Jealous?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome. I have a question for you. Bijou sleeps with us (curled up with me) at night and Mika sleeps with our daughter (Mika is her kitty). Both cats will curl up, groom each other and have a nice nap on our bed during the day but come bedtime, Bijou will not allow Mika to sleep in our bed with us. When our daughter stays overnight at her friend's house, I'd like Mika to be able to feel comfortable sleeping with us (hubby, me and Bijou) but Bijou, who is wonderful with her any other time, chases her off. Why is this so?

catpsych

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there,
That is a good question, since cats are so territorial, they prefer to have more territory than less of it, expecially 3 dimensional or vertical territory. Durring the day when the bed is not occupied there is plenty of space, so no need to fight. Yet at night, territory and space on the bed is very limited, so this leads to them duking it out to see who gets to keep the territory. To solve this issue I would add more vertical territory to your bedroom. You can accomplish this by adding window perches to your bedroom windows and leaving the blinds cracked at that level, purchasing and placing a large sturdy scratching post in the bedroom, situated somewhere between the bed and a window....one with several perches. (FYI: They prefer the 'U' shaped perches best) Also you can add a comfy chair or recliner too, any furniture that increases the vertical levels of your home is a plus and a nice addition to feline territory. This should do the trick. Good luck!

Originally Posted by Yosemite

Hi and welcome. I have a question for you. Bijou sleeps with us (curled up with me) at night and Mika sleeps with our daughter (Mika is her kitty). Both cats will curl up, groom each other and have a nice nap on our bed during the day but come bedtime, Bijou will not allow Mika to sleep in our bed with us. When our daughter stays overnight at her friend's house, I'd like Mika to be able to feel comfortable sleeping with us (hubby, me and Bijou) but Bijou, who is wonderful with her any other time, chases her off. Why is this so?