Japaneses Bob-TAIL Cat

staceylynn2002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Everyone,

About 3-4 months ago I picked up a cat that was lingering around my local gas station. He has like a bob-TAIL. It is about 2-3 inch long. I thought that maybe someone docked his tail but usually you can tell when a TAIL has been docked by a scar which I have looked over it an cannot notice one. I started looking on google to see if I can try to see what kind of breed my cat is and I came across Japaneses Bob-TAIL. 

What does everyone else think?? Is he this type of breed?? If so, are they hard to find and the price they usually cost?? NOOOOO...Im not going to sell him...I LOVE HIM TO MUCH. PLZ help me identify him!!!

I posted some pic of him...He is so beautiful!!!

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Taillessness is a genetic mutation that,some cats carry. It's fairly common. He looks to be a domestic shorthair to me.

Pedigreed JBT cats are extremely rare and would not be walking the street unless they had gotten lost. JBT cats also tend to have kinky tails, rather than missing, or partial tails.

He's no JBT nut he is a handsome fella. Are you planning to keep him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

staceylynn2002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am keeping him...

He is so friendly and loving and great with other animals.

It was a thought was just searching to see if he was.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Staceylynn,

I have several Japanese bob-tail cats, not pedigree cats, just strays I lured in from the street. I live in Japan so they're fairly common over here.

As @bigperm20  said, Japanese Bob Tails have a kinked tail. If you touch his tail and can feel any lumps or twists in it, it could be that he has that gene. I don't know what the tail feels like in DSH that have short tails, I guess it's straight?

He's a beautiful boy, I'm glad he's found a new home with you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

staceylynn2002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Strange enough im glad that u said about the lumps or twist cause it feel like at the tip of his short tail there is a lump. It feel crooked. So maybe so?? 

An thank you....He loves it here!!

marzekiel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He looks so much like my bobtail who wandered into my life at the end of August.  He was unfixed at the time. He's a wonderful, wonderful cats and everyone loves him.  Are you in Florida?????

marzekiel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, just came back to check more things out about my JB, and realize nobody had a comment about him.  Had him for a year now, and he's a wonderful cat with great spirit.

What do you think?

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh wow they do look a lot alike. Both are so pretty. I love the bob-tail kitties. I have a ginger & white bob-tail. He was born like that too. He also has a kink near the end of his tail but I just assumed it was like that. He is such a sweet-heart.

marzekiel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks!  I love him dearly. He's funny and fun!

Do you know of any Japanese Bobtail forums?  I'd love to find one!

Thanks for your nice mesaages

Last edited: