appeal to me and I was not going to read it. But I happened to check at the library, they had it so I checked it out.

The writing is clear and lively and the book moves along nicely. It was not what I had expected from the description. It is still not my type of book, but I did get something from it. And I finished it, so I can't rate it too low. Though I finished it mostly so I could see what happened, as did others.

The story took place in the city which made many of the things they did not very relatable for me. There were references that I did not get.

The one thing that was helpful to me was the strife between the main character and Bella when Bella had cancer. I had a close friend who passed from cancer and he got rather belligerent at the end and stopped seeing people. It is helpful to know that others go through things like that in similar situations.

Not my type of book, but I'm glad I read it so that I could join together with my fellow Cat Site book readers for this discussion. And also to agree with those who said that the description might have been misleading and that the book was so-so (or worse!) If I finish a book, I will most likely give it two stars. 👩‍💼👩‍💼 stars.

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
gilmargl gilmargl , I love that you dont pull any punches with your reviews, just say it as it is, always brings a smile to my face. This book was obviously not for you so well done for finishing it .

Lari Lari , I agree, it was an easy book to read and I too wondered how it would end and like you, neither loved or hated it.

Boris Diamond Boris Diamond . So impressed that you read it even though it didnt appeal to you and glad you found it helpful in relating to the friend you lost.

It was a strange one, I'd describe it as an empty book but still read it all. I suppose the beginning with the leap to 2025 was meant to draw people in, get them curious enough to read it all, worked on me.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I guess none of us loved this book, as no one gave it 4 or 5 stars. And with an average of 2.4 stars, it clearly wasn't a hit. But I'm glad we got to read it, just sorry it turned out to be different from what the blurb suggested.

My turn? Before I start, this may have been one of the worst books I've ever actually finished!
LOL. That not a sign of a positive review to follow, is it. :lol:

Just one star ! ⭐ For what could have been a good idea but which sadly failed in its execution.
That's the thing about this book, the premonition was a great idea for a story, but there just wasn't enough about it after that one chapter.

I read an interview with the author, and apparently, all her books deal with the topic of fate and free will, so wonder if the other books are a more satisfying read. My library has 2 of her other books (The Dinner List and One Italian Summer) so maybe I'll check one of them out sometime.

Props for having a Jewish main character. Minority representation that's not just a side character is important.
It's been too long since I read it now, so facts are fading. Which character was Jewish?

I think I'm not sure of my final verdict. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it.
My feelings as well.

The one thing that was helpful to me was the strife between the main character and Bella when Bella had cancer. I had a close friend who passed from cancer and he got rather belligerent at the end and stopped seeing people. It is helpful to know that others go through things like that in similar situations.
Though I'm sure it brought up sad memories for you, it's very interesting to read that Bella pushing her best friend away is something that also happens in real life. I'm glad you found that similarity to your own life helpful. 🤗

Not my type of book, but I'm glad I read it so that I could join together with my fellow Cat Site book readers for this discussion.
I'm glad you read it too, especially since it's not your typical type of book. But, I guess, in one way, that's what a book club is supposed to do, introduce members to books and genres that they wouldn't normally read.

If I finish a book, I will most likely give it two stars. 👩‍💼👩‍💼 stars.
Love, as usual, your "stars". And, great news, the site even has icons for you to use when you rate next month's book. 🧛‍♂️

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both Dannie and David. It was just a nice touch. Usually the main character is your average WASP, and the religious, racial, etc minorities are all side characters.
A nice touch? I saw it as another frustrating piece of information - Dannie was happy that David was also Jewish - but no reasons given and "Jewish" could easily have been substituted by the words "Catholic", "Moslem", "Hindu", "white", "base-ball player" or even "easy-going" which at least was confirmed by his behaviour!

By the way, I'm having serious problems with "Dracula", too - but for completely different reasons - it's certainly no bedtime story and I'm only a tenth of the way through! :lol: 🧛‍♂️🦇🛌💤😨

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hey Everyone!

Today July 31, 2022 is the 212th day of the year 2022 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 153 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.

It's also the last "official" day to discuss "In Five Years", before we move onto our August book of the month.

Thank you to all who read along with us, and shared your thoughts on the book. We appreciate your participation.

Hopefully you'll join us again in August when we'll be reading Bram Stoker's Dracula.

August 2022 Book of the Month Club - Dracula