July 2020 book of the month club

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since it's summertime in the Northern Hemisphere, we've chosen a summer, aka beach, read for July. 🏖

The book for July 2020 is
A Nantucket Wedding by
Nancy Thayer

1591706702167.png

As always, everyone is welcome to read along with us, and we hope you will join in.

We will be reading it between July 1st and July 21st
Discussion will be from July 22nd to July 28th

Some links about the book:
Goodreads: A Nantucket Wedding
Amazon: A Nantucket Wedding

Praise for A Nantucket Wedding:
“A delightful beach-town tale about family relationships and second chances.”Kirkus Reviews

“[Nancy] Thayer’s latest Nantucket confection does not disappoint. . . .
[A Nantucket Wedding] is a Nancy Meyers film in book form and should be recommended accordingly.”Booklist

“Thayer proves once again that she is a master of the perfect beach read. . . . A Nantucket Wedding is a compelling drama . . . in an idyllic Nantucket setting. With strong characters with real, relatable problems, fans will no doubt enjoy her latest and want to add it to their reading collection.”RT Book Reviews

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Flybynight Flybynight : welcome to our little book club thread. :wave2: Hope you are able to find the book, and that you join us.
Welcome too, of course, to the entire TCS site. :petcat:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1593348894810.png

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Anyone started this yet?

I plan to soon, but am currently reading "Guilty as Sin" which is the sequel to our June book, which you pretty much have to read or you are left hanging with unanswered questions from the first book.

So one I finish that, I'll be starting A Nantucket Wedding.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, good for you, pearl99 pearl99 . Try to remember what you read, so you can join us later in the month for the discussion.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just downloaded A Nantucket Wedding, and will be starting it sometime today.

pearl99 pearl99 : good idea writing your thoughts down on paper. I keep saying I should do that, but never actually do. LOL

Anyone else reading, or planning to read it?

Flybynight Flybynight : were you able to find it?

Mia6 Mia6 and V verna davies : you guys are gonna read it, right?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've settled down for the evening ( it's nearly 7pm here) and I'm going to start Nantucket Wedding. Looks like I wont be doing much other than reading the rest of the weekend.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've read about 40 pages so far.
Jane and Ethan just had late night beers on the deck. :hmmm:
I better designate some reading time into my next couple of days, as the book discussion will be starting in THREE days. :eek2:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm just past the halfway part in the book, so will try to read a lot today and tomorrow, and hopefully finish it soon.

1595325668286.png

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The discussion of Nantucket Wedding starts tomorrow, so here are some questions to get us started.
Answer as many or as few you like, if you have a question of your own to put to other readers, please do.

Generic questions we post every month

How would you rate the book on a scale of 1 to 5 *****?

2. Who was your favourite character?

3. Did you have to force yourself to get through the book or were you unable to put it down?

4. Did you learn anything you didn't know before?

5. Did you find the characters believable?

6. Is there any part of the book you would change?

7. Were there any points of view you felt the author had that you disagreed with?

A few questions specific to this book

8. Alison is excited that her fiance David's home on Nantucket can be a place where their newly blended family can grow closer. Do you have any long standing traditions in your family or have you ever started a new trend.?

9. Cynthia, the wife of one of Noah's colleagues tells Felicity of Noah's affair with Ingrid. Do you agree with the course of action?

10. Felicity notes that it is 'awkward' watching Poppy discipline Luke but brushes off her remark for the sake of remaining cordial. Think of Felicity and Poppy's parenting styles, how would you think their personalities dictate the way they approach parenting?

11. Poppy clearly struggles with her father's impending nuptials, not to mention the future of English Garden Creams. When David tells her he plans to include Alison, her daughters and her grandchildren, she is appalled. Do you think her action is justified?

12. At the end of the novel Felicity and Noah are still at impasse. She says she is free to change, she could leave Noah but doesn't want to. What do you think is in store for their marriage going forward?

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give it 3 stars.
My fave character was David. I liked how he treated Alison and her family while still being a
loving father and grandfather to his children and grandchildren.

I think Poppy's reaction to David including Alison's children and grandchildren in his will was
not justified. It was his company and what he did with his money was his business and only his,

I'll post more later

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought Noah was a selfish, controlling, creep and I hope Felicity leaves him. I have a feeling she will.

6. Is there any part of the book you would change?
I wish Felicity would have left Noah at the end.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
A few answers for now:

1. stars- I'd give 3 stars.
3. had to force to read- no, but I could put it down so kind of in between.
8. family traditions- actually when my dad was alive my parents would pay for a week at 2 vacation houses at an island on the ocean every other summer (Jekyll Island.) We got there on our own and bought all our own food and each night a different family cooked supper. Then on Friday my parents took us all out to dinner at a restaurant on the island.
So, after my parents passed we tried to have the siblings and families gather in the summer at a place we could get to and afford, but it's never happened. Maybe some day!
11. I understand Poppy's reaction- she wants the company now! And with a new woman in the picture when all are grown and David older it's not unusual. But, in the end David's pretty wealthy and Poppy still gets the company.

More later!