January 2021 book of the month club

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have it on hold at a couple libraries, so hopefully it will be available in time. I didn't think it would be unavailable.
Oh, I hope you get it in time. Hard to believe a book written in 1938 is still in such demand in 2021.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm about 2/3 of the way through now. I clearly remember watching the 1940 version of the movie, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, on television with my mother as a young girl. Most of it, of course, went over my head! There was a 2020 remake. I may have to get both versions, and compare the two!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not too far into it yet. Since I actually bought it, I'm reading it slowly so I get the most value for my money.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Well good news, I got an email today that the book is ready for pickup! I'll pick it up tomorrow. The hold originally said 4 weeks wait time, yay!
Another book club I'm in is currently reading "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea", so I'll have two going at once. Glad they are different enough to keep them straight!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How far along do we have to have read, Mia6 Mia6 in order to not be spoiled by your spoiler?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How far along do we have to have read, Mia6 Mia6 in order to not be spoiled by your spoiler?
About 15 pages, I think. Not long at all. By the end of the second chapter, for sure!

Glad they are different enough to keep them straight!
Well...there is that ONE PART... :crackup: Don't worry, you'll get it when you get to it...and yes, I have a weird sense of humor!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finally know who Danvers is. LOL. But didn't notice the name till chapter 7 when Maxim and do-we-even-know-the-narrator's-name came home to Manderley after their marriage. If there was a reference to Danvers earlier in the book, I totally missed it. And, yeah, don't think she's going to be kind or helpful to the new bride.

I'm partway through chapter 7. I'm enjoying the book, but it certainly isn't a fast read for me. Hopefully I will finish it in time for the discussion. Yesterday my Kindle told me I had 13 hours of reading left, so I guess I better get a move on. :lol:

How's everyone else doing?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I started it two days ago and I'm bored...very bored. I keep finding myself skimming paragraphs and I'm hoping it picks up.
I'm not actually bored, but it's not a page turner either. Also hoping it picks up as it goes along.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've finished it. It wasn't a fast read. The pace is slow, but it builds some deep, secret unease. I got the annotated version, with a long author's note, and the unpublished epilogue, which I enjoyed.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm up to chapter 9 now, and it's gotten more interesting. Not quite a page turner yet, but not as boring as the first few chapters. So Lola3791 Lola3791 hang in there, and keep skipping paragraphs if you need to, just to reach chapter 7 where

they finally arrive at Manderley