Jazzed! We just finished our first diy cat tree!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Echolane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, Gypsy has shredded her cat tree posts. I've watched many videos and I should be able to rewrap. Just wondering if I should use the original sistil rope or use a different material such as hemp rope. Appriciate any input. Thanks
Your cat must really love his cat post! Better a shredded cat post than shredded furniture!!

I don’t have enough experience to give a definitive answer as to whether to use hemp or sisal. But since every cat post I’ve noticed has been made with sisal, I’d stick with sisal.

Echolane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's 50 lbs of bobcat that fell asleep while playing with his scratching post
That is one gorgeous cat! Had no idea you could make a bobcat into a pet. Would love to hear your story. Have you talked about it somewhere where I could look it up? Or if not, do tell! I’ve longed for one of those wild looking cats, a Bengal or a Savannah, for example, but at our ages, I don’t dare take a chance. What if something happened to us and they proved difficult to rehome...... As it is (thank goodness) we have “godparents” for our two, Timo and Gemi. Romy presents a bit of an extra problem and that’s a loose end we still have to deal with.

Echolane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We decided to wrap a 2x6 plank with sisal instead of another 4x4 post thinking that the cats might prefer to walk down a plank rather than jump the fairly long way to the deck. The more I think about it though the more I worry they will get lazy and abandon the post in favor of the plank. I guess time will tell.
1A97B371-C5D0-47D7-9C88-B49E39132A4B.jpeg

Timo is thinking about going up the plank.

We did learn one lesson and that is don’t procrastinate about doing your own cat post. It’s a lot easier than it seems!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
We decided to wrap a 2x6 plank with sisal instead of another 4x4 post thinking that the cats might prefer to walk down a plank rather than jump the fairly long way to the deck. The more I think about it though the more I worry they will get lazy and abandon the post in favor of the plank. I guess time will tell.
View attachment 323693
Timo is thinking about going up the plank.

We did learn one lesson and that is don’t procrastinate about doing your own cat post. It’s a lot easier than it seems!
Oh thanks for the encouragement! I'll post a picture when I get it done.
I think the plank is a great idea. Love your catio.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is one gorgeous cat! Had no idea you could make a bobcat into a pet. Would love to hear your story. Have you talked about it somewhere where I could look it up? Or if not, do tell! I’ve longed for one of those wild looking cats, a Bengal or a Savannah, for example, but at our ages, I don’t dare take a chance. What if something happened to us and they proved difficult to rehome...... As it is (thank goodness) we have “godparents” for our two, Timo and Gemi. Romy presents a bit of an extra problem and that’s a loose end we still have to deal with.
They start out at 200 mph with no steering or brakes. The speed and lack of control includes legs, teeth, and claws.
This increases 10 mph per month for the 1st 36 months.
Then, they start to slow down, calm down, and turn into pretty darn good cats. Allowing you a chance to rebuild your house and furnishings.
Once you get everything repaired or replaced. They must approve the work. If they like what you've done, they'll begin to start marking it as their own.
Don't get a bobcat. Don't even wish you could.
But, if somebody decided they wanted ours? They better bring an army....or two.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Echolane Echolane

Bobcat: Wild cat that's a member of the Lynx family. Found roaming the forests of North America. Hunts rabbits, squirrels, small rodents, birds, and have been known to take down deer when conditions are favorable. Life expectancy: 5 years or so. (Nature just isn't a very forgiving place.)

Bobturd: Tame cat, member of the Lynx family. Found roaming my living room. Hunts tennis balls, purple fuzzy things, blankets, other various small objects, and has been known to take down sofa's and recliners when conditions are favorable. Life expectancy: Highly dependent on what I catch him eating next...... (You mean there's no pillows and blankets in the woods?? And those other woodland creatures won't bring me fresh meat twice a day??.......Wha???)
Won't actually eat you out of house and home. WILL actually eat your house and home though. :lol:

Room to run and romp outside is almost a "must"

Echolane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They start out at 200 mph with no steering or brakes. The speed and lack of control includes legs, teeth, and claws.
This increases 10 mph per month for the 1st 36 months.
Then, they start to slow down, calm down, and turn into pretty darn good cats. Allowing you a chance to rebuild your house and furnishings.
Once you get everything repaired or replaced. They must approve the work. If they like what you've done, they'll begin to start marking it as their own.
Don't get a bobcat. Don't even wish you could.
But, if somebody decided they wanted ours? They better bring an army....or two.
Ohmygosh, I thought my kittens were destructive and a challenge to raise but there is no comparison to your bobcat - Whew! Your outdoor space for the bobcat makes our catio look like a doll house in comparison (lol). Clearly, a bobcat is a lifetime commitment and since they live a long time it’s not something we could possibly contemplate, but I envy you such a wonderfully interesting companion!

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohmygosh, I thought my kittens were destructive and a challenge to raise but there is no comparison to your bobcat - Whew! Your outdoor space for the bobcat makes our catio look like a doll house in comparison (lol). Clearly, a bobcat is a lifetime commitment and since they live a long time it’s not something we could possibly contemplate, but I envy you such a wonderfully interesting companion!
He is interesting. He has his own room (sunroom) in the house and stays there mostly. Gets to run around the rest of the house a couple times a week, but only supervised. Have to go through and baby proof everything in advance.
Always ends up back in his own room though. He seems to like that room best. Probably all the windows.

auntarctica

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a similar question. How did you attach the sisal rope to the posts? Thanks

Echolane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, but I don’t know anything about hemp or other rope materials. Sisal seems to be in wide use. In fact I’ve never seen a cat tree advertised using anything but sisal, so it makes sense to imitate the experts.

Echolane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a similar question. How did you attach the sisal rope to the posts? Thanks
We bought a package of “staples”. Not the sort you’d use in a staple gun but the kind you use a hammer to nail in place. We were careful to place them deeply and to locate them where the cat’s claws are unlikely to catch.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, but I don’t know anything about hemp or other rope materials. Sisal seems to be in wide use. In fact I’ve never seen a cat tree advertised using anything but sisal, so it makes sense to imitate the experts.
I would just use what is similar to what your cat scratches like fabric if they enjoy scratching the sofa or a strip of runner if they scratch the rug.

Better they scratch a sacrificial surface than your 1000$ sofa

My cats ignore sisal and prefer the rough industrial runner that is found in hallways or in front of doors for wiping shoes before entering.

Sabbers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow these are great, I would like to do the wall climber and shelves, since I saw Jackson Galaxy catifying houses. It will give me something to do during the lockdown. Your cats must be so happy with their own runs.