I've Always Wondered About The Size Of Pee...

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, cat pee. Its something that can be a common problem for kitties. Something I have always wondered is how big should a cat's pee be? (I guess if using a clumping litter). I guess there could be a lot of variation, but I'm wondering if there's a range that's considered normal. As far as I know, this is not something I've ever talked about but always wondered. The vet never asks, but maybe I should ask.

For instance, my cat's pee is usually bigger than a golf ball. Is that normal? Does anyone know about this?

(Mods, please feel free to move this to general cat care if its more appropriate there. I wasn't sure!)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think there would be so many variables that come into play that there is probably not a normal size. For example, Feeby used to pee only once a day and the clumps were HUGE - like larger than a softball, in trying to use a comparative to your golf ball. Even, now that she usually pees twice a day, they are still much larger than a golf ball. But, she is a big cat (nearly 18 lbs) and also 14+ yo.

I would imagine that your cat does pee more than once a day, and is probably younger and smaller than my cat. But, the amount of water they drink, the amount of moisture in their food will also play a role in the quantity/size of the pee.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats really vary too, one goes the size of a golf ball, one the size of an egg and one that is the size of a baseball! I have noticed this with all the cats I have had, so I would venture to say the size of a golf ball should be minimum. One of my cats that went the size of a baseball did for 17 years!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As the others have said, it all depends. But I will say that a golf ball size seems like a good normal size IF your kitty is going a couple/few times a day.
I had a cat who's pees were huge (baseball-ish), 3 times a day, but he had CKD.
Another where they were about golf ball size as well but he went 3-4 times a day.
And a third that were also huge but he only went once, sometimes twice a day.

I now have 3 others who's pees vary in sizes, one of them even pees these tiny pees (like half a golf ball?), but that's because he will ALWAYS jump in the box to be the first one to use it after I clean it. Sometimes I'm still smoothing out the litter as he jumps in to squat, definitely not a shy boy! lol! Any other time his pees go from golf ball to egg size.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat's pees can vary, depending on what her daily dose of steroids is. She can pee more often or less often; her pees can be smaller or ping pong ball- sized. If her pees are large, it is because she's had a day of infrequent pees, or else she's been on a higher dose of steroids for a few days. (Note: she's a small-boned cat & probably doesn't have a huge bladder, so larger pees worry me.)

Here is a smaller pee and a medium-sized pee- if larger than this, I worry:
Milly-25JAN2019-CoolClayArt.jpg

(^^ That is her artisitic imitation of the rocks seen at Cannon Beach, OR, from an alternate view. Most artists paint a different perspective. :p )

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I can usually tell whose pee I’m scooping. Lily goes every 24 to 36 hours (how can she hold it that long??), and, of course, it’s huge: the size of a navel orange. She’s 14 and 10.5 lbs. Iris, 14, and Mocha, 4, go 2-3 times a day. They both weigh 9.5 lbs. but Iris’s clumps are smaller than Mocha’s.

I asked the vet about Lily’s habits (she also poops only every 2-3 days), and he said it was okay. I still worry and keep a close eye on them. I raw feed—no dry at all—so they get a lot of moisture in their food. And Lily drinks from her water bowl frequently, too.

I’ve had older cats with kidney issues and diabetes so I track their activity pretty closely.

kmoulus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Speedy makes at least 2 big pees every day, sometime 3 . She takes lasix, which makes her drink a lot and pee a lot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Huh this is so interesting! Lots of variation, kind of what I expected.

Amber (14) usually does a couple larger than golf ball pee's per day and a few smaller ones as well.

:lol: I love your artistic rendition, PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws !

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, that's good. I was afraid that posting photos of pee clumps could be a slippery slope, RE: icky thread content!