Jigsaws

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
This is the White Mountain puzzle I just finished. Of the three I have done recently, this is definitely my favorite. View attachment 409154
Yes, it ticks all the boxes.. lovely picture, good groupings of colour etc.

This one was a lot of fun! Excellent quality.

jigsawsurreal.jpg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes! Thelwell Ponies, I used to have a lot of the books and I got birthday cards with their pictures on when I was a kid. I used to ride ponies that were a lot like them, in looks and attitude.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apparently there is such a thing called a puzzle lamp/light...not to be confused with the retro looking "puzzle lamps".
I have horrible lighting in my living room where I like to do my puzzles, I'm currently working on a 3000 piece Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle...super cool...but it's quite a set up to get decent lighting around me. Do any of you have/use a puzzle lamp? Is it worth it?

Daytime Isn't that bad as I have a huge window, but in the winter months, overcast days are more common than not and of course the sun starts to set early too so out comes all my lamps that I place strategically around me. I have no overhead lighting in my living room, but I think a floor lamp with a far reaching top part that could replace overhead lighting might be best for me....Any ideas?

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Apparently there is such a thing called a puzzle lamp/light...not to be confused with the retro looking "puzzle lamps".
I have horrible lighting in my living room where I like to do my puzzles, I'm currently working on a 3000 piece Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle...super cool...but it's quite a set up to get decent lighting around me. Do any of you have/use a puzzle lamp? Is it worth it?

Daytime Isn't that bad as I have a huge window, but in the winter months, overcast days are more common than not and of course the sun starts to set early too so out comes all my lamps that I place strategically around me. I have no overhead lighting in my living room, but I think a floor lamp with a far reaching top part that could replace overhead lighting might be best for me....Any ideas?
I was using just a desk light but now use my Ryobi chargeable flashlight (a picture of it is a few posts up in this thread). I love it because there is no cord in the way and I can move it wherever I need the most light on the puzzle,

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was using just a desk light but now use my Ryobi chargeable flashlight (a picture of it is a few posts up in this thread). I love it because there is no cord in the way and I can move it wherever I need the most light on the puzzle,
Great looking little light, but I still need "overhead" lighting. My setup doesn't really allow for small lamps to be placed directly on my working surface...it's not quite sturdy enough.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Great looking little light, but I still need "overhead" lighting. My setup doesn't really allow for small lamps to be placed directly on my working surface...it's not quite sturdy enough.
Maybe some kind of adjustable floor lamp then?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have seen floor lamps that are marketed to knitting/crocheting. Those would probably work well; if they aren't overpriced for what they do. I think some had magnifying glasses on separate arms. Which actually could be really helpful for the puzzles. My grandpa had something along those lines when he was getting older; but I would look for something with a LED lighting or just use a LED bulb so it doesn't get hot shining down on your work area. Traditional bulbs are pretty much gone anyway; but whatever he had back then felt like a heat lamp sometimes. I have a LED desk lamp with a long rectangular arm that works great and you change the lighting color a bit. The light it casts is much more consistent and wide spread than the old round bulb desk lamp.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Finished this new one. Colors were beautiful overall but up close the images were grainy, like it was over enlarged, so not as much fun as some others I have done recently.
View attachment 410461
What brand was it, susanm9006 susanm9006 ?

Once upon a time I would have done anything.. now I'm really fussy. Grainy wouldn't be good for me either.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
What brand was it, susanm9006 susanm9006 ?

Once upon a time I would have done anything.. now I'm really fussy. Grainy wouldn't be good for me either.
This was a White Mountain, same brand as the puzzle I did previous to it but way different in quality of the image. Fuzzy images is a common issue with their puzzles. I think the problem comes from the fact that they make some of their puzzles in both a smaller and a larger size (mine was the larger size). I suspect because of that they take the smaller picture and just enlarge it for the large size puzzle which causes the fuzzy and grainy images. I find it really distracting and annoying.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, that's a bid shoddy. :(
People rave about Ravensburger, and their quality is very good on all counts, but I've found some others that are just as good.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's a bid shoddy. :(
People rave about Ravensburger, and their quality is very good on all counts, but I've found some others that are just as good.
I just started a Ravensburger, seems like it will be interesting.