Jigsaws

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Just as an aside...I have an question of jigsaw ethics for you.

Jigsaws are really hard to get hold of at the moment. I have a few I've done and won't do again so I put them up for free on Facebook marketplace (one at a time) saying to please only ask for them 'if you or your family genuinely enjoy them and need some entertainment in these tricky times'.

People have been really great.. one woman got in too late for one of them, but is a nurse and is concerned about her elderly mum, who loves jigsaws. So I found one she would probably like. The next day there was a photo in my messenger of her mum doing the jigsaw.
I don't expect that, of course, but it's lovely to see.

Then there was a woman who I gave one to.. a very pretty bird jigsaw... who said she and her sons really enjoy them and did I have more.. she offered to buy them. I said not at the moment, but I did find one that I'd found at an op shop and was unlikely to do, that looked very teenage boyish, so I gave her that one as well.

I went on tonight to list one, and there was the bird one. She had done it, said it had only been done once (which I guess is true if she means she only did it once....) and was asking $25 for it.

Am I being silly to feel annoyed? I find it exploitative, as usually they would sell for about $10 on marketplace, but because of coronavirus people are paying much more. Plus she's fibbing about it, and she got it for free.

But then, is all fair in the coronavirus jigsaw world?

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Just as an aside...I have an question of jigsaw ethics for you.

Jigsaws are really hard to get hold of at the moment. I have a few I've done and won't do again so I put them up for free on Facebook marketplace (one at a time) saying to please only ask for them 'if you or your family genuinely enjoy them and need some entertainment in these tricky times'.

People have been really great.. one woman got in too late for one of them, but is a nurse and is concerned about her elderly mum, who loves jigsaws. So I found one she would probably like. The next day there was a photo in my messenger of her mum doing the jigsaw.
I don't exect that, of course, but it's lovely to see.

Then there was a woman who I gave one to.. a very pretty bird jigsaw... who said she and her sons really enjoy them and did I have more.. she offered to buy them. I said not at the moment, but I did find one that I'd found at an op shop and was unlikely to do, that looked very teenage boyish, so I gave her that one as well.

I went on tonight to list one, and there was the bird one. She had done it, said it had only been done once (which I guess is true if she means she only did it once....) and was asking $25 for it.

Am I being silly to feel annoyed? I find it exploitative, as usually they would sell for about $10 on marketplace, but because of coronavirus people are paying much more. Plus she's fibbing about it, and she got it for free.

But then, is all fair in the coronavirus jigsaw world?
It’s nothing you or I would have done - I gave away fourteen puzzles I had done on Facebook. But we don’t know the woman’s circumstances or how important that $25 was to her. It also could have been that you get bombarded when you give something away free and maybe she didn’t want to deal with that. Anyway, bless you for passing them on.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well that was tricky!!!

View attachment 332480
Great job! It's a beautiful puzzle!

I'm not sure about ethics, but maybe she really does need the money. I've been thinking about sending some of my completed ones to my brother - I just know he doesn't have the table space and he doesn't have a puzzle box like me.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
mani mani My initial feeling would be annoyance as well but perhaps she really does need the money.

May I ask what company sells Goose in Red Boots?

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
mani mani My initial feeling would be annoyance as well but perhaps she really does need the money.

May I ask what company sells Goose in Red Boots?
It's made by Heye and is called 'New Shoes' (and it's a stork :lol:). Sellers aren't much use to you as I'm in Australia :)

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow lari, you're becoming a puzzle-whizz!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, Lari Lari , that one went fast! I have started another one but am not very enthusiastic about it because it is about 70% browns. I am going to try to finish it but it is boring.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finished the Irish hutch
0505201605a.jpg

Now I've started the other one I picked up in Malaysia almost 10 years ago - only 450 pieces, but they're tiny! The hutch was used from a library, this one was new from a store and more expensive.

0505201646.jpg

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Well done Lari Lari !
Were you living or holidaying in Malaysia? I worked there for a bit over a year way way back in the dark ages. :lol:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well done Lari Lari !
Were you living or holidaying in Malaysia? I worked there for a bit over a year way way back in the dark ages. :lol:
I tried to teach there because I was having trouble finding a job at home. In retrospect, it was a disaster. I was really homesick and the job was not what they said it would be and I ended up getting fired two months in (out of what was supposed to be a two year contract). It was a beautiful country and everyone except my employers and the ants that infested my apartment were lovely, and I wish I'd gotten to see more of it before I left.