Jealous Cat Dad

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be...or it could be something different.
Bear in mind he's a young cat in a house hold with many humans. You've been the best "cat dad" ever. But from the eyes of a teen with a good dad, their dad is "OK", but they're branching out and want to hang out with the "cool people" (aka the ones they don't know as well).
I got along with my parents really good. But when I was 13-14, I was suddenly kind of not loving the idea of dinner with them, shopping with them, etc. I wanted to hang out with new people.
This is probably WAY personifying cats but I figure it's worth throwing that out there.
:clap::clap2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kalif

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just gotta ask...
Does your brother in law like him, I mean, interact with him, play with him, enjoy his company or does he tolerate his presence, maybe give him a gruff somewhat affectionate pat and then ignore him, allowing him to sleep on his bed/hang out while watching TV?
Brother in law likes him. He pets him while watching tv. Occasionally they play fight. But he generally just leaves charlie be.

kalif

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's frustrating but just give it time, be cool and happy with him. If he comes in the room, say a bright, cheerful hello and go back to what you're doing. Cats like the chill life =)
I will definitely keep that in mind!! :)

kalif

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:bliss:When we are at work we look forward to coming home to our Gypsy girl. When we get home she acts like she couldn't care less. :gaah:
That's our Charlie.. Leia on the other hand demands attention. Especially from my wife. It's hard to go out to work sometimes. But it's rewarding when we return home.

kalif

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all. Such overwhelming suggestions and advice. I really appreciate these. I will try them out. And also learn to accept the teenager in the house needs to hang out with the "cool" people besides his dad. Been about two days since I've been keeping it cool. And charlie is slowly getting better from his illness.

Here's a picture of him lounging around
Charlie Chewingston.png

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I've seen the fun uncle thing (never had one myself). I'm sorry for your predicament. Seems you have it worse than me. Perhaps this thread would be useful to both of us - since i'm also medicating him for the moment. Charlie was upset with me the whole day for trying to sneek meds into his favorite treat.
I'm trying to take a "This too shall pass" approach. We've had her 13-1/2 years, so this isn't the first time she's been upset with me. :lol: It may be the most drastic though. I'm allowed to pick her up, but she has never allowed my husband to. This still hasn't changed.

kalif

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is that him and his lovely sister, Leia, in your profile pic?
Yes that's Charlie and Leia in the profile picture. They were bird watching when i snapped the pic. It's so hard to snap a good picture of Leia since pictures doesn't do justice to how pretty her coat is. It's a nice blue-ish grey, but the camera keeps turning it warmer.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all. Such overwhelming suggestions and advice. I really appreciate these. I will try them out. And also learn to accept the teenager in the house needs to hang out with the "cool" people besides his dad. Been about two days since I've been keeping it cool. And charlie is slowly getting better from his illness.

Here's a picture of him lounging around
View attachment 241606
What a handsome cat! :goldstar:

I've been reading along with this thread, and feeling some kinship with you, kalif kalif -- I wondered if you tried having your wife take over just some of the feeding and/or med-giving duties? That could eventually let your cat know that that is not all you are "good for", so to speak. Cats often are utilitarian creatures, seeing one human as being the provider of playtime or cuddle time, the other human being the provider of food and meds, for example.

When my husband and I got our current cat, we knew we wanted to share in the caretaking duties more equally... it really helps our cat come to either of us at various times, for playing or food or cuddling. The cat realizes that, as a human, you have "many talents", lol. And it takes some of the emotional pressure off of the "main" caretaker in the long term.
Kitten Viciously Attacks Me...

:goodluck:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Here's a picture of him lounging aroundView attachment 241606
He's almost identical to one of ours with that same impish, wide eyed look!

kalif

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wondered if you tried having your wife take over just some of the feeding and/or med-giving duties?
My wife does the feeding in the morning. She was 'trained' by Charlie. He'd wake her up at about 4 or 5 am by nibbling or gently biting her awake. Which is fine since she does wake up at those hours for work- sucks on weekend though. We both shower them cos that's a two-person job. Other than that. the rest of the task is mine cos my wife's busy schedule.

kalif

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you play or cuddle with Leia, does he come over to see what you're doing?
He used to. He's a pouncer/predator player. So when we played with Leia with a toy he'd hide and attack the toy when we least expect it.. Now he just watches like "i'm too old for this game" kind of demeanor. He hardly plays much. I miss those days. Leia is such an active player that she demands playtime by meowing at us. They do play with each other, but Charlie being a 'predator' would bite on her a bit too hard. And Leia, having much bigger paws, would lay the smackdown.

After Leia's smacking, Charlie has learnt to bite less hard even with us.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it were me, I would spend more time with Leia. At least you have one lap cat. I would enjoy that and maybe Charlie will come around later. That's what's great about having multiple cats. :)