January 2023 Book of the Month Club - Homer’s Odyssey and/or The Cat Who Saved Books 🐈

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For our first book of 2023 we wanted to read one about a cat, since it’s our love of cats that brought us all to TCS.

Initially we decided on “Homer’s Odyssey”, which received 7 votes in last April’s
poll, so we knew there was already interest. Then “The Cat Who Saved Books” popped onto our radar. With a talking cat and a bookstore, it sounded like a fun story to start the year. So rather than try to choose between these 2 completely different books, we chose them both.

Therefore in January 2023, everyone has the option of reading one book or two.

Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper

1669909441733.png

The Cat Who Saved Books by Sōsuke Natsukawa
1669909271996.png

The reading period will be January 1st to January 21st, with the discussion starting on January 22nd.

The above dates, however, aren’t written in stone, meaning there’s nothing stopping anyone from starting to read one of the books in December, if you feel you need extra time. Or if you read a little past January 21st, that’s fine too, as the discussion goes on till at least January 28th.

Discussing 2 books at the same time does have the potential to get a bit confusing, however, as the 2 books are so different it should be easy to differentiate between them.

Everyone is invited to read along with us. You can RSVP by posting in this thread.
Any questions, feel free to ask.

Both books are available at Amazon.

Homer's Odyssey
The Cat Who Saved Books

Reviews can be read at Goodreads. Keep in mind reviews are subjective, so read them with an open mind, and don’t let someone else's opinion influence yours before you even read the book.

Goodreads Reviews:

Homer's Odyssey
The Cat Who Saved Books

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My library has both as well. I read Homer's Odyssey a few years ago, so will do a fast reread of it, to refresh my memory. The Cat Who Saved Books will be a new read for me, though, so looking forward to it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Still lots of time till January, but giving this a bump in case anyone missed it, and might want to put one of the books on their Christmas Wish List. 🎅

1670593688695.png

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just ordered them both. "Homer's Odyssey" has been on my wish list for YEARS, but there are so many books on there (over 2000), that it kept being put off for "later." And now, "later" has come! And "The Cat Who Saved Books" sounds just delightful! I cannot wait to read that one!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
pearl99 pearl99 : That's great that both are now available at your library.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 : Glad our book club has given you a reason to move "Homer's Odyssey" from "later" to next month.

I know gilmargl gilmargl posted in the Dec thread that she already has both books, so will be reading them.

Anyone else thinking of joining us?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m thinking of joining, if I can find a (free) copy of The Cat Who Saved Books!
That would be great if you can join us. Not sure if there's any free copies online, but maybe check with your local library. They might have a copy. Also, if your library is affiliated with Hoopla, the audio book version can be borrowed there.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just downloaded both of them from my library, but since I read pretty quickly, I'll probably read another book first, then start one of them.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
pearl99 pearl99 : Excellent news! Let us know which one you start first.

Boris Diamond Boris Diamond : Yay! Glad your library has both books. Hope they will become available quickly.

mani mani : Oh, that's great you can get it on audible. Hope it's a good narrator.

Anyone else going to join us? The more the merrier. :biggrin: