Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Jeff Sessions Resigns

Discussion in 'IMO: In My Opinion' started by donutte, Nov 7, 2018.

1. donutte

donutte Thread Starter Professional cat sitter extraordinaire! Top Cat

Apr 22, 2015
    Northern suburbs of Chicago

2. mschauer

mschauer TCS Member Top Cat

Jun 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    Trump asked him to resign so essentially he was sacked. Trump waited until after the mid-terms because he knows it makes him look bad and might cause a backlash that could have hurt Repubs in the elections.

Now the question is how long will it take for Trump to find a replacement who will agree as a condition of employment to fire Mueller.

micknsnicks2mom and Pucks104 purraised this.

3. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    I didn't think Sessions was a great choice in the first place. BUT, he does show some semblance of having honor. And you know how Trump hates that :/. I'm sure now he'll find some boot-licking lackey who will fawn over him in the manner he wishes and who will obstruct justice the way he wants.

ETA: It looks like Matthew Whitaker has been named as replacement. I don't know anything about him, I'll have to look him up.

ETA again: he's just temporary. A replacement is to be appointed "at a later date".

I honestly wonder if it's possible for Trump supporters to find anything he does unacceptable, if he can ever go too far for them. I'm guessing no. That's scary.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

4. Winchester

Winchester TCS Member Veteran

Aug 28, 2009
    In the kitchen
    Whitaker is only acting AG, only until the ManBaby can find somebody willing to kiss butt long enough to get rid of Mueller.

micknsnicks2mom purraised this.

5. mschauer

Jun 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    Whitaker is also taking over supervision of Mueller's investigation from Rod Rosenstein. Next announcement will probably be that Rosenstein has been sacked.

Whitaker has been critical of Mueller's investigation. Bet he'll take steps to throttle it.

6. mschauer

Jun 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    Nope, they have infinite capacity to see everything he says and does as being something great regardless of how objectively repulsive it is.

7. Katie M

Katie M TCS Member Top Cat

Jun 1, 2017
    Kingwood, WV
    Nixon, unbelievably, still has his supporters too.

8. Q2U

Q2U TCS Member Alpha Cat

Jun 27, 2018
    Donald Trump is a vile despicable individual; I just don't get it. hypnotized.gif

margd, muffy and DreamerRose purraised this.

9. DreamerRose

DreamerRose TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 11, 2015
    Naperville, IL
    Same here.

10. Stinky15

Stinky15 TCS Member Adult Cat

Jun 9, 2018
    I honestly wonder if the Trump HATERS can find anything he does acceptable?

Yet Pelosi, Schumer, Schiff, Waters and others on the left aren't despicable?

Rosenstein should have recused himself to begin with and shouldn't have been involved. Everyone should be critical of Mueller's phony witch hunt, there has been no evidence of collusion presented. Maybe now that the midterms are over Mueller will wind it up.

11. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    I am not a fan of Jeff Sessions because I believe that he is an extremist on many issues particularly immigration but he was right about the thing that got him into hot water with Trump. He had to recuse himself from the Russia investigation because he was part of the campaign. Trump said that if he had known he was going to recuse himself he wouldn't have nominated him, he should have known that he would recuse himself because he had no choice.

12. Katie M

Katie M TCS Member Top Cat

Jun 1, 2017
    Kingwood, WV
    Guess the indictments were phony too?

margd and micknsnicks2mom purraised this.

13. Stinky15

Jun 9, 2018
    How would he know that, wasn't Mueller appointed after Sessions?
    Mueller appointed May 2017, sessions appointed Feb 2017.

14. Stinky15

Jun 9, 2018
    Which indictment was for any collusion by Trump?

15. mschauer

Jun 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    Trump thought Sessions would protect him because he thinks the AG is the Presidents personal counsel. That is what he is used to in private life. His lawyers protect him. The idea that the AG has both moral and ethical obligations to remain neutral are completely lost on him. In Whitaker he has another shot at finding an AG who will do his bidding. If he does the DT can make him the permanent AG. If not, he's easily replaced since he is currently only temporarily in the position.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018

16. mschauer

Jun 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    I haven't been totally opposed to everything he has done. I am however, totally, absolutely, unequivically, disgusted by his tactics and with how he conducts himself. He has no business being in a position where he is supposed to represent our country and our people.
    The DT is in a league of his own. No one else comes close.
    I'm getting so tired of saying this but here it is again: The Russia investigation IS NOT ABOUT PROVING COLLUSION. It is about INVESTIGATING credible evidence of wrong doing. The indictments that have been filed already prove the investigation IS NOT a witch hunt.

17. doomsdave

doomsdave TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    Oh, yeah, this was obvious from the get-go. Hawgzilla didn't like Sessions' refusal to stop the Mueller investigation. As much as I don't like Sessions, he at least had a shred of principle. I liked him for that. Trump bitched endlessly about Sessions, so again, it's no surprise.

Will the replacement be any better or worse? I'm not optimistic, but who knows. Hawgzilla really does not understand a lot of things, and that includes governmental transparency.

Get out and vote. This isn't over yet. 2020 looms. Who's going to run against Hawgzilla and the Apprentices/Accomplices?

18. mschauer

Jun 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    micknsnicks2mom and doomsdave purraised this.

19. DreamerRose

DreamerRose TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 11, 2015
    Naperville, IL
    Yes, those are Trump's words, but they have never made any sense. Sessions couldn't have known he was going to recuse himself before there was an investigation. More Trump babble and confused thinking.

20. mschauer

Jun 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    The salient point is that Trump admits he expected Sessions to ignore the ethical issue of whether he should recuse himself in favor of showing loyalty to him. In other words, he doesn't understand that the AG has to remain neutral. Trump wanted him to show allegiance to him even if it meant betraying his neutrality. Trump values loyalty over integrity.

margd and micknsnicks2mom purraised this.