I've Found A Sick Cat - What Would You Do?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So yesterday I was driving back from a vet's practice in a town 6 miles aways from me. I had retrieved a kitten of my colony after the spaying and was driving back to the colony to release her in her environment.

It was 5 pm, a bit of traffic on this non urban road. I saw the two cars ahead of me swaying a bit to the left, and I saw a cat on the side of my lane, in the spot indicated by the arrow in this photo
SP142_r.jpg

Tha cat was crouched on the road, not moving, head down to the tarmac. I pulled over on the grass, the car behind me stopped a few meters back and switched its hazard lights on to warn other oncoming cars. I have to say that all drivers proved to be absolutely polite and sensible. None honked their horns for the whole 3 following minutes.
I got down my car, approached the cat, I saw it was quiet and friendly, picked it up and put into a carrier that I always have in my trunk/boot, and drove to the vet.

I was rather sure that cat had been hit by a car and was staying there because it was dazed by the incident. The vet checked the cat, it was an adult female, at least 10 years old. Her left eye was swollen and red. She had a bad cold and a troubled breathing. She was extremely skinny and dehydrated, and was keeping her head tilted to the left. After checking she had no other damages, the vet had a thorough look at the swollen eye and said that it was very likely that the poor cat has a tumor behind her left eye.
Apart from this the cat was healthy, extremely lovely and affectionate, she was giving head butts and kisses on my nose, she was purring like crazy. The vet gave her some wet food and she wolfed it down in a few seconds, then started purring and head butting again.

Today the vet will run a few tests, mainly an X-ray to chest and head, then she will do a citology of the tissue around her eye and inside her mouth (the vet saw something like a mass at the end of the jaw) and a blood test.
Yesterday the vet gave the cat a shot of Convenia, in the remote chance it wasn't a tumor but only a massive abscess, though the cat was checked by three different vets at the practice, and all agreed with the worst scenario :(

The vet agreed to hold the cat at the practice for two or three days, asking me to find a foster home for the cat, because she has few weeks to live. We're looking for what we, over here, call it an "informed adoption", in other words the family who adopts the kitty is being informed and aware that the cat will have a short and troubled life, they must be prepared to say good-bye to the cat soon. This requires a strong heart!

She can't be released where I found her, nor can I take her home because I am still through a heavy grieving process after losing my cats (the last one 6 months ago) and I don't think I could cope with another loss so soon.

The only other option, should nobody step forward to adopt her, will be putting her to sleep, and this is killing me, because the cat is still full of life and love :bawling::bawling::bawling:
I have a photo of her, but she's in a poor condition, I wouldn't like to shock anyone.

So, after this wall of text, what would you do if you were in my shoes?
Thanks a million!

P.S.: I didn't see any house around where I found the cat. The building you see in the photo is some kind of barn.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for all of your care and love for this precious kitty. First wait to see what the vet says. Maybe it's not life threatening. She may just need a home with love.

Call around to some rescue groups and see what they can do to help. Ask your vet for ideas too. Maybe one of the vet techs would take her.

Sending good thoughts your way. I am hoping for the best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'm waiting for the results of all tests and scans.
And I've also spread the voice with a rescue group, I called another person who is very active, and the vet has called another rescue group.

My question was, what would you do if you had such a situation in your hands? Would you put a cat to sleep (a cat who might have a few weeks of life ahead) only because nobody is taking her home and the vet can't keep her indefinitely?

Why do all these strange and sad cases end up in my hands? :(

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it were me, I would keep her. I would make her last few weeks as comfortable and full of love as possible. I would only put her to sleep if I felt she were in pain and soon would be. The vet should be able to give you guidance in this situation. I would do the kindest and most humane thing possible for her.

These things happen because you are a very caring person. Energy comes your way when something or someone needs help. I know it is hard. I have the same issue. Yet, you are helping this one person or one animal.

My thoughts are with you. Please do update.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with shadowsrescue shadowsrescue . Since you asked if it were also me I would keep her, even if the end could be quite grim or even devastating. I would try to provide the senior cat with the happiest last memories she could ever have, even if it could be emotionally hard for me. I could deal with my grief later, but this cat, for now, needs the loving home she very well deserves.

I thank you for helping her and went far and beyond for her. You are her hero. I admire people like you. Bless your heart.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your lovely words of appreciation!

If it were me, I would keep her. I would make her last few weeks as comfortable and full of love as possible.
if it were also me I would keep her, even if the end could be quite grim or even devastating. I would try to provide the senior cat with the happiest last memories she could ever have, even if it could be emotionally hard for me.
I had discussed it with my wife last night, when I went back home and told her what had happened.
As I wrote above, I'm still grieving for the loss of my cats... Lola will be 2 years at the end of March, Pallina was 6 months a few days ago. The pain for their loss is still unbearable, and a few times a day I find myself crying over them.
I would have kept this new unlucky kitty, but my wife is terribly concerned about me, because I'm still living in a dark tunnel, and she fears that a new pain, so soon, and to a disease that would remind me too much the one my Lola had (she died to an oral carcinoma), would send me downhill and beyond recovery for good...

If I know myself well, I would devote myself deeply for this lovely kitty and this involvement would turn itself into a deep pain when she leaves me.

