I've gone squirrly.

newfosterparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've been on this job site for 3 weeks now, and a nest of baby squirrels was discovered in the roof last week.

It was moved and the mother took 2 of 3 of them and found a place to raise them.

Yesterday, I walked into the shed to get some water, and found a baby trying to climb up the gas can.

I wanted to get him off of there, but as soon as I put my hand down, he grabbed on and started climbing up my arm.

He'd been abandoned for about a week by the looks of it, and starving, dehydrated and needing comfort.

I gave him water, he nibbled a little on a piece of bread, and all but hunkered down inside my shirt once he found a way in there.

I couldn't work with him in there, so I took a large bucket, put winter mittens in it and placed him inside.

He's so clingy that the refused to let go of me.

Several times he called out, but his mother is gone, since we're not done on the job site yet, she was not going to come back for him.

Sooo,

I took him home. He's in an aquarium with food and water, and I've been feeding him KMR, which he greedily drinks, too quickly for his own good.

I'm going to keep him, wean him and then let him out in my yard.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Awww! Squirrels make very good pets. My dad brought home a blind one that had been hit by a car when I was a kid, and Charlie lived with us for years and years. A kitchen window was left open for him so he could go in and out at will, but most of the time he stayed inside.

After that experience, my parents always seemed to have tamed squirrels around their homes that would cuddle and eat out of your hand. Some of them would come "knock" at the door when they wanted to be fed or come in and raid the dogs' bowls. I don't think my folks were ever without a huge bag of peanuts for them.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, that is so sweet. I love squirrels and can't resist a baby!! Can we see pictures?? Good Luck with your new addition.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newfosterparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will post one in the photo section. He's sleeping right now, content I hope.

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you already know the info I am about to give you, please disregard. I work at a clinic with a wildlife license and we have a bunch of squirrels. My experience has been that people don't expect the work it takes.

When he gets about 5-6 weeks old, you have th change the formula. There is a formula called Zoology matrix or multi-milk. The mix is 1 part zoology, 2 parts esbilac, and 4 parts water. Feed him 1 ml per week of age (I.e. 6 ml for a 6 week old). Feed him warm formula every 4 hours and make sure he's warm as feeding a cold squirrel is uselessness he won't be able to use the nutrients. Using water bottles filled hot water works well as long as you replacr the hot water every 4 hours. At this point his eyes should be open. You can start giving him cheeriosnto teach.him how to chew. Also, you can give him peanuts with the shell to teach chewing. As he starts chewing food, you can add fruit and veggies. They like Apple, banana, honeydew but most fruits are good. Veggies like carrots, broccoli, are good. Don't feed too many peanuts, maybe 2-3 a week as these are fattening.

At the clinic, we make squirrel nutballs and give them once they are chewing. Squirrels have specific nutrient requirements including a specific calcium:phosphorus ratio. These nutballs have all the nutrients they need. They contain means, sesame seeds, vitamin e, vitamin c, lecithin, banana, oil, baby rice cereal, and dolomite powder. I am sure I'm forgetting some ingredients but it is important that you use.dolomite powder as it has the correct calcium to phosphorus ratio. Google 'squirrel nutballs' and you will find a good recipe. These are very important or the squirrel may die. If you notice him not eating, take him to a wildlife centre or if possible, release him. At this age, you should still be feeding him formula until 12 weeks I believe.v Give him 1nutball a day along with the fruit and veggies. And be careful, they bite hard!!

Good luck with the little guy. They are cute. However, so remember releasing 5 of them and one climbed up my leg and another wouldn't leave the cage! Someone also complained.that they were chasing people who looked like me. So try not to have too much contact with him. He still needs to be wild! You will also know when to release once he starts to get aggressive.

Again, disregard my message if you already know the information. Good luck with the little guy!

lmj1954

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lucky squirrel that you happened along, there are many people in this world that could care less about animals, and of course us here that do!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also had a group of orphans. I contacted a Wildlife Rehab person in our area. You could get names from the local SPCA or vets office.

I put them in a very large cage with branches and leaves per her instructions. They had little soft fabric "hammocks" that we rigged up and dark areas such as boxes to curl up in to mimmick a hole in a tree. I just can't remember what she said to feed them tho. But I know I had to keep replacing the branches....they ate the leaves.

After a few weeks, we took the cage back to the edge of the woods and opened it up. The rehab gal told me when to let them go. Said to leave the cage open for a few days, because they would come back at night to sleep. Well, they didn't come back. The lure of the trees and freedom was more interesting to them. That winter, I noticed many more of them at the feeders.

If you have a rehab person in your area, they are invaluable for information. I couldn't have done it without her help.

You have a great heart to help this poor little one. But don't hesitate to get some professional help for him.