I've Created A Monster (Fountain Help Needed)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Luna has discovered the joys of drinking directly out of our bathroom faucet.

Prior to this, we used a Catit water fountain but eventually found it got dirty too fast plus the unit was not entirely of stainless steel so couldn't put it in the dishwasher.

At the recommendations of many cat people, I purchased the Drinkwell 360 but this one is so hard to take apart/put back together and it's gigantic which I don't want sitting on my kitchen floor to trip over. I'm returning it.

In the interim Luna has now become utterly obsessed with the bathroom faucet to the point where she's spending hours hanging out on the counter, waiting for us to turn it on. This is a huge problem as it's the main bathroom in the house and on the 2nd level. Constantly climbing the stairs all day to accommodate her is just ridiculous let alone, I'm working from home and too busy to even remember she may be up there.

Plus I dislike her spending so much time up there. I mean, I even find her sleeping on the counter if I go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. How is that comfortable?

Can't just shut the door to keep her out because the litterboxes live in that room.

This morning she shunned breakfast and headed right back up to the bathroom I went to get her, put her on the floor and she ran off in another room instead of coming downstairs to eat her food. FYI - weekends I get up later so she certainly has to be needing to eat by now.

A few things:

a) She is 1-1/2 and has no underlying disease. She recently had her wellness exam and all was normal.
b) Can't move the litter boxes elsewhere to restrict access to the bathroom. We have nowhere else in our home where we can squeeze them in.
c) She still drinks out of the stainless steel dish downstairs at times. It's whisker stressless. She gets a clean bowl daily and the water is changed in that bowl several times a day to keep the water clean as possible.
d) Thankfully she's never attempted to do this in the kitchen sink!
e) We have another small bathroom downstairs but the sink is a pedestal type and there's nowhere for her to platform so she never asks for water there.

Potential Life Stressor:

a) She's currently eating more kibble than she normally would. I limit it in general and she's always preferred wet food over it thankfully. However, we are doing a limited ingredient diet to help rule out a food allergy before moving on to more invasive procedures. Many of her favorite foods have been removed from her diet. No poultry at all. No dairy, which she adores and was a good small treat for her. Slowly changing her kibble to a limited type protein (rabbit).

b) I'm aware kibble can cause more thirst which is understandable. I was prepared for that to happen but expected she'd be drinking more from bowls, not a tap!

Any tips and stopping her from doing this? I just placed a bunch of stuff all along the sink so visually there's no room for her to jump and platform to the area.

I know cats prefer running water and found out tap water is their favorite even over purified running water so this makes sense but it's just utterly inconvenient to constantly have to turn the water on for her so many times a day. My knees can't take that much climbing LOL

Suggestions for a fountain that is NOT by Catit or Drinkwell? Would like the water to flow like a faucet since this is her preference.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the Pioneer Pet Swan cat fountain. It looks and acts like a faucet pretty much. Very easy to take apart and put back together. Filter is easily replaceable too.

*this was day 1 of having it so that is why there is a bowl of water beside it.
20201219_121519.jpg
20201219_121633.jpg

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the Pioneer Pet Swan cat fountain. It looks and acts like a faucet pretty much. Very easy to take apart and put back together. Filter is easily replaceable too.

*this was day 1 of having it so that is why there is a bowl of water beside it.
View attachment 367548View attachment 367549

That looks like a great alternative to a faucet! If that was put on the bathroom counter, would your cat use it? If she would, you might be able to slowly move it to a better location.

We use the pioneer raindrop stainless steel fountain. Although the opening is a bit small for their heads. Its been problem free for a couple of years at least. Also easy to clean....but pricey. I think the swan fountain pictured above would be ideal for your cat.

I would be concerned your cat might have diabetes. Our cat motu suddenly started drinking excessively from the bathroom tap, and she was diagnosed with diabetes.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That looks like a great alternative to a faucet! If that was put on the bathroom counter, would your cat use it? If she would, you might be able to slowly move it to a better location.

I would be concerned she might have diabetes. Our cat motu suddenly started drinking excessively from the bathroom tap, and she was diagnosed with diabetes.
Thanks but she's healthy!

As I wrote she recently had lab work done and all is fine.

Plus we had a cat with diabetes and know all too well the signs.

This started when we allowed her to drink from the faucet a few weeks ago and now it's become habitual because we heard Maine Coons like to play in water (she's purebred). She thinks it's her own private watering hole now though. Sometimes she just wants us to turn on the water and doesn't even drink - she likes watching the water go down the drain!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
klunick klunick Is that heavy? Is it easy to bring to the sink and dump the water?
It's very attractive and has the exact type of "faucet" that I'm looking for.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks but she's healthy!

As I wrote she recently had lab work done and all is fine.

Plus we had a cat with diabetes and know all too well the signs.

This started when we allowed her to drink from the faucet a few weeks ago and now it's become habitual because we heard Maine Coons like to play in water (she's purebred). She thinks it's her own private watering hole now though. Sometimes she just wants us to turn on the water and doesn't even drink - she likes watching the water go down the drain!
Sound's like you will need that faucet asap....or maybe just build a second bathroom on each floor. ?.lol

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
klunick klunick Is that heavy? Is it easy to bring to the sink and dump the water?
It's very attractive and has the exact type of "faucet" that I'm looking for.
No, not heavy. Made of plastic but not cheap thin plastic. Very easy to move around. You need to really rinse the filter before installing it to get the residue off or it will fluff off into the bowl part over time. Completely harmless though if it does. I change the filter once a month when I give Boone and Gracie their monthly flea meds. Just an easy reminder to change the filter.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
klunick klunick This sounds pretty good to me.

I always rinse off filters first so that's not an issue for me.

I liked the CatIt Flower version, our boy loved using it but we had discarded it when Luna came to us because it was old and worn by that point.

I tried the Catit version with the stainless steel top and it wasn't being used at all so I went to using stainless bowls made to prevent whisker stress. Plus it never worked as well as the Flower version. Luna does seem to have a preference for water that flows downward, not, bubbles upward. Our other cat well, I don't think I ever saw her try to use that one at all. I seem to remember her using the Flower one though and she has used the regular bowl sometimes.

My husband also seems to think Luna prefers drinking high up, which may be part of this. Or maybe it's because the bathroom sink is a source far from her food which I've read is preferable to some cats.

Going to read up the reviews on the Swan and compare it to the Catit Flower for reliability and ease of use and cleaning. I used to find I could get away with thoroughly cleaning it every few weeks but noticed that with Luna, it needed more. She has a terrible habit arranging herself while eating so that her tail was dipping into the fountain! The water wasn't even that close to the food bowls but she is a long long cat LOL

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Before I got a fountian I put the equivalent of a giant mug on the counter next to the sink. Every time I went to the bathroom, dumped out the old water & put new water in it.
Unfortunately, Luna is a pro at knocking stuff over. We tried that once and that was the end of that LOL

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So after reading lots of reviews, I ordered the Catit Flower fountain again.

We had good luck with it before Luna, it does have the type of flow she prefers and it's compact which was a necessity. I really love the appearance of the Swan but am concerned about her playing with the water since it's all exposed.

I also have 10 filters from the other Catit which I threw out and that was a consideration too as they are pricey.

We'll see how this goes. Hoping it gets her interest and pulls her away from the bathroom obsession.

mittens23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So after reading lots of reviews, I ordered the Catit Flower fountain again.

We had good luck with it before Luna, it does have the type of flow she prefers and it's compact which was a necessity. I really love the appearance of the Swan but am concerned about her playing with the water since it's all exposed.

I also have 10 filters from the other Catit which I threw out and that was a consideration too as they are pricey.

We'll see how this goes. Hoping it gets her interest and pulls her away from the bathroom obsession.
Xena is also obsessed from drinking from the bathroom faucet even though we have fresh e trying will in a bowl for her. She will occasionally drink from her bowl but her preference is the bathroom sink. I dont mind as long ad she drinks water. She is on kibbles and eet food. She prefers kibbles. Hopefully what you are trying will work for you. I would not want to go up and down the stairs either

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Xena is also obsessed from drinking from the bathroom faucet even though we have fresh e trying will in a bowl for her. She will occasionally drink from her bowl but her preference is the bathroom sink. I dont mind as long ad she drinks water. She is on kibbles and eet food. She prefers kibbles. Hopefully what you are trying will work for you. I would not want to go up and down the stairs either
I don't mind either, she's the first cat we've had that actually enjoys water. Always has. My problem it's inconvenient to indulge her all day long. I also don't like her being that anti-social and spending hours in there.

