I've had cats for 40 years now and this one just get me

danc60231

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted a beautiful linx point Siamese kitten from the humane society. About 8 months old now. Don't know anything about his background and was very scared when I met him.

We have had him for a few months now and have got him to eat food out of my hand. He absolutely adores our dog and they are inseparable. My other cats like him too, he has tons of energy and they play with him all the time.

We have discovered that food is his kryptonite. He can't resist. We can pet him and pick him up and he purrs and is very loving when he is isolated. He plays and enjoys our company. We have had in our bathroom for a few days so we could get to him and he meows at us, rubs our legs, will sit on my lap. It's just wonderful.

When we let him out into the main house (NEVER goes outside) he just runs from us. He will come up and take food out of my hand, but when I go to pet him he leaves at light speed.

I've had feral cats that wouldn't even eat they were so scared and ended up a lap cat. This one I just can't break through to. Tried everything I can think of , read tlots about it and it's just not working.

Any ideas? I love this little guy and it just hurts me to have him run from us like that.

Max
maxwell.jpeg

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Even though he is still quite young your guy has a history. I am sure that the circumstances that got him to the Humane Society as well as his probably experience there has left him with lasting memories of being picked up or caged against his will. But as a youngster he has lots of time to learn to trust and I think that if you are patient he will eventually accept petting.

One thing to try is sitting or laying on the floor when you play with him. You are much less scary when you are at his level and it may encourage him to get closer to you without fearing he will be grabbed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think when he has the chance to be around the other cats/dog, he is just much more interested in interacting with them - all the fun playing. And, you don't know his background, so he might have been with other cats/animals and loves that aspect.

Does he watch you with your other cats and your dog, especially when you are petting them and giving them attention? I would make sure he sees you loving on the other animals so that he soon learns he can have 'both worlds' at the same time. Since he is so good with you one-on-one, he will eventually be good with you when all his buddies are around too. He is still young, and in time - as all cats do - he will settle in.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When he’s been in the bathroom, he’s probably lonely and wants the companionship. When he’s let out, he sees the opportunity to run and play. He may run from you because he doesn’t want to go back into the bathroom, or just because he wants to be left alone. Not all cats want to be picked up. Mine never liked it, still barely tolerates it. She only started getting on my lap when she was five.

One thing to try is sitting or laying on the floor when you play with him. You are much less scary when you are at his level and it may encourage him to get closer to you without fearing he will be grabbed.
This. Play with him and allow him to come to you.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with all the above. Sitting quietly and talking softly will go a long way. Never force him to be picked up or interacted with, it will undo everything. Those with Siamese backgrounds are usually very vocal, very active, and very stubborn. Definitely let him see you talking to the others and stroking/playing with them it will enforce the idea you can be trusted. They are also very people-oriented, and young enough I really think this will all just take time. we had one like him, and after a year he just one day, out of the blue, jumped up on our laps. He still hates to be picked up, but lays on your lap and loves head rubs. You might try stroking him while he is eating. He has good feelings going then, I have tamed many ferals doing that, although it is still a long drawn out process, they think human touch is dangerous.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a three-year old foster cat who reacted similarly. He came to me directly after castration still smelling like ....well, I can't explain the nauseous stench and his fur was yellow from cigarette smoke. So long as he was isolated in his own room, he was very friendly and enjoyed our company but as soon as we let him out into the rest of the house, his character changed. His eyes would also alter from inquisitive and questioning to (sorry, I can't think of a better word) determined. He would walk deliberately from one room to another and completely ignore us. We knew that he had been kept by Goths in a small, dark apartment with dogs and cats (none of them neutered) and at least one child as social services had asked us to take the animals. He found a new home and did calm down quite quickly - even accepting his sister again, who had also been neutered. I imagine that, having been kept confined in a small area, he was simply confused by the space (and light) and kept walking around trying to fathom it all out. I am sure your kitty, who is considerably younger, will soon get used to his new surroundings and forget whatever caused his present restlessness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danc60231

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I appreciate all your suggestions. We both play with him while sitting on the floor. But if we are in the main part of the house he doesn't like to come near us unless food is involved. It's a different story in the bathroom. He's a love bug there. We never force him to do anything.

I truly wish I knew his history. I can't imagine how anyone would let this beautiful little person grow up without loving on him. I had a stoke last year and my wife works. My world is my fur kids when she is at work. I know I can't expect him to be like our other kitties, he is unique, one of a kind. I just hate the fact that he seems to be terrified of us in the main house.

He sees us love on my other cats all the time. My oldest Siamese lays next to me when I'm sitting and we are inseparable. Our girl kitty comes up on my wife's chest and lays there. Max sees this, but isn't interested.

We had in in the bathroom for the last two days and let him out this morning after a very long loving session. He immediately started running and avoiding us just as before.

I will wait for him, he's too important to me to give up on.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This might be a tangent but... Does he need to wear a bell if he’s a 100% indoor cat?

For an outdoor cat, I agree that it hinders his ability to kill birds and things. It also helps his humans keep track of him by following the sound.

For an outdoor, rescue cat that has been brought indoors, the sound of a bell following him everywhere he goes might be an unnecessary stressor.

The added stress of wearing a bell might be slowing down his acclimation process on other levels.

What do you think?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Since he does fine with your other pets, I would quit keeping him in the bathroom and let him have the run of the place. While both you and he may miss the bathroom connection time, it might encourage him to come to you in the open spaces. Also, cats do a lot of their exploring at night and while you are sleeping he may be able to creep around and check out the areas he feels fearful in.