I've Found A Sick Cat - What Would You Do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I respect your mental health concerns and can support you not keeping her. Is there any neighbour or friend or relative that could keep her, if you supply the food etc. Sometimes you need to take care of yourself to take care of others.
I would be very lucky if somewhere so close to me would be willing to take her home.
Yes, if I broke down after a new loss, I could be not helpful to other cats in need.
After the death of my cat last August, I felt like I didn't even feed my colony, I felt void and useless.
It took me a while to be able to react. A few days after her death, I found several kittens over a few weeks but I remember I was quite unable to do what I know I could have done better. For instance I had to give a newborn kitten to the vet who in turn passed her over to another person who did something wrong and the kitten died a few hours later. If I were in a different mental situation, I would have kept the kitten and she might have survived. It was my fault because I didn't feel ready for such an important task. I feel guilty.
I don't want anything like that to happen again, I want my mind to be ready for an emergency.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps you were meant to find her so that you could take her to the vet and they could ease her crossing. Doing what you have done for her is a blessing. Allowing the vets to help her cross is the greatest gift you could give her. Ending her pain is a far greater gift than stretching it out while offering her a few pleasures, she may not be able to enjoy. That is not wrong, that is right.

Sometimes the kindest thing is to help another cross over, not give them every possible minute on this side. I would not say this to you if I had not walked this path.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mean... I don’t know Italian but I could try and post/spread the word around your city (even country) via online if you would like help :),

Would just need a picture.

Lots of times there’s stories of people adopting from far away.
Tomorrow I will be at the vet's and talk to them and try to get a better picture :)
With more info available, anybody would be able to decide what to do for her.
Thanks!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would be very lucky if somewhere so close to me would be willing to take her home.
Yes, if I broke down after a new loss, I could be not helpful to other cats in need.
After the death of my cat last August, I felt like I didn't even feed my colony, I felt void and useless.
It took me a while to be able to react. A few days after her death, I found several kittens over a few weeks but I remember I was quite unable to do what I know I could have done better. For instance I had to give a newborn kitten to the vet who in turn passed her over to another person who did something wrong and the kitten died a few hours later. If I were in a different mental situation, I would have kept the kitten and she might have survived. It was my fault because I didn't feel ready for such an important task. I feel guilty.
I don't want anything like that to happen again, I want my mind to be ready for an emergency.
No. That was NOT your fault. That kitten may have passed no matter what. There's no way of knowing. You did the best you could under the circumstances. You do so much for so many. Maybe one of the vet techs at the office can take care of this girl until the vet knows for sure what's wrong. Be kind to yourself. None of the cats who love you would ever want to see you suffer. :hugs:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And neither does the kitten you found who slipped away in the foster's care. That kitten knows you did the best you could for her and loves you for it. She is waiting on the other side to greet this new cat when she's ready to join her. The other side has infinite patience, understanding, and love. You can't escape it.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Neonatal kittens are prone to fading kitten syndrome (FKS). Meaning there’s 100 things out to get them, no immune system, internal birth defects and such. You could have watched her 24/7 and it could have still have happened...

Don’t blame yourself please.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your lovely words of appreciation!

I had discussed it with my wife last night, when I went back home and told her what had happened.
As I wrote above, I'm still grieving for the loss of my cats... Lola will be 2 years at the end of March, Pallina was 6 months a few days ago. The pain for their loss is still unbearable, and a few times a day I find myself crying over them.
I would have kept this new unlucky kitty, but my wife is terribly concerned about me, because I'm still living in a dark tunnel, and she fears that a new pain, so soon, and to a disease that would remind me too much the one my Lola had (she died to an oral carcinoma), would send me downhill and beyond recovery for good...

If I know myself well, I would devote myself deeply for this lovely kitty and this involvement would turn itself into a deep pain when she leaves me.

She needs someone who has experience in dealing with such a pain, or someone who a has lovely but strong heart, and this isn't me, unfortunately... I was already crying last night at the vet when the doctor expressed her doubts.
I'm too fragile at the moment :(
I understand. I do not know the extent of your grief with the passing of your beloved Lola/Pallina but I do feel that it really is deep and overwhelms you.

You are doing everything you can for this cat and I know for sure that you will not allow that poor baby to not have the very best final days of her life.

Be strong. You have such a wonderful and caring heart. The world needs more people like you.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand. I do not know the extent of your grief with the passing of your beloved Lola/Pallina but I do feel that it really is deep and overwhelms you.
The extent of my grief seems limitless at the moment.
It's enough for me to write, pronounce or read their names to start crying. Some tears came down my eyes when I read their names in your post, but please do not feel guilty for that, it's not your fault.

My problem is that I have a strong memory and I have the weird ability to link anything to anything else.
Every smell, scent, sound, word, voice, song, the simple sight of something, or an action I do or that someone does, might trigger a memory in my brain.
It's even too easy for me to remind one of the many days with them, or something we did together on a particular day, and I instantly fall in my deep sadness again. There are moments when I feel I am totally out the reality that surrounds me, moments when I live in a different time and space and might even not know what is going on around me.

This morning, for instance, I was driving along a stretch of road that was the one I would travel on when Pallina was at the last clinic before her death.
I think you can imagine how the world around me morphed in that moment and where my mind was... :sniffle:

Back to the cat I found two days ago, I don't have any news yet from the vet. I sent her a message three hours ago, but haven't got a reply yet.