Jeffery Had A Nasal Tumor

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jeffery the cat is gone. I posted about his on-going apparent upper respiratory infection issue which started in December. We took him to the vet and they focused on his thyroid level. At the time he wouldn't really eat and sounded like he was gagging.

The vet practice people had us bring him back to test his kidney levels twice--but never really addressed the "cold" thing until the last time we had him in. He'd stopped being willing to eat the pill pockets with the thyroid medication. And mixing it in with baby food was iffy. They gave me cerenia-oddly-to put a drop in his nose to address "inflammation." One day when putting it in his nose I notice a bit of a growth.

It was a real struggle to get him to eat and he was avoiding us, slinking around and scared about getting medication. So Kirby took him back to the vet today. The vet finally looked in his nose and it was clear to her that it wasn't a polyp but cancer. It was pretty involved and so Kirby made the decision to have him euthanized. We discussed it before the appointment-that if it looked like cancer-that was it. If we have learned anything from the passing of his siblings Etta and Charlie, it was not to put him through extensive treatment for no good end.

Nasal tumors get nasty quick, based on my reading about it and the vet confirmed that to Kirby. It's hard to be the one to make the decision and Kirby's taking it super hard. He was nearly 15 and had a great life. Not many other people would have dealt with his skittish nature.

He spent the morning in the window getting his head bathed by his favorite Scoo.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for the loss of Jeffery! It is never easy, one of the hardest decisions we ever have to make. Keeping you guys in my thoughts. and wishing Kirby a peaceful day.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I am really sorry to see this thread and my heart goes out to you. Jeffrey has been really lucky to live with such caring and persistent human carers who have continued to check in with vets and seek answers to his ongoing health issues.
That morning spent with him, watching him at the window enjoying something he loved is a precious memory to keep. :vibes:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You were right to spare him a future of pain, stress, and starvation. It hurts so bad to have them leave our lives, but I hope you can take comfort in knowing you gave him a wonderful home full of understanding and love, for over 14 years. He thanks you and loves you for that.
The bond you forged with him, link by link, will be with you forever. Love is spiritual, therefore eternal. It can never be taken from you. His tiny soul is linked with your own, intertwined and joining the other loves that reside there.
I hope Kirby will not hold guilt for ending suffering, the blame is on the cancer, not the one who loved him and wanted the best for that little one. It's hard not to dwell on the end, but try to focus on Jeffery's life, and what he brought to you by sharing your life's journey for a while. His life is so much more important and shouldn't be overshadowed by the death. That journey follows a new path now, but will forever parallel your own. He will always be near in spirit. a love like that just can't disappear, it is too strong.
My heart goes out to you, I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Take care........RIP precious Jeffery. you will never be forgotten and will always be held in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you until you meet again!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So very sorry for the loss of Jeffrey. :hugs: Sounds like he had a wonderful 15 years with his human, and a perfect last morning before crossing the bridge to be with Etta and Charlie.

I just lost my Nero in November to a fast growing nasal tumor. He made it about 3 weeks after diagnosis before he and I made the decision it was time. It had shown signs of its development about 3 weeks prior to that and I had been hoping upon hope that it was just a cyst when I brought him to the vet. He'd had chronic sinus infections since he was a kitten, whether it had anything to do with it we're not sure, but he had 9 years with me. Lost a childhood cat to a nasal tumor as well.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that you lost your little friend, so sorry that he developed cancer, but he is fine now, relieved to be free of his pain riddled body, but he is healthy and happy again, no problems and is waiting until he sees you all again one day down the line.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless......:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks all. It was the right thing to do. With his siblings, I feel like we waited a bit too long. As you know, it's difficult to make the decision when they are interactive, and even having a good day despite everything else you know is going on. With Jeffery, he was having some discomfort clearly about breathing through his nose. The tiny nibbles of food could have been because he couldn't smell the food, but it could have been because he was approaching the end of his life too.

The vet office took paw prints from him and sent them today. His ashes are here now too along with those of his siblings and the late Estellie jelly belly.

A few years ago, His sister Charlie jumped on the patio screen door and knocked it out. Kirby was herding cats from the deck back into the house. Jeffery was immediately like a feral cat. Even inside, he wasn't entirely tame, but never violent or mean.

We thought he was gone for good. But one day I was weeding around some blueberry shrubs and Jeffery wandered across the yard, hissing and growling. I brought out a plate with a can of food. He gobbled it up, while glowering and hissing. A couple months of this and he finally agreed to come in. He was so different after that. Laid across my ankles almost every day.

The vet thought he was the most compliant cat ever (ha!)

With Charlie, I had promised to bring her home after the vet and so I did. Her last day it seemed like she couldn't swallow. With Etta, her last night she had trouble catching her breath and struggled to breath. At least her last day was getting some relief by getting oxygen, but I think that Jeffery had a better last day where he at least had a good morning. I'm sure he was super hungry and for that I am sorry. I don't think there was a different decision to make.