Yesterday I blocked her access to hanging on the counter (easy since it's small). She clearly was confused by this. Once I went upstairs to bed, I allowed her to drink out of that faucet. I actually timed how long she's drinking - 2 minutes which seems kind of long to me but I bet she isn't getting a lot in one lick since it's an awkward way to be drinking.

Today, thankfully, she has been downstairs since early this morning playing and is now basking in a sun puddle. It's freezing where I am - I'd like to bask with her but she's not having it LOL

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I do have various cat fountains, all still Drinkwell brands, but they are working for my cats. As for the 360...good call to return it. Those plastic holders became harder and harder to put on and finally all snapped. I hope that your cat likes the ones that you got.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat, Casper, likes to drink from the bathtub faucet.

It's one of his three favorite drinking spots in the house. There's the bathtub, a watering can on the shelf under the plant stand in the living room and a fishbowl on the table next to the window of the breakfast nook. He rotates between his three watering holes on a regular basis.

The bathroom faucet has a slow drip. I was planning to fix it but, since Casper likes to drink from the faucet, I just let it go.
We always know when he's been in the bathtub because his head is all wet. ;)

I don't know... Can you leave the faucet drip so that your cat can drink and play with the water?

When I was a kid, my father bred hunting dogs. We had an adapter that went on a water faucet that the dogs could drink from.
I found something similar at chewy.com:

Do you think that a similar solution might work for you?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do have various cat fountains, all still Drinkwell brands, but they are working for my cats. As for the 360...good call to return it. Those plastic holders became harder and harder to put on and finally all snapped. I hope that your cat likes the ones that you got.
This made me feel much better about returning it. Those clips were the deal breaker.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our cat, Casper, likes to drink from the bathtub faucet.

It's one of his three favorite drinking spots in the house. There's the bathtub, a watering can on the shelf under the plant stand in the living room and a fishbowl on the table next to the window of the breakfast nook. He rotates between his three watering holes on a regular basis.

The bathroom faucet has a slow drip. I was planning to fix it but, since Casper likes to drink from the faucet, I just let it go.
We always know when he's been in the bathtub because his head is all wet. ;)

I don't know... Can you leave the faucet drip so that your cat can drink and play with the water?

When I was a kid, my father bred hunting dogs. We had an adapter that went on a water faucet that the dogs could drink from.
I found something similar at chewy.com:

[/URL]

Do you think that a similar solution might work for you?
Leaving a faucet even dripping will wind up costing me a ton more $. IDK about you, but I pay for the water to my home. And wasteful to.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thus the reason I suggested the faucet adapter. :)

Casper doesn't like drinking fountains because they make noise. We thought that he would like them because he likes the bathtub faucet so much but the sound of the motor puts him off. We tried a fountain but he won't even go near it. We ended up taking it to the thrift store.

Here is an adapter that looks more like the one my father used. It was handy because, if you wanted to fill one of the dogs' water buckets, all you had to do was push back the lever. Then the dogs started figuring out that pushing the lever back with their nose let them drink water, too. Well... I'm sure that Dad showed them, too. ;)

This one is threaded for indoor faucets too. :)

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Update.

I think I managed to "reset" her LOL

We kept gently removing her from the bathroom during the daytime whenever we saw her hanging out there. I also thought, maybe she prefers tap water over filtered water? So I started giving her cold water from the tap in a different sized bowl downstairs and she seemed to prefer that over the filtered water. I even saw our older girl drinking it and I rarely see her drink.

Only allowing her to drink from the faucet when I head to bed at night.

I also stopped leaving as much kibble down so that should help her need for more water and also stop filling up on it and not eating her regular food.

New fountain arrives tomorrow so fingers crossed she takes to it.

I also realized we've had the heat on in our home a bit warmer than we usually do since it's been pretty cold here so maybe she's more thirsty because of that.

Last I stepped up playtime. Figured that would get her brain off the obsession.

So far, so good. She's spending a lot less time in the bathroom and today she gobbled her breakfast and did really nicely at her lunch too.

Made a vet appointment for Thursday just in case there's any underlying health issue which suddenly cropped up. I still think it's a behavioral situation but better safe than sorry. Plus I needed to talk to the vet about other options to deal with her allergies and how to move forward. I gave up trying to do a limited diet since she was not dealing well with those changes at all but there are other options I have (blood testing and/or start her on an anti-histamine such as Zyrtec.