January 2022 book of the month club - A Lion Called Christian

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For our first book of 2022, we’ve chosen the true story of 2 young men and their pet lion, Christian. Their story became internationally known in 2008 when a video about them appeared on Youtube. If you haven’t seen the video, or don’t know the story, and don’t want to be spoiled, don’t click the spoiler tab, until after you’ve read the book, which was originally released in 1971, then updated and re-released in 2009.

The book for January 2022 is
A Lion Called Christian by Anthony Bourke and John Rendall

1638629979267.png

We will be reading it between January 1st and January 21st
Discussion will begin January 22nd

Everyone is welcome to read along with us. You can RSVP that you're going to read it, by posting in this thread.

Reviews can be read at Goodreads:
A Lion Called Christian

Official Website: A Lion Called Christian - Official Website | Ace Bourke

That should cover everything, however, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

1638630481775.png

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
My local library has a copy of this book. Which is a good thing, because the local library has suspended resource sharing because of "delays in contract negotiations." Five libraries out of the hundreds and hundreds in the resource sharing net have this book and my local library is one. I'm in!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can I join even though I've already read it? It's a wonderful book. On second thought, maybe I shouldn't. I just gave away a spoiler. :paperbag::paperbag::paperbag::paperbag::paperbag::paperbag::paperbag::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:
Of course you can, nurseangel nurseangel . Everyone is welcome, whether they are reading the book for the 1st time or as an encore reading.

I don't see a spoiler, btw, so guessing you deleted it. 😌

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just ordered it from Amazon. Was amazed that the hard cover was MUCH cheaper than paperback! Won't be here until 12-14, but I read fast! Saw the specials about Christain YEARS ago, and have been wanting the book, then forgetting!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's great to see the interest in reading Christian's story. I remember the video from years ago, but have never read the book, so looking forward to it. I've already borrowed the e-book from the library. Just have to finish the book I'm currently reading first.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I will probably finish it tonight. It has been a quick read, mostly because I want to know what happens! I have particularly enjoyed the pictures, color and B&W.

When I picked it up at the library, several librarians discussed how much fun it would be to hug that big kitty like the main characters are doing on the front cover of the book!