Jaundice and not eating

taxcatkim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So Olivia 🐈⬛ went on a hunger strike for some reason and now she’s jaundice and not well. Blood work showed elevated liver enzymes - specifically Bili and ALP. Ultrasound showed potential possibilities of hepatic lipidosis, cholangiohepatitos, or hepatic lymphoma. They did a fine needle aspirate to test cells in her liver. Waiting on results….

In the meantime, been syringe feeding her Hills A/D. Yesterday was first full day of syringe feeding. I’ve been giving her 20cc every 4 hours and she is tolerating it ok with no vomiting. My vet said to try and get a can a day down her. Anyone recommend I syringe more at a time or shorter intervals or longer intervals?

Just a worried cat momma….

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taxcatkim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s growling so she is certainly not thrilled with me right now.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your best bet is to have a feeding tube (in the esophagus) installed if she doesn't like you putting the syringe in her mouth. It's SO MUCH easier! Believe me, been there, done that.

Your Vet should have given you instructions on how much to give and how often. Usually they start you out a little slower and have you gradually increase the amount you give. With our guy, we were giving I think 60 mls every four hours, but he was a very large cat (not obese just large) and I'll admit it was about 25 years ago so my memory could be off.