Jackie hates the other neighborhood cat but loves the cats at my mom’s house

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I’m becoming friends with one of the ladies in my apartment complex (she is a cat lover/owner to.) About a week ago I saw a cat outside my sliding hlSs door screen, about 5 feet from my door that Jackie was all riled up about/growling. I had to put him in the bedroom to be able to go outside to try to catch the kitty (coyotes in my area, it is not safe to be a stray kitty!!!) With treats I kinda shooed her home to her patio, knocked and found out she darted out the door. So today after his outside time of 90 minutes I gave him a quick walk. I saw Dora was out there, tied to a tree (with a bowl of water) to get her outside time. I let them see each other but made sure there was 3-4 feet between the cats if both went to the edge of their leashes. I was hoping he would be more calm on more of her territory so he wouldn’t feel threatened. She was completely calm but he was starting to, hunt her, growling & hissing. She responded with a few hisses but she was still calm. I picked him up and carried his growling punkness away.

Is this something I need to work on with him? He isn’t cat aggressive to the cats in my mom’s home but he has known them since he was a wee kitten of 4 weeks (well 2 of them and he is super close to the other two.... especially his brother ... though he does like his sister.) At my place he is the only cat. Still I don’t want him to be cat aggressive. * we go over to my mom’s usually on Friday , spend the night, come aback on Saturday.

If I should work on this, how can I work on it?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Being “cat aggressive” is a natural cat reaction to a strange cat so I don’t think you can do much about it. I think if he was a tiny kitten in an environment where new cats came and went he might be more accepting but even raised that way, he might not.

In any case, nothing wrong about a cat not embracing strange cats. This doesn’t mean that he might not adjust to a new housemate cat. I am a bit concerned though about your neighbors cat being tied outdoors. Seems like she is a sitting duck for dogs and other predators.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's perfectly normal. He has known the cats at your mom's house for a long time, and they've reached an agreement on how to relate with each other. NO cat likes a new cat in their territory. It takes time and getting to know that cat before they are comfortable with it. He will probably get used to her if she is out there frequently. I, also, am concerned with a cat being tied outdoors alone, though, and for the same reasons.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I’m being honest I don’t like the kitty being tied up either. The cat is in the common ‘front yard’ of my apartment building. The kitty’s tied up spot is far away enough from the curb that she can not get within 5 feet of the curb. So if people walk their dog in the ally then the cat is safe. (all dogs/cats must be on leash in my apartment building/yard. I’m not comfortable saying anything to her about it because we are just barely know each other. I will hedge though & ask if dogs ever come near Dora when she is tied up.

My boy 26 foot leash gets hooked to a chair in my patio. The difference I guess is when Jackie is tied up outside my patio door stays open & I’m outside with him or sitting right inside, keeping an eye on him.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that, when your cat is in his home, he knows that he's in his own territory so he will defend it from other cats but, when he's at your parents' house, he knows that he's in the other cats' territory so he won't be as inclined to engage in territorial behavior.

Jackie understands that, when he's home, he is master of all he surveys but, when he goes out visiting he is a guest in another cat's home and he acts accordingly.

I'd say that Jackie is a cat who knows his visiting manners! :biggrin:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BTW: I don't like the idea of tying out a cat, either.

A cat's first line of defense is to run away, hide or climb a tree, etc. A tied-up cat has no means of escape if a predator, a dog or some other animal tries to attack.

Tying out a dog is a different matter because, when attacked, a dog's usual modus operandi is to retaliate in self defense. Most dogs can defend themselves even if they are tied up.

Tying out a cat just makes it a sitting duck.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jackie is outside atm & I’m inside watching him. Because I’m right there (& constantly untangling his 26 foot leash) he can run inside whenever he wants. Plus I’m there going outside whenever someone comes by. When I take him on walks if he gets scared I let go of his leash & let him run back home (he knows the way.)

Since I moved out of my mom’s house (& he along with his brother & sister were fostered in that home) he views it as partly his. He gets along great with his siblings & the other 2 cats ignore the youngins. BFA00AE5-9D03-438E-AC00-091A81D5CFF3.jpeg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
"Because I'm right there" says it all. Cats can be tied out, but only when their humans are right there!