Journeys Over The Bridge; Honouring My Past Cats

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because I'm new to the site, this is a posthumous tribute to my earlier cats.
Several years ago we had a Persian called Bomber. We got him as a two year old from a breeder. For months he was unfriendly and hid behind the sofa all the time. When he started to venture out, he came back one night in a terrified and dishevelled state. He was full of mud and looked like he'd been attacked. We started to clean him expecting some horrific wounds underneath but there wasn't a mark on him when we'd finished.
Weirdly, from that moment on he became super friendly and sociable. My daughter, who was about six at the time used to dress him in small clothes and put him in a doll's pram and he loved it. He used to wait next to the pram in readiness.
He slowly became the victim of old age and at the age of 19 we realised he had not long left.
I came down one morning and he was laid on his side doing an unusual (for him) meowing sound and his breathing was compromised. I picked him up and put him on the comfiest cushion I could find. He gave me one last look, sighed and left us.
I'm convinced to this day that he clung on to life until one of us came down to say goodbye so he could die peacefully whilst being cuddled. My daughter is now in her thirties and she still misses him terribly.

At least he died of old age but our little darling Poppy was not so lucky. She was a Bengal cross and was my wife's soulmate. They had an affinity that was special. Only a few months ago she got out and was run over by a car. We are all still devastated by this and can't believe it happened. We look at the spot where she used to lie on our bed and are filled with sadness and what ifs. Why didn't we make absolutely sure she couldn't get out? What if that car driver had been delayed for just a second before starting the journey? Oh for a machine that could turn back time.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poppy and Bomber are at peace now, and though it hurts so very much not to have their physical presence in your life, the love you shared with these precious babies is spiritual and will be tied to you souls forever. This bond you share can never be taken from you. The legacies they left you will be passed on, they are so grateful for having shared a little of your life's journey, and it is priceless for you to have known them. Remember that neither would ever want you to be overly sad at their departure, they only want you to go on with life and fill it with happiness and sunshine, just as you would want for them if you were the first to go.
My heart goes out to you, I know both the joy of having one of these precious babies live to a ripe old age, and the total devastation of losing one much too early to a car. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, I hope you continue to check at this site and give your support to the people who so desperately need it. It hurts to read of other's despair, but the support and condolences you can give also help with your own sorrow. Thank you so much for your beautiful tributes to those wonderful family members, I wish you peace........RIP beautiful Bomber and Poppy. You were so very much loved and will dwell in loving hearts forevermore. The angels who welcomed you both cry for the sadness your leaving left behind, your family will be blessed for loving you and giving you such a wonderful life. Sleep tight, precious little ones!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Bomber and Poppy, dream you deep. You are remembered with love and longing.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Though it brings an ache to a longing heart, those pictures are a sweet reminder of a good part of your past and her love which fills your heart forever.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finding that SD card is a present from Poppy, he wanted you to have those wonderful photo when the pain for her loss was less sharp and you were able to appreciate them more.
Poppy was a wonder, such a beauty!

edie56

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
she was beatiful no wonder why your wife really loved her