Jerky

Gary O

Mad Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
I was fed up with giving my cats treats full of highly processed ingredients, that didn't really satisfy them according to the small amount safe to give. I noticed in the shop dog treats and thought, that might work, chewy things that would keep them occupied for ages; like that I discovered the wonders of chicken jerky. They don't just like it, it sends them frantic until it's in their mouths and they have both run off to their secret places to indulge themselves. Unfortunately, or perhaps in all truth fortunately, I discovered that jerky from China is making dogs very ill, causing kidney disease. I looked closely at the bags I was buying and to my horror found that it was indeed coming from China.

Since then I have tried to make my own but it wasn't very successful until today. I used a baking tin with holes in the bottom; it's a replacement tin for an expensive air dryer, and skewered thin strips of chicken breast, which I then hung from the sides of the tin. I made no marinade nor salted them or anything, baked them for ten minutes at about 350F then reduced it down to the lowest my oven will go about 275F and kept a check every half hour till they were jerky, about an hour and a half in all. They are frantic for it just like the bought stuff. The only problem now is say no to them lol.