Jimmy is having a breakthrough!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Jenn, it was one of those choke-you-up moments with the paw reaching/touching - and this last post had me laughing out loud! He is such a character.
: I'm so glad we're receiving even just a portion of "jimmy" - I can't imagine how much joy he brings on a daily basis.

My god, Jenn - you've gotten to the point where you WANT to start teaching him "no"!

And bolting around chasing imaginary things? He has come so far!

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jimmy is a totally different cat........ He is special and he brings LOTS of joy in our house.

Here are a few pics I took today.. One is socks and him. One is me scratching his head and you can see how he closes his eyes and squints when I scratch him. He loves it. And the other is Star and Yellow on a new bed I bought them. They love it. It is ultra soft... Some of the cats are afraid to step on it because it is such a unique type of material but they are all curious about it but they walk around it. Only about 3 cats will actually lay on it plus the dauchaund. Star, Yellow, Muffin the dog and Tink love it. I suspect the other will love it too. If they like it, I plan on gettign several more. They sink into it and it molds to their body... it is so soft....

I love this picture. This is Socks and Jimmy. What I like about this pic is Socks. She does not submit to any cat. She doesn't even like her baby Cookie. She doesn't like the other cats to groom her. She only likes being groomed by Juan and me. She is not a social cat at all. BUT, she submits to Jimmy. She loves him and they sit together a lot. He is the only cat she doesn't hiss at. The dogs and all the other cats avoid her like the plague. She will not even let them eat beside her except on rare occasion. She doesn't fight them but with her attitude, they just avoid her. She is mean to them if they get too close. She hisses and will throw that paw out. But not Jimmy. I'm not sure if she tolerates him or actually likes him but she looks submissive in this pic. But with Juan and I, she is the absolute sweetest cat you could hope to have. She works and works her paws in our hair when we lay on the couch. She is extremely affectionate with her people. But here she is being sweet with her Jim. He was licking the top of her head.

And here he is getting scratched. He sits by the canned/soft food. He loves it and doesn't want to miss one single bite that might come his way. He eyes eventually close when I scratch him and his head gets lower and lower until he is laying it down on my hand. He moves his head to the spot he wants scratched.

And here is Yellow and Star. Star is the same color as the bed. You can barely see her. And by the way, she is doing better now too. She lets hubby finally pet her after several years. hehe

Oh, and as far as Jimmy learning the word NO..... he doesn't like hearing it. He jumps on top of everything. For instance, he jumped on the kitchen table yesterday and I told him no and tapped the table. He just looked at me. So I pushed him gently toward the edge and said no. He whirled around and GLARED at me as if he were saying "how dare you push me toward the edge of the table". I said no again and this time when I pushed him toward the edge, he jumped down. He will learn but he does not like no. He likes to do it his way... hehe... He has a lot of intelligence.

He is also very different from Star. She still has a jittery side to her. Kind of skittish. Jimmy is not like that. He is solid. He is not scared, skittish and jumpy. He is all boy... He does not shy away from new things that I introduce him to. He takes it all in stride now. If you can describe a cat as being solid, well that would be jimmy. He is solid about everything he does. When he learns something, he knows it and will repeat it over and over without fear. Star is not like that. It has taken her much longer to get used to being petted than Jimmy. He only took two years. It has taken her twice as long and actually Jimmy is much tamer than Star.. She still runs from certain situations. Jimmy does not run from anything any longer. He waits to see what I am going to do. He absolutely trusts me now.

Yes, it is really something to be teaching him words now.
Like that old cigarette commercial "You've come a long way baby"...

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What adorable pictures.
You've done a wonderful job with Jimmy, Jenn.

I love the picture of Yellow and Star on the bed, they look so cozy.
You're right though, I really had to look hard to see star...she just blends right in.

Star sounds a lot like our Annabelle, it took her forever to allow us to pet her but we still can't pick her up...maybe for a half second but she's squirming to get down after that.
She also still runs from certain things and if we get company forget it...they never see her...my Sister told me if she hadn't have caught quick peeks at Annabelle she'd think we were making her up.

Annabelle is also a tortie...I wonder if along with the "tortitude" that they might be a little more stand offish too?
I always blamed it on Annabelle being semi-feral.

sheilad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What you have done with Jimmy is amazing!!! I love updates on this thread and can show my Hubby. He found it hard to believe that someone else has more kittys than I do. Keep up the Great work. My kittys and and I send you the best.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok........Jimmy is doing it again!!! He is wanting SO BAD to sit on the couch with me. Yesterday I "carried him" from the kitchen to the living room and sat down with him and placed him beside me. He stayed there for approx 10 seconds before jumping down.

And then all the rest of yesterday, while Juan and I were sitting around lounging in the living room, Jimmy sat on the floor two feet from us. I would hold my hand out and he would come to the edge of the couch and let me pet him. He did not jump up on it but he is definately thinking about it. He sat on the floor by the edge of Juan's chair just staring at him.

