Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Jealous Cat Dad

Discussion in 'Cat Behavior' started by kalif, Jul 11, 2018.

1. dustydiamond1

dustydiamond1 Minion to Gypsy since October 2016 Top Cat

Jan 24, 2017
    Central Illinois, USA
    :clap::clap2:

2. kalif

kalif Thread Starter TCS Member Kitten

Jul 10, 2018
    Brother in law likes him. He pets him while watching tv. Occasionally they play fight. But he generally just leaves charlie be.

dustydiamond1 purraised this.

3. kalif

Jul 10, 2018
    I think he's already jealous as it is. But they get along somewhat...

4. kalif

Jul 10, 2018
    I will definitely keep that in mind!! :)

5. kalif

Jul 10, 2018
    That's our Charlie.. Leia on the other hand demands attention. Especially from my wife. It's hard to go out to work sometimes. But it's rewarding when we return home.

dustydiamond1 and maggiedemi purraised this.

6. kalif

Jul 10, 2018
    Thank you all. Such overwhelming suggestions and advice. I really appreciate these. I will try them out. And also learn to accept the teenager in the house needs to hang out with the "cool" people besides his dad. Been about two days since I've been keeping it cool. And charlie is slowly getting better from his illness.

Here's a picture of him lounging around Charlie Chewingston.png

dustydiamond1, maggiedemi, 1 bruce 1 and 6 others purraised this.

7. rubysmama

rubysmama Forum Helper Staff Member Forum Helper

Nov 25, 2013
    Canada
    Awww.... Charlie is gorgeous. :purr:

Is that him and his lovely sister, Leia, in your profile pic? If you like, you can "formally" introduce them, and yourself, in our New Cats on the Block forum. :compsurfing: We love pictures, BTW. :camera:

8. AbbysMom

AbbysMom At Abby's beck and call Staff Member Moderator

May 18, 2005
    Massachusetts
    I'm trying to take a "This too shall pass" approach. We've had her 13-1/2 years, so this isn't the first time she's been upset with me. :lol: It may be the most drastic though. I'm allowed to pick her up, but she has never allowed my husband to. This still hasn't changed.

9. kalif

Jul 10, 2018
    Yes that's Charlie and Leia in the profile picture. They were bird watching when i snapped the pic. It's so hard to snap a good picture of Leia since pictures doesn't do justice to how pretty her coat is. It's a nice blue-ish grey, but the camera keeps turning it warmer.

10. PushPurrCatPaws

PushPurrCatPaws TCS Member Top Cat

May 22, 2015
    What a handsome cat! :goldstar:

I've been reading along with this thread, and feeling some kinship with you, @kalif -- I wondered if you tried having your wife take over just some of the feeding and/or med-giving duties? That could eventually let your cat know that that is not all you are "good for", so to speak. Cats often are utilitarian creatures, seeing one human as being the provider of playtime or cuddle time, the other human being the provider of food and meds, for example.

When my husband and I got our current cat, we knew we wanted to share in the caretaking duties more equally... it really helps our cat come to either of us at various times, for playing or food or cuddling. The cat realizes that, as a human, you have "many talents", lol. And it takes some of the emotional pressure off of the "main" caretaker in the long term.
    Kitten Viciously Attacks Me...

:goodluck:

11. 1 bruce 1

1 bruce 1 TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 8, 2016
    He's almost identical to one of ours with that same impish, wide eyed look!

12. maggiedemi

maggiedemi TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 26, 2017
    If you play or cuddle with Leia, does he come over to see what you're doing?

13. kalif

Jul 10, 2018
    My wife does the feeding in the morning. She was 'trained' by Charlie. He'd wake her up at about 4 or 5 am by nibbling or gently biting her awake. Which is fine since she does wake up at those hours for work- sucks on weekend though. We both shower them cos that's a two-person job. Other than that. the rest of the task is mine cos my wife's busy schedule.

PushPurrCatPaws purraised this.

14. kalif

Jul 10, 2018
    He used to. He's a pouncer/predator player. So when we played with Leia with a toy he'd hide and attack the toy when we least expect it.. Now he just watches like "i'm too old for this game" kind of demeanor. He hardly plays much. I miss those days. Leia is such an active player that she demands playtime by meowing at us. They do play with each other, but Charlie being a 'predator' would bite on her a bit too hard. And Leia, having much bigger paws, would lay the smackdown.

After Leia's smacking, Charlie has learnt to bite less hard even with us.

maggiedemi and KarenKat purraised this.

15. maggiedemi

maggiedemi TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 26, 2017
    If it were me, I would spend more time with Leia. At least you have one lap cat. I would enjoy that and maybe Charlie will come around later. That's what's great about having multiple cats. :)