Job Advice Needed, Please!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last weekend I got a new job. I can only work up to 10 hours a week due to my disability. My 2nd night I was supposed to work 5 hours and they sent me home after 2 hours.

Friday and Saturday this week they did the same. Today, they sent me home after 15 minutes. Why? Because it was slow and they “forgot” to call me prior to working my shift.

I don’t work again until Friday. I’m a dining room attendant, so I clean tables after people leave. Would you leave or stay?

Be honest but not harsh, please. I’m very frustrated. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your opinion! :blush:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before quitting, I would ask them (nicely:wink:), the next time (if it happens again) why they keep sending YOU home. I get your new, but using the excuse that it's a slow night for ALL of YOUR shifts thus far (and forgetting to call for the fourth) is not right. Maybe they think your disposable because of your limited work availability? Maybe they think you appreciate going home early because of your disability? And I'm not saying that it's right, but it is a possibility. Either way, I would try to get to the bottom of why before quitting (especially if you enjoy or need the work). If the reasons for your early dismissal is due to the former, I would quit, if it's because of the latter, they may think twice the next time before sending you instead of another employee home (sometimes discrimination stems from plain old ignorance - again, doesn't make it right, but if they don't know they can't change).
You deserve a job where they appreciate you, or at least respect you enough to know that what they are doing is not right, regardless of your availability.
I'm sure you'll be able to tell with their tone and answers whether this is a good job/environment for you. And at that point, make an informed decision on what your next step should be.
The other thing to keep in mind...do you like it there? Do they seem to treat their employees well?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I do like it there... and they treat their employees well but my co-workers aren’t very friendly. I have my food truck job to fall back on at least. I feel like the new job is just taking advantage of me.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before doing anything rash, I would ask myself two questions.
"Do I need this job" and "Do I want this job". If the answer is yes, then by all means, stay.
If, however, the answer is no, then it might be time to move on.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The rule of quitting a job is never leave until you have another. So hang in there at your current but if they keep cutting you short, talk with you manager. And also maybe start looking for a similar job with steadier hours. If you find one, apply, interview and take the job if offered. That is when you tell your current employer you are leaving.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The rule of quitting a job is never leave until you have another. So hang in there at your current but if they keep cutting you short, talk with you manager. And also maybe start looking for a similar job with steadier hours. If you find one, apply, interview and take the job if offered. That is when you tell your current employer you are leaving.
I actually have another job to fall back on.. so leaving won’t hurt anything.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you still paid for the hours not worked or is it pro rata? Are you contracted?
If you're not paid for the non worked hours then I think they're using you.
If I got sent home early but still paid, I'd love it but that's just me with my 13hr shifts.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you still paid for the hours not worked or is it pro rata? Are you contracted?
If you're not paid for the non worked hours then I think they're using you.
If I got sent home early but still paid, I'd love it but that's just me with my 13hr shifts.
Nope. I’m not contracted; it’s a food service job. I’m only paid for the hours I work. My job coach from my other job is going to talk to them about this sometime this week.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Good luck and yes I wouldn't stay. That's just rude...they used to do this at Wendy's when I worked there about 25 years ago... they would always send them home early until they quit... I never was one of the lucky ones..then again I was one of the only ones who did the heavy grunt jobs that the guys there always complained about doing. Sounds like it may not be the best fit for you..and they are wasting your time.

Good luck on next job! Sometimes we go through a good amount of jobs before we find our place.