Japanese Cat Food Products

New_Pulse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I've been watching videos by a popular Japanese youtube channel, and they provide very useful information about cat products and food. The video (included below) mentions that even cats in Japan live longer than cats in America. I can assume cats in Japan can live longer than 18, even 20, years. Now, I'm not asking if, once I get a kitten, I should buy Japanese food products in hopes for my cat to live longer. I'm asking for opinion if maybe Japanese cat food products (and even other products) could be a better choice?

I'm already sold on the litter box, too. Looks quite easy to handle than dealing with dusty and messy sand.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be genetic. I grew up in Japan because my dad was in the Navy, and we got 2 kittens while we were there. They always ate American food that we bought at the Commissary. We moved back to the States when they were 5 so after that they definitely only got American food. They both lived to be 21. So I'm gonna guess it's not the food ;).

Japanese litter products are cool though. They tend to have very small houses so odor control and tracking seem to be better with Japanese products.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everything in this video is also available in North America. I don't use litter made of silica as it is just as bad as clay in terms of dust. I also don't use a covered litter box because cats like to have multiple escape routes when they poop/pee. I use grass litter which is better for the environment and low dust.

I didn't see any Japanese food products in the video, not sure what they are like.

Edit: woops, I think I skipped past the food part. I saw some Purina? If it's the same as the one sold in America it's crap. Hard to tell the quality from this video, but cats don't need specific food for their age. All cats need high protein, moderate fat, low carbs, lots of moisture. The age thing is a gimmick.

phaelin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been subbed to that channel for years... Love those cats and their ppl :)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sodium bentonite used in clumping clay litter is bad, can cause blockage if to much is eaten.

I do use crystal silica litter, it is made from water, oxygen and silica sand, it does not contain sodium bentonite. I wouldn't want my cat to eat much of any litter, but i don't think crystal litter is toxic.

I use grass litter also, i like it too. I use crystal litter, grass litter, and walnut litter. My cats like variety. :) I don't use covered boxes either.

I have a few friends in Japan with cats, most of their cat food brands are seafood. My friends have a hard time finding anything that is not seafood for their cats.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do we know for sure that cats live longer on average in Japan or are we just going by the fact that Purina markets food for cats 18 years of age there?

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m sold on the banana hat. And that really cute orange and white long haired cat. I have a soft spot for long haired giant orange boys. :p

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I've been watching videos by a popular Japanese youtube channel, and they provide very useful information about cat products and food. The video (included below) mentions that even cats in Japan live longer than cats in America. I can assume cats in Japan can live longer than 18, even 20, years. Now, I'm not asking if, once I get a kitten, I should buy Japanese food products in hopes for my cat to live longer. I'm asking for opinion if maybe Japanese cat food products (and even other products) could be a better choice?

I'm already sold on the litter box, too. Looks quite easy to handle than dealing with dusty and messy sand.

I love Rachael and Jun!

They have a very fun video taken at Wanwand Land (dogs) but they spend a lot of time in the cat houses, too. =)

phaelin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
sodium bentonite used in clumping clay litter is bad, can cause blockage if to much is eaten.

I do use crystal silica litter, it is made from water, oxygen and silica sand, it does not contain sodium bentonite. I wouldn't want my cat to eat much of any litter, but i don't think crystal litter is toxic.

I use grass litter also, i like it too. I use crystal litter, grass litter, and walnut litter. My cats like variety. :) I don't use covered boxes either.

I have a few friends in Japan with cats, most of their cat food brands are seafood. My friends have a hard time finding anything that is not seafood for their cats.
My cats never eat the litter. Plus sodium bentonite can be used to filter water as well so little prep for me I guess.