We pat the furniture and Jimmy watches the others jump up beside us. He doesn't jump to us yet but he will.

Putting him on the couch showed him that he could. It didn't scare him so he is thinking about doing it.....

He is so cute while he contemplates something new...

I can't wait till he sits by me. I'll have to get Juan to take a pic when it happens.... I don't know how long it will be but it will happen.

By the way, he does sit on the couch and sleep when we aren't on it. It's just different with people there... He sleeps on our bed too... Just not with us in it.....YET...

The closest place that he lounges beside me is when I am on the computer. He sits behind my screen on a shelf. About a foot from me. It took him a month to let me pet him while he sat there. Now he doesn't care if I pet him while he is in that spot....

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww, Jenn, I just love hearing about Jimmy's progress and seeing new pics of my favorite tuxedo boy.
He's a special guy. Bet it won't be long until he's up on the couch with yo and in bed at the same time you are.

Also, wanted to let you that I just had an udate on Jimmy's mom yesterday. The neighbors are still feeding her and Millie checks on her weekly. Says she looks healthy and is ruling the neighborhood with an iron paw. She won't let anybody get close to her, but does come running when Millie calls for her, just keeps her distance.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK. I've been doing some catching up. I cannot believe your neighbor stole Mama cat! Have you seen them since then? Have they said anything to you? Locking her in their basement to chase mice? I'm speechless!
GOOD ON YOU AND JUAN for going into the basement and getting her back. I'm glad it was unlocked - but GOOD ON YOU for being willing to break in!
What a nightmare.

How's Cow doing now? All filled in?

And while I was rolling through the thread, Gary looked over and said "Where is that picture of Tuxedo from?"
OK. So the markings are not EXACTLY the same. And Jimmy's back left leg has a break in the black that Tuxie doesn't have. But that wrap of black around the front left leg is the same, and their faces just look SOOOOOO much alike.

I remember the day when all Tuxie could stand was one pet on the cheek. It's four years later now, and we can pick him up for a few, hold him and pet him and he'll puuurrrrrrrrr.
In fact, he starts purring when we just stand next to him at this point.
He even jumps up on the bed for pets and brushes. But he won't lie next to us on the couch. He will sleep at the foot of the bed if the TV is not on. If the TV is on, he sleeps on the condo on top of the bookshelf next to the bed. But he can be brushed and petted and loved on for like 15 minutes now.

I really ought to figure out how to use the video feature on the camera to get a picture of Tuxie loving on Gary. Because when he's up on the condo, he'll stand up, flop on his side, stretch out his legs and "hug" Gary's head while he hangs on and rubs his head and cheek back and forth across Gary's head. He likes giving love as much as he likes getting it.

I think you've got a lap cat in Jimmy that Tuxedo just isn't. And I think you're gonna get out there with Jimmy long before we did with Tuxie.

Laurie

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WEll, I have been off line for a bit. Blossom chewed the internet cable in two pieces. We are on line by a single wire. I need to buy new cord. We blame ourselves because it was hanging on the fence and we neglected to bury it properly.

As far as Jimmy goes, he is doing great. Today he had another first. All the cats were outside all morning and now they are all tucked back inside and sound asleep from playing hard. All except Jimmy that is.

I was laying on the couch and he was the only cat awake and he walked up to me and lay on the floor by the couch at my head. I had the camera laying there and I dangled the string from it and he actually played with me. He rolled on his back and waved his kitty arms in the air and batted the string. I could hardly believe it. Before it was all over, I was scratching his head 'while he was laying down' and he was working his little paws in the air. THAT IS A FIRST!! He has not purred for me yet but we are working on it. He absolutely loves to be petted now.

Here's a few comical pics..... The two weird little ones were yesterday and the big one is just a few minutes ago after he was finished playing.

He is really coming into his own now and his little personality is able to really shine. He is a real joy to have around....! I am so glad his mama cat is doing good and that she is healthy. She obviously remembers Milly...

Some pics are just priceless........

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blossom, Blossom, Blossom...don't you know that Mommy NEEDS to get on the internet

I just love seeing pictures of Jimmy, he's such a handsome boy

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Naughty, naughty, Blossom.

Thanks for the new pics of the big guy, Jenn. He's as handsome as ever!

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished frontlining all the animals except Jimmy..... He is not dashing from me but he is staying 'one step' in front of me because he knows I am going to do something.

He is so smart. I get it in bulk and measure out .5 ml for each cat. He watched me do all the others and then it was his turn. I had been petting him through out all the process of this. He was on a bench a foot from me watching it all. When it was his turn, he jumped down just out of reach. When I would reach for him, he would jump back on the bench. Over and over. hehehe

Now, he only jumped if I had the frontline in my hand. Without the frontline he sat there and rubbed my hand..... He is gettign drowsy now as it is nighttime. I am fixing to get the brush out and do the brush fontline trick. It sounds good and I hope it works...

He is sleeping right now with one eye on me..... I'll have to do him like I do star....First and second.... apart from each other.