She needs someone who has experience in dealing with such a pain, or someone who a has lovely but strong heart, and this isn't me, unfortunately... I was already crying last night at the vet when the doctor expressed her doubts.
I'm too fragile at the moment :(

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
You have been following my story for a while, and know I am in just as much pain/darkness as you.

As much as it would pain me, I myself would still take in the kitty cat. Whether it would cause me more pain/darkness, I cannot just sit by and not give them the best ending they can get. You had mentioned they were even affectionate with you and headbutting. Why not return the favour and give them some memories they can remember in this world while they are here and in the next. You can make Pallina/Lola proud when they welcome in this new kitty cat and hear stories of a random person stopping on the side of the road and showing love to them in their time of need. A lot of people believe in karma, do good here and be rewarded later in life. You might have a whole kingdom of kitties waiting for you when it's your time.

If you're spiritual, you could see this as a calling/sign, perhaps since you went through so much with Pallina/Lola you have the knowledge to take care of a cat end-of-life that others might not.

From our conversations, I would place my trust in you for taking care of any kitty cat you come across.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have been following my story for a while, and know I am in just as much pain/darkness as you.

As much as it would pain me, I myself would still take in the kitty cat. Whether it would cause me more pain/darkness, I cannot just sit by and not give them the best ending they can get. You had mentioned they were even affectionate with you and headbutting. Why not return the favour and give them some memories they can remember in this world while they are here and in the next. You can make Pallina/Lola proud when they welcome in this new kitty cat and hear stories of a random person stopping on the side of the road and showing love to them in their time of need. A lot of people believe in karma, do good here and be rewarded later in life. You might have a whole kingdom of kitties waiting for you when it's your time.

If you're spiritual, you could see this as a calling/sign, perhaps since you went through so much with Pallina/Lola you have the knowledge to take care of a cat end-of-life that others might not.

From our conversations, I would place my trust in you for taking care of any kitty cat you come across.
I agree. Pallina and Lola may have guided you to this little girl. They knew that if anyone could help her it was you. I also agree that when it's time for you to cross the bridge, you will get a large and very enthusiastic welcome. :hugs:

LifeWithOliver

AM348
Young Cat
Purraise
I would adopt this cat even knowing that she has only a few days to live. I would give her love, care and safety and any medical care needed. I have many times rescued cats that were in their last stage but I never regretted rescuing them. I cry my heart out when they die but I always feel that I did my best to help.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you really let this little girl go? I feel like you wouldn't be able to. You are a caring and special person. That's why these difficult cases are sent your way. That's what I think but whatever choice you make I'll be in agreement.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know how you are grieving for your beloved cats so I appreciate how hard this situation is for you. If someone cant be found to care for this poor cat, would your vet consider providing the home within the practice she needs should it be for a short time. There would be plenty of staff to give her love and attention and the best of care.They are in a caring profession so its worth asking. If you took her home you would be providing the food needed, so if you gave the food needed to the vet just maybe it would work?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you really let this little girl go? I feel like you wouldn't be able to. You are a caring and special person. That's why these difficult cases are sent your way. That's what I think but whatever choice you make I'll be in agreement.
No, I couldn't let her go without fighting till the end. I never give up when it comes to animals. But she won't come home with me.
We are looking for a home, we are desperately looking for a home for her. She deserves it!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
would your vet consider providing the home within the practice she needs should it be for a short time. There would be plenty of staff to give her love and attention and the best of care.They are in a caring profession so its worth asking. If you took her home you would be providing the food needed, so if you gave the food needed to the vet just maybe it would work?
Yesterday the vet clearly stated that they will keep her for two days. I could ask them to extend this time by a few days more, but they don't have enough room for a cat around them.
Furthermore, the boss of the place doesn't like ferals much, and this is weird for a person of that profession. But we already argued about this in the past. I keep going there because it is very close to home and because one of the vets working there has a great heart and a strong passion for cases like this one (and this is the vet who checked the cat yesterday).
Also, this is the practice that the town council has a contract with to spay and neuter the cats from registered feline colonies on their expense, so I just need to trap the cats, take them at the practice and release them. The town council will pay the vet bill.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she's a stray, not a feral. She was too sweet, too trusting. too relieved to be rescued to be a feral.

We'd keep her, it's what we do. That's how I ended up with a 76 lb dog.

Think carefully, will you regret not taking her in, not giving her those last few weeks if you don't?

dragonlady2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I respect your mental health concerns and can support you not keeping her. Is there any neighbour or friend or relative that could keep her, if you supply the food etc. Sometimes you need to take care of yourself to take care of others.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she's a stray, not a feral. She was too sweet, too trusting. too relieved to be rescued to be a feral.

We'd keep her, it's what we do. That's how I ended up with a 76 lb dog.

Think carefully, will you regret not taking her in, not giving her those last few weeks if you don't?
Yes, I might have been using a wrong term somewhere?

I'm sure she deserves a wonderful home for her last weeks, that's why I am working hard to find her a family.
We have discussed about it again tonight, but again my wife is concerned about me and my mental health. She said she fears I could break down for good.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I might have been using a wrong term somewhere?

I'm sure she deserves a wonderful home for her last weeks, that's why I am working hard to find her a family.
We have discussed about it again tonight, but again my wife is concerned about me and my mental health. She said she fears I could break down for good.
I mean... I don’t know Italian but I could try and post/spread the word around your city (even country) via online if you would like help :),

Would just need a picture.

Lots of times there’s stories of people adopting from far away.