January 2021 book of the month club

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My book ended the same as yours. All the talk of an epilogue with additional info is just confusing to me, since I haven't seen / read it. :ohwell:
When I tried to find out about the "Epiloque" I was referred to the first few chapters of the book, when NN was living in exile and reminiscing. It's a shame that we've all been discussing things "at sixes and sevens" as my mother would say! :)
But it's reassuring to know that at least we both read the same book!

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
No epilogue in the edition I read either!

I enjoyed this book. It was an easy read once I got used to her writing style. I think that the author has great understanding of people.

At the start of the book, the protagonist hated her job and did not see much chance of anything else. Maxim must have seemed like a knight in shining armor, there to rescue her from her dreary life. She was not happy at Manderley, but she seemed satisfied at the end of the book.

Maxim must have been badly fooled by Rebecca to have married her. He soon found out who she really was. His life must have been miserable, to love her and be so thoroughly hurt by her at the same time! I think he was fairly happy at the end. The protagonist was quite different from Rebecca. She must have seemed refreshingly innocent, naïve and unassuming to him, a welcome change.

Rebecca was, I'm sure, a very accomplished person. She made great connections with people, had great taste, great energy and great skill in many things. But she was a sicko, too. A brilliant person gone bad is very dangerous.

I did not expect to enjoy a "Gothic suspense novel." But this book kept my attention and I finished it fairly quickly. Thank-you for choosing such an interesting novel, rubysmama rubysmama !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad there's a few of us that read the epilogue-less version. For a bit I was feeling like it was only me who got cheated out of more story. :lol:

As for choosing "Rebecca" to read, credit goes to Mia6 Mia6 for initially recommending it, way back when we first started the book club. It took a while to get to it, but I'm happy so many of us read, and enjoyed, it. :)

Feel free to keep adding comments / discussing the book, but as January is almost over, just wanted to remind everyone about our February 2021 book of the month club book - Then She Was Gone

And a here's a teaser for our March book, which will be announced in early February. It's a non-fiction, heart-warming book first published in 2008. With over 2900 5-star ratings on Goodreads, we're hoping it will be as well liked by all of us.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe we've been reading different versions of the book, maybe we've been confused by seeing the different films but in my book,
No, same book. And nothing suggested to me that they were trying to save the dogs, except that the book states that Mrs. Danvers drove away, so she wasn't in the house, and saving the dogs would be something that I would do.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And a here's a teaser for our March book, which will be announced in early February. It's a non-fiction, heart-warming book first published in 2008. With over 2900 5-star ratings on Goodreads, we're hoping it will be as well liked by all of us.
Well, now you've got me guessing. I've had a quick look through the list and I've only read one of the non-fiction books published in 2008. I'm fairly certain it won't be the one you've chosen so I'm getting all excited about your choice.
I finished "Then She Was Gone" but it hasn't left me with much to think about. Rebecca is still very much on my mind!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, thank-you Mia6 Mia6 Mia6 Mia6 ! Good choice!
I just got the DVD from the library. There is a documentary made in 2016 called Rebecca.
Loretta Young was tested for no name as well as other actresses. The DVD has a a lot of info
about it. I think it's a cult classic, ha!!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, now you've got me guessing. I've had a quick look through the list and I've only read one of the non-fiction books published in 2008. I'm fairly certain it won't be the one you've chosen so I'm getting all excited about your choice.
I finished "Then She Was Gone" but it hasn't left me with much to think about. Rebecca is still very much on my mind!
Which book did you read?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just looked at the publication date for the book again, and it appears that it was released in different years in different countries. So it might not have been on the list you looked through.

Make sure you do a refresher on "Then She Was Gone" before the February discussion starts. :)