Star acts like she is dying when I front line her. She collapses and give up. Frontline is very tramatic for her. Jimmy is not like that. I talk to him like he is a person. With her, I have to coo that she is going to live through the next 10 seconds.. And she always does.. I remember her once staying outside for two weeks because of the frontline. She stayed away from me and my 'treatment'.... Now she is always first after that time.

I love it when frontline day is done. I can do them all in an hr or so... They all do real good.

Jimmy will be fine shortly. He did great last month when he got his shots. He sat through it like a little trooper. Star thinks she is dying when she gets her shots too. She avoids me for hrs afterwards believing I am out to get her. She peeks around the corner and watches the others.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That Jimmy is one smart boy.
Poor Star, she thinks she's being tortured!
Don't you just love how they watch you out of the corner of their eyes...one false move and their off like a shot!

She sounds like Elliott when I'm trimming his claws.
He does fine with the front ones, but when I make a move for his back feet he screams bloody murder.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jimmy's so smart because of his days as a street kitty. Got it from his mama too, I bet. It took several years to trap her!

And, Star sounds pretty fiesty. I just love hearing about your kitties, Jenn. They sure have a lot of purrsonality!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those pics and captions are hysterical, Jenn.
Who knew Jimmy was such studly guy!

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jimmy loves all the girls. He keeps hoping one day that "the fixings" will reverse themselves.

He has got swatted more than a few times for his "manly behavior"...

Look at the look in his eye in the second pic.....

He is doing great elly. He is really transformed. Everyday he is more and more gentle. He is also getting better at eating people food. He has to smell it for a long time however before he actually tried it..

And I have also found a soft brand of cat food he really likes... Fancy Feast. He will gobble that up........

I'll try to take some more pics in the next few days. Internet connection is still slow do to the cable.

This payday I'll try to buy a new one..... Juan is going to measure the length we need. We think it's around 150'.... Blossom would have to pick the longest cable to chew on.....

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I so enjoy reading about Jimmy. I have just gotten March 1 Frodo, a snowshoe feral mix. He is a wonderful cat - we could see his potential.

I love reading about Jimmy because I have hopes my Frodo will warm up like him!

Frodo is out and about now some in the house, he comes out in the kitty room when I am in it and will eat while I scchoop the boxes. He loves the other kitties he is in with - but has some issues with my male Grey Goose.

Tiny Frogita (5 lbs!) has rushed up and lifted a paw to him, as if to threaten him - and he backed down immediately! Baby the tiny female he is in with in the kitten room, litterally attacks and rough houses with him, and he lets her get away with it.

Not so with Grey Goose, whom I thought he might chase as he vocalized at him... Frogita rushed in to defend her brother cat - from this big mean snowshoe. It was sooo funny.

In general Frogita likes other cats alot
This one is taking some time for her to get used to. She's jealous of any attention that others get.

He will hiss when I approach too fast, or run. But if I approach slowly or sit down and play, he will get rightup next to me. I've stroked his tail a few times and touched one paw with a finger while crouching down (he was
hiding under his "bed").
He didn't seem spooked by it.

I suspect a rreally nice affectionate boy there. My hope is to tame, and get into a new home. But taming and socializing could take alot of time. I really hope he can be taken in by Siamese rescue.

The way we know he is part Siamese/Snowshoe - is based on his lovely blue eyes, and his coat colors - that sandy color with tabby points, and white sploches comes only from a Siamese/Snowshoe in the mix

Not to mention his meow - when he does meow that is...

He really is nice. I don't know much about Snoeshoes but I think that he
has a good disposition. Maybe that's common for the breed!

Anyway yayy to you for taking in Jimmy and seeing how well he is doing with the other cats. Always an inspiration.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have another Jimmy update.......

Jimmy lays on the couch beside me now. Not against me but about 8-10" or less away... He will flip upside down and lay there. I can wiggle my hand over him and he tries to play but he plays real rough with claws. He does not know how to be gentle yet.

And he also will head butt me on my head..... He will rub his head against my hand too when he sees me petting other cats. I can put my face and head real close to him and I feel comfortable doing that. We rub foreheads together.... Isn't that amazing???

He is 'becoming'............

I love him so much and I am so proud of him....

He still very seldom approaches Juan. When he holds his hand out to him, Jimmy just glares at him and then looks at me and walks calmly off.

And he also, when I am on the couch leaning back, he will walk behind me speed walking when he gets to my vicinity. He is looking for his spot. He is testing ground I think..... He wants to do so much..... And he has came so far.

When he started getting on the couch, I just patted it one day like I do for the others and he just jumped up there and lay down. When I sit on the couch I can call him and he will walk to my feet and let me pet him....

And he does know what NO means now. And he responds to it. But he doesn't do anything wrong...... He is essentially a perfect cat....

There are very few hurdles he needs to pass now..... He is still letting me hold him but not for long periods. I guess that is his next hurdle. Feeling comfortable in my arms and laying in my lap. When I hold him he does not try to get away but he leans out away from me...