Jigsaws

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Our Prime Minister, Scott Morrison (ScoMo for short.. Australians just love to shorten everything) told people they can only go out for essential services.. the usual groceries, health, and to pick up a jigsaw!
Of course now everyone is into them as they're a very efficient and enjoyable time-waster.
I've been into them for a long time as I think they're really meditative.

Anyway, this will not be the most 'used' thread in the lounge, but I thought for those of us who are into them, we could share what we're doing.
I know Mia6 Mia6 is eagerly awaiting a new one, and I'm half way through this one, of a rather disturbing Alice (in Wonderland). You can see her in all her evil glory when she's finished. :biggrin:

So if you have any jigsaws, past or present, here's the spot for them. :)

angry alice.jpg

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any due to lack of space, but I do enjoy them. My grandmother has a special desk for them-it has a sliding cover, so the puzzle can't get messed up. I'd like something like that.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Prime Minister, Scott Morrison (ScoMo for short.. Australians just love to shorten everything) told people they can only go out for essential services.. the usual groceries, health, and to pick up a jigsaw!
Of course now everyone is into them as they're a very efficient and enjoyable time-waster.
I've been into them for a long time as I think they're really meditative.

Anyway, this will not be the most 'used' thread in the lounge, but I thought for those of us who are into them, we could share what we're doing.
I know Mia6 Mia6 is eagerly awaiting a new one, and I'm half way through this one, of a rather disturbing Alice (in Wonderland). You can see her in all her evil glory when she's finished. :biggrin:

So if you have any jigsaws, past or present, here's the spot for them. :)

View attachment 329291
Oh mani that is so cool!! Scomo is right, ha!!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
This thread will be pretty cool! I love puzzles; my dad used to have a puzzle going all the time after he retired. He had a large wooden board in the living room for his jigsaws and we'd buy him new puzzles to put together; we started buying him more difficult ones because he put them together so quickly.

We don't have a place in the house for a puzzle that's safe from prying paws, but I've been thinking of putting one on the table in the shed. Nice post!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
They are very handy Kat0121 Kat0121
I made a really lightweight one from a coated cardboard and some grey audio board stuck on top of it. The audio board is a bit 'grippy' and works really well. That way you can move it around.
I've very lucky that the cats seem to respect the jigsaw :lol:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are very handy Kat0121 Kat0121
I made a really lightweight one from a coated cardboard and some grey audio board stuck on top of it. The audio board is a bit 'grippy' and works really well. That way you can move it around.
I've very lucky that the cats seem to respect the jigsaw :lol:
Lilith rarely gets into anything. Sophie makes up for it by getting into EVERYTHING. Nothing is sacred. :lol:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would love to work on the one I started around Christmas break but I haven’t had the free time. I love the Thomas Kinkade Disney puzzles. So I might put up the Christmas one and switch to one of those.

These are what I’ve got out now but I might switch to Beauty & the Beast puzzle.
image.jpg

This is where I’m at with the Christmas one.
image.jpg

Without this puzzle board I don’t think I’d even start any. My BFF is really good at puzzles. She will complete complicated ones in just 2-3 days. I sent her one that was a picture of jelly beans and it took her no time. Just little jelly beans. We did a puzzle that was all number 2 yellow pencils once in school over a blizzard break. That’s beyond my enjoyment level. :lol:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Love the puzzles. We always have a card table set up with one. I had to graduate to the 1000 piece ones because the 500 ones would be put together in 4 hours..if i work hard I can put a 1000 piece together in one to two days=but lately with my ordeal, it's taking me about a week.

I have to upload some pictures. Honeybee always lays on it and tries to help me-we just feed her treats and then she jumps off. for now Lilah and Bee leave the puzzle alone.

I shopped like a fiend last summer for puzzles at all yard sales/thrift etc and got a good supply going-I have found I really enjoy the ones from White Mountain Puzzles the best-they are the perfect size=about the size of the 33" X 33" table and the pieces are larger. I tend to stick to water scenes/cabin/woods/animals themes but lately I found a bunch of different theme ones-one is cookbook covers, liquor brands, cape cod stuff and other similar types. I find these much harder as there's tons of different colors where the others had large sections of one color-I usually make piles of the main colors then put the edge together first, then put the brightest colors together first..

