Jigsaws

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
My dad told us when we were little that looking at the box is cheating, so I never look at the box.
I think it's totally up to the individual. I certainly wouldn't tell people not to, especially since I do. :lol:
It's whatever you find enjoyable.. They are, after all, meant to be fun. :)

I won't be as prolific for a while as my jigsaw buddy is moving away. :(
Here's the latest one.. an Opp Shop buy that had one missing. Quite beautiful though: White Tara.

tara.jpg

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My dad told us when we were little that looking at the box is cheating, so I never look at the box.
Well pass me my pumpkin cuz I'm a cheater! :lol:

Some of these ones I've chosen have way too much similarly colored sections. Like snow. If you look closely some is more blue, purple or gray. But in one it really wasn't different and I didn't have it in me. Even now I've got this one sorted with castle pieces in one bin, sky in another and then snow. I've got most of the definable bits made and some are coming into place. But I'm not rushing it. I might have to borrow DS's new desk lamp to work on it.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well pass me my pumpkin cuz I'm a cheater! :lol:

Some of these ones I've chosen have way too much similarly colored sections. Like snow. If you look closely some is more blue, purple or gray. But in one it really wasn't different and I didn't have it in me. Even now I've got this one sorted with castle pieces in one bin, sky in another and then snow. I've got most of the definable bits made and some are coming into place. But I'm not rushing it. I might have to borrow DS's new desk lamp to work on it.
A good lamp can really help!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
A good lamp can really help!
Yes! If your husband or you have any tools that use 18v or 12v batteries, you may be able to buy a lantern that uses those batteries as well. Rechargeable is nice because there are no cords to move around.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes! If your husband or you have any tools that use 18v or 12v batteries, you may be able to buy a lantern that uses those batteries as well. Rechargeable is nice because there are no cords to move around.
Oh that's a good idea. I bet DH would like having something like that around too.

I just got DS this desk lamp for Christmas. It's about 20" tall and produces so much better light than my old one; but the cords are never long enough for a table that isn't right at the wall. Being LED I was wondering if I could connect it to a portable battery pack or something. I know fluorescent light fixtures are ugly; but man they really do produce better light for stuff like this. :disappointed:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Finished the cat family. This puzzle was so much fun that I spent more time working on it every day than usually do. I had a tough time getting going, sorting by colors or patterns didn’t work well because of all the color gradients. So I eventually started by matching eyes, then noses and then chins. After the heads were assembled it went a little easier. There was also one edge piece missing so I didn’t know until I finished if there were others.
68B984F2-B210-4751-899B-09E263CFC833.jpeg

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Cute Kitty.jpg

Finished this a few days ago - a fun puzzle because some parts were simple (flowers, picture frames, porcelain cats, books) while other parts were much more difficult (the black telephone, and all the cats - the largest one being the last item completed).
The next jigsaw will have to be something borrowed so that I can return it asap. The picture is not very interesting (A White Horse) so it will take me a long time to finish. But, first of all, I must do some sewing. :disappointed:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The borrowed jigsaw took ages to finish. I finally correctly placed the last 50 odd pieces yesterday. Over the past few weeks we only had the 200 black pieces to sort out! I have to say "we" because I got some help. My eyes are not good, the pieces were not well cut and many had already been forced in and out of the wrong positions so were somewhat bent. The picture was a blow-up of the photo on the box and flowers and leaves were no longer well-defined. Even the colors had lost their brilliance making it much harder to determine whether one was holding a piece belonging to the hairy horse or a flower. I threatened to throw it all out and buy a new jigsaw (it's still available) to return to the owner. But a bad job well done - thanks to a very patient daughter!

Schimmel.jpg

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The borrowed jigsaw took ages to finish. I finally correctly placed the last 50 odd pieces yesterday. Over the past few weeks we only had the 200 black pieces to sort out! I have to say "we" because I got some help. My eyes are not good, the pieces were not well cut and many had already been forced in and out of the wrong positions so were somewhat bent. The picture was a blow-up of the photo on the box and flowers and leaves were no longer well-defined. Even the colors had lost their brilliance making it much harder to determine whether one was holding a piece belonging to the hairy horse or a flower. I threatened to throw it all out and buy a new jigsaw (it's still available) to return to the owner. But a bad job well done - thanks to a very patient daughter!
That would have just driven me insane and for sure it would be back in the box without being finished. I opened one a week ago and when I started sorting discovered that 80% of the pieces were some shade of brown and not a single interesting piece in the bunch. Back in the box it went and it will either get donated or wait until it’s the last puzzle I have left.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I bought this one with a gift voucher as it was crazily expensive. May Gibbs was an Australian children's book writer and illustrator who left all her copyright stuff to charity so they get the proceeds of any merchandise. I love her stuff.. it's very Australian and very whimsical.

may gibbs.jpg

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps the last puzzle till next winter! It shows all the things which can go wrong in an overcrowded supermarket: shopping being stolen, an armed robbery, shopping trolley losing a wheel, banana skin waiting to be trodden on. It reminded my daughter of a shop she visited at a holiday resort. After a day on the beach, whole families, tired and bad-tempered shopped on their way back to their lodgings. She soon changed her routine to avoid meeting so many unattractive, miserable holidaymakers in a rundown shopping centre.
She enjoyed the details in the puzzle immensely whereas I just concentrated on the shapes of the pieces - my eyes can no longer focus on such small details. But, I did find the false teeth, whale's fin and St Nikolaus which the illustrator includes in all his puzzles. He also puts himself in the picture - I've no idea what he looks like, but I can imagine him to be the distraught shop manager, tearing out his hair.
Comic Puzzle.jpg

I had to take the photo quickly before Woolly Bear crept into the picture - unfortunately I just captured her head - 2 seconds later and she had settled herself down for good. What's the attraction of a puzzle to a cat?

Comic Puzzle plus.jpg

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I had to take the photo quickly before Woolly Bear crept into the picture - unfortunately I just captured her head - 2 seconds later and she had settled herself down for good. What's the attraction of a puzzle to a cat?
'It is new and so I must own it'.

Fun puzzle!