Java: Evaluation Of The Nutritional Adequacy Of Recipes For Home-prepared . . . Diets

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone been able to obtain the full text of this article? It's slated for publication in JAVA May 15, 2019, but is available to registered users online now.

JAVA

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe your vet subscribes to JAVMA and can give you a copy of the article.

You can also check with the local library or a college / university library.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, LTS3! I know I could probably get it from both of those sources . . . I'm just being lazy. I thought maybe one of our internet wiz-kids had access to it. There's a branch of our public library close by and I'll probably swing by there a little later. If I do I'll post it here.

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’d be curious to know who funded the study.

While it’s good that there are studies being done on homemade cat food, if it’s got lots of funding from a pet food manufacturer, that’s something to take into consideration.
Just like with studies for humans. You know, conflicts of interest and all.

It seems the conclusion is that if you don’t have specialized cat nutrition training and specialized software, the diet will most likely be deficient in something and lead to problems.

And if this is coming from folks who believe that dry food is good/just fine for cats.....:dunno:

I had a vet recently tell me that due to domestication, you can’t feed cats like they’re bobcats anymore, and that they need fiber.
I searched for corroborating information, and what I found, specifically a 2018 article from Scientific American that addressed this specific question, was that no, cats physiology hasn’t changed; they require meat, and lack the ability to make the enzyme amylase to properly digest starches. Dogs, however, have evolved away from their wolf ancestors, and produce amylase.

I’d be interested in seeing the study and the diets they evaluated, but I would like the conclusion to be that support of cat owners who choose to make their cat’s food is a good thing, help them get it right.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's one of the primary reasons I want to read it. And, of course, to make my own recipe better.
Please share your findings and your improved recipe when you do!

dhammagirl dhammagirl Your vet and many others are wrong of course. Evidenced by all the sensitive tummy cats who require raw to stay healthy. Some cats are just more tolerant to processed food but it's still not ideal. Even those cats benefit from raw with better coats and stools.

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
lavishsqualor lavishsqualor Yeah, I’d also like reassurance that the Alnutrin I use is sufficient, that my recipe is good enough.

kittyluv387 kittyluv387 fortunately, my regular vet is ok with my feeding raw, even if she doesn’t really promote it. She knows I’ve done a ton of research on it.

The vet who said that was an emergency vet who said she didn’t believe in raw feeding, and proceeded to try to make feel like a bad cat mom. How dare I think I know more about cat nutrition than her! :cloudy:

:soapbox: While I appreciate veterinarians knowledge and training, they, like human doctors, get little to zero training in nutrition. Even nutritionists often get information tainted by businesses/corporations.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lavishsqualor lavishsqualor Yeah, I’d also like reassurance that the Alnutrin I use is sufficient, that my recipe is good enough.

kittyluv387 kittyluv387 fortunately, my regular vet is ok with my feeding raw, even if she doesn’t really promote it. She knows I’ve done a ton of research on it.

The vet who said that was an emergency vet who said she didn’t believe in raw feeding, and proceeded to try to make feel like a bad cat mom. How dare I think I know more about cat nutrition than her! :cloudy:

:soapbox: While I appreciate veterinarians knowledge and training, they, like human doctors, get little to zero training in nutrition. Even nutritionists often get information tainted by businesses/corporations.
Yup I'm always having to politely change the subject when they address nutrition. My cat eats a high protein raw diet so his creatinine is a tad bit high but has been stable. So they're trying to push me to prescription food every time. Like no...that will give him diarrhea. He doesn't do well with processed food.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems the conclusion is that if you don’t have specialized cat nutrition training and specialized software, the diet will most likely be deficient in something and lead to problems.
Following this logic, humans wouldn't be able to feed themselves, as most of us don't have any specialized human nutrition training and software.
Obviously homemade requires knowledge, but we live in 21 Century, knowledge is there to easily get.

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sigh....
Where’s the articles about the risks of some commercial cat foods? Like the issues caused by dry foods, putting plant matter in the food, or having more fat and carbs than protein?

I was surprised to read that some cat food recipes called garlic, onions, or onion powder. There’s definitely some questionable recipes out there.

And vegetarian cat food. :argh:
I understand the motivation, kind of. I’m vegan, but I would never consider not feeding my obligate carnivore meat! They require it, I don’t.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was surprised to read that some cat food recipes called garlic, onions, or onion powder. There’s definitely some questionable recipes out there.
That's a big part of the problem. There is plenty of legitimate ammo for the anti-homemade crowd to use. And it is very difficult for someone wanting to make their own homemade to distinguish between legitimate and non-legitimate claims on BOTH sides.