I used to love puzzles as a kid-didn't work on them for 20 years until last year or the year before? Jon likes to work on them too but he gets easily frustrated..growing up my neighbor always had these huge ones set up-the one I remember is this ship one-and they seemed to enjoy watching me put it together..it was one of those monster 1500 size ones with the small pieces...I always enjoyed going over their house for the puzzle and a pepsi :)

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I use one of these for my puzzles

I just slide it next to my computer desk when I'm not working on it. If I don't keep puzzles in a portapuzzle my cats steal the pieces and hide them. My cats hoards are all over the place and sometimes if I forget to put the portapuzzle away I end up vacuuming up a piece.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love doing puzzles. I usually only do then in my porch during the summer where I can semi control animal interference, however I moved the table in recently and did one so far last week. Lost nine! pieces thanks to my pets. Ugh. I need a better table and cover I think.
E42642C3-9126-42DC-AA7B-E0575744EC68.jpeg

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I love doing puzzles! When I started in a new building at work last year, I discovered the floor I was on had a community puzzle they would do. It was super fun, and helped me relax at breaks. I loved doing them. Now we are mostly working from home, and I decided to risk the cats and buy a few puzzles. It was .... mostly successful. She's starting to learn all she gets is a kiss on the head and a trip to the floor when she jumps up, which has reduced jumps by 30%. :rolleyes2:
2020-04-07_KRH_05825.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I shopped like a fiend last summer for puzzles at all yard sales/thrift etc and got a good supply going-I have found I really enjoy the ones from White Mountain Puzzles the best-they are the perfect size=about the size of the 33" X 33" table and the pieces are larger. I tend to stick to water scenes/cabin/woods/animals themes but lately I found a bunch of different theme ones-one is cookbook covers, liquor brands, cape cod stuff and other similar types. I find these much harder as there's tons of different colors where the others had large sections of one color-I usually make piles of the main colors then put the edge together first, then put the brightest colors together first..
I really like it when there's lots of different colours.. those 'themed' ones... and find them easier. I'm sure it's different for all of us :)
This is one I've done recently and is a 'keeper'. It was pretty easy and very enjoyable. (I used to like difficult ones, but I'm a bit over it now)

jigsaw.jpg

I love doing puzzles. I usually only do then in my porch during the summer where I can semi control animal interference, however I moved the table in recently and did one so far last week. Lost nine! pieces thanks to my pets. Ugh. I need a better table and cover I think.
View attachment 329396
Love that puzzle, and so will a friend of mine who has a turtle 'thing'. It looks like a Sunsout, which should be available here. :)

I love doing puzzles! When I started in a new building at work last year, I discovered the floor I was on had a community puzzle they would do. It was super fun, and helped me relax at breaks. I loved doing them. Now we are mostly working from home, and I decided to risk the cats and buy a few puzzles. It was .... mostly successful. She's starting to learn all she gets is a kiss on the head and a trip to the floor when she jumps up, which has reduced jumps by 30%. :rolleyes2:View attachment 329435
True tortitude :lol: :redheartpump:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I use one of these for my puzzles

I just slide it next to my computer desk when I'm not working on it. If I don't keep puzzles in a portapuzzle my cats steal the pieces and hide them. My cats hoards are all over the place and sometimes if I forget to put the portapuzzle away I end up vacuuming up a piece.
Where did you buy that? It looks handy.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
mani mani , I LOVE your puzzle. I need interesting things and bright colors. If the pieces are are brown, dark or just not distinctive I get bored and don’t want to finish.

foxxycat foxxycat , White Mountain is also one of my favorite puzzle makers too. I have done dozens of the collage puzzles and always look for them at thrift stores. I also love Aimee Stewart puzzles from Buffalo Games.

I keep a “puzzle chest” in the basement to store puzzles until I am ready for a new one. In the past every couple years I have sold my completed ones at flea markets. This year I just gave away the twelve I had in my completed box.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a pharmacy/drug store in the town my parents live in that has filled their front window with puzzles, all numbered. So you can look at the window and pick one out, then go through the drive-thru and tell them which number you want. Really very ingenious of them!

I have too many cats and nowhere to put a puzzle board. But I do enjoy them when possible.