I always miss the kitties that go. The hardest was Hazel who went the year Jeffery, Charlie and Etta showed up-full of future and kittenhood.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet finally looked in his nose and it was clear to her that it wasn't a polyp but cancer.
I'm so sorry for the death of your Jeffery, I know how hard it is.
My cat Lola had a nasal cancer. She was sneezing a lot, the vet mistook it for a cold, but when the antibiotics weren't working they ran a rhinoscopy and found out what it was.
I tried the impossible, and had her treated with radiation therapy and it worked fine and gave her 5 and a half more years, until a different cancer took her away from me.

RIP Jeffery, now you can meet my Lola and chat with her about what you both had.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for the death of your Jeffery, I know how hard it is.
My cat Lola had a nasal cancer. She was sneezing a lot, the vet mistook it for a cold, but when the antibiotics weren't working they ran a rhinoscopy and found out what it was.
I tried the impossible, and had her treated with radiation therapy and it worked fine and gave her 5 and a half more years, until a different cancer took her away from me.

RIP Jeffery, now you can meet my Lola and chat with her about what you both had.
5 and 1/2 years extra, that's wonderful. Jeffery was so skittish and really adverse to medication, and handling, we just couldn't force him any more. It didn't seem like the good times were more than the bad times. He sure was an innocent little soul though.

He was holding his head straight up and I think it was to get more air, or it was affecting his ability to swallow. He just couldn't eat, either because of not being able to smell the food, or the illness.

Klinkie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You were right to spare him a future of pain, stress, and starvation. It hurts so bad to have them leave our lives, but I hope you can take comfort in knowing you gave him a wonderful home full of understanding and love, for over 14 years. He thanks you and loves you for that.
The bond you forged with him, link by link, will be with you forever. Love is spiritual, therefore eternal. It can never be taken from you. His tiny soul is linked with your own, intertwined and joining the other loves that reside there.
I hope Kirby will not hold guilt for ending suffering, the blame is on the cancer, not the one who loved him and wanted the best for that little one. It's hard not to dwell on the end, but try to focus on Jeffery's life, and what he brought to you by sharing your life's journey for a while. His life is so much more important and shouldn't be overshadowed by the death. That journey follows a new path now, but will forever parallel your own. He will always be near in spirit. a love like that just can't disappear, it is too strong.
My heart goes out to you, I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Take care........RIP precious Jeffery. you will never be forgotten and will always be held in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you until you meet again!
This was such a beautiful post, I joined the forum just to thank di and bob with all of my heart. I said goodbye today to my dear sweet companion today- “Klinkie” just one of his many nicknames, had late stage nasal tumor. It became aggressive quickly. Apologies for being graphic, but if it may help others relate, my sweetheart’s eye had begun showing evidence of blood in the corner which indicated the eye orbit had been compromised and the cancer was spreading throughout the nasal areas of the skull. D I had become closed, and there was a real problem managing the discharge from it. His appetite was still OK, he was still continent, and I spent last night loving him up, and made some recording’s of his purring. In my research I had heard many people say it’s best to euthanize when it was a good day for him and not one he was in pain. Witnessing the pain might have helped justify it for me but you don’t want to see your loved one in pain, either. Everything went smoothly and I loved him up to and just after his beautiful spirit moved on to the next plane. Thanks once again to Di and Bob for a beautiful post. One line I will always remember was when I read the words saying how love is a spiritual thing, and therefore goes on eternally. Thank you so much, and blessings to all who are going through the same.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I appreciate the kindness you are bestowing on me. Thank you for giving me incentive to go on, to know that what I am trying to say is truly helping to heal.
When you are able, please post a tribute to the life of your precious Klinkie. Each and every one of amazing felines deserves the thoughts and prayers of many. I know you are hurting so much right now, but one day I pray you can think of your little one's life, and what it brought to your own life's journey, and not dwell on the painful end. Remember, "Death cannot take that which never dies", and you know for sure the love and the bond you have with that tiny spirit will be with you forever. time is truly the only thing that helps.....RIP dear Klinkie, you were so very loved and that was enough for you. Please send comfort to a broken heart that misses you so dearly.... goodnight, sleep tight, sweetheart!

Klinkie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I appreciate the kindness you are bestowing on me. Thank you for giving me incentive to go on, to know that what I am trying to say is truly helping to heal.
When you are able, please post a tribute to the life of your precious Klinkie. Each and every one of amazing felines deserves the thoughts and prayers of many. I know you are hurting so much right now, but one day I pray you can think of your little one's life, and what it brought to your own life's journey, and not dwell on the painful end. Remember, "Death cannot take that which never dies", and you know for sure the love and the bond you have with that tiny spirit will be with you forever. time is truly the only thing that helps.....RIP dear Klinkie, you were so very loved and that was enough for you. Please send comfort to a broken heart that misses you so dearly.... goodnight, sleep tight, sweetheart!
Your words have been a great comfort at this trying time. Sending thoughts of love and appreciation out to Nebraska.