January 2022 book of the month club - A Lion Called Christian

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't realize it was a TV series, so I looked it up. It was in 1974 and I was in college so no wonder I didn't know, I didn't watch much TV in those years!
Maybe we could do a duet on the theme tune...
I didnt realise it was 1974 in which case I wasn't a kid, well maybe a big one. As for the duet, Ok I'm game, not to mention tone deaf. Its not true that all the Welsh can sing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 : You mentioned about not expecting to like Ace and John because of them purchasing an exotic animal for fun. I totally agree that's it's wrong, however, in this case, it didn't really bother me, possibly since I'd seen the reunion video, and knew he wouldn't be kept captive in London for too long. 🦁

pearl99 pearl99 and V verna davies : Will you be making your Born Free theme song duet available on Youtube? :lol:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry to report that John Rendall has died at age 76. I only hope that Christian was waiting eagerly for him when he arrived at his destination.
Sorry to hear that, but thanks for letting us know. I'm sure we can all visualize what the reunion between him and Christian would look like.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What really struck me about the book was how similar Christian is or was to house cats, which just goes to show that cats are cats. The only big difference is that lions are bigger and stronger than house cats. Even when Christian growled at people, I can see a house cat doing the same thing. So I don't think the effusive reunion shot was out of character for Christian. Of course he remembered Ace and John, just like our cats would remember us.

I first saw this story on a documentary about Harrod's department store, and when the narrator mentioned that they once sold exotic animals, the story of Christian came up. Ace and John made a spontaneous decision to buy Christian, and both they and Harrod's made sure they were prepared to keep him. There was nothing inhumane about what they did.

This pic I've already posted in the cat memes thread, but it's worth reposting here. Cats are cats the world over.
tiger.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
DreamerRose DreamerRose : I also loved the similarities between Christian and house cats. I think the only difference might be that lions form prides and have family connections. However, from some things I've read about feral colonies, as well as house cats that live with other cats, I think they form families too. Glad you joined in the read this month, btw, and hope you'll join us again another time.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Today's the last day of January, which means we'll be moving on to our next book. Thanks to everyone who read and reviewed "A Lion Called Christian". This may have been the most participants yet for a book club month, so it was a great way to start 2022.

Hope you'll join us again in February when we will be reading The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by
V. E. Schwab.
February 2022 book of the month club - The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue

For now, here's some more pics of that lovable lion called Christian.

1643643851941.png

Last edited: