Jigsaws

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I just pulled a puzzle out to work on. Its a 2000 piece puzzle which I rarely do but I picked this one up at the thrift store because the images looked interesting and a nice little surprise came with it. Sometimes when you buy used puzzles they may come with a basement smell or the smell of cigarettes but this one belonged to someone with the most wonderfully smelling lotion or perfume. It isn’t overpowering but as I am sorting pieces I occasionally get a waft of the great smell. With 2000 pieces I may be smelling for quite a while.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Now I’m wondering who the person was…Talulah Bankhead?

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
My Grandmother used to set out puzzles for the family to work on while we visited. There was one that took all of us about a month to finish; it was huge! She had it professionally glued and framed, and hung it over the mantle. My aunt ended up keeping it after grandma passed.

Are there puzzles where the pieces are cut in such a way that they flow with the shapes in the picture? Just curious. I think something like that with the right image would be visually interesting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
My Grandmother used to set out puzzles for the family to work on while we visited. There was one that took all of us about a month to finish; it was huge! She had it professionally glued and framed, and hung it over the mantle. My aunt ended up keeping it after grandma passed.

Are there puzzles where the pieces are cut in such a way that they flow with the shapes in the picture? Just curious. I think something like that with the right image would be visually interesting.
No, not really, furmonster mom furmonster mom , but there are wonderful wooden puzzles (there are a lot of Chinese rip-offs of them these days) where the pieces are pictures in themselves. Of the original makers, Wentworth are the best known. Of course all of the pieces can't be what they call 'whimsies' but it's fun to find the ones that are. Here are some examples of whimsy pieces and then how they fit into the puzzle. They always relate to the theme.
1659151844917.png
1659151858428.png
1659151876034.png

1659151966646.png

It's lovely that you have that family puzzle. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
…how long did that take you to do? I’m assuming you did it the way I’m told is “normal” w/out looking at the box?
I did it with a friend. We started off with all good intentions but it was virtually impossible to not cheat, especially to get it started.