It's taken a week for me to be able to write this....

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I lost my cat Mutty on January 30th.

All I can do is write my journal entry from that day but there's much more to the story....I've been utterly devastated. I'm 26 and have had her since I was 8 years old, she is my soulmate and I have been in tears off and on and incapable of leaving the house since this happened.

I knew I wanted to come here for support and to share, but it was just too hard at first...here was my journal entry that day:

So this morning...around 5am, I noticed my cat Mutty was having breathing problems.......

It got worse and I got super scared and ran in and woke up Patrick and we rushed her to the vet down the street who referred us to the emergency vet like a half an hour away.

So we go there, and they put her in an oxygen tank and took x-rays.
We got there around 7 and around 9am, we were given the X-Ray results.

She had tumors all over her lungs and so much fluid in her lungs and around that you couldn't even see her heart.

I had to face the decision to put her to sleep...at first I was begging the vet for another option...he said if we drained the fluid, it would just come back and get worse and she would die an agonizingly painful death.

So around 9:30am this morning, my little baby was brought in, put in my lap and a needle put her to sleep. She died in my arms with me bawling uncontrollably and kissing her head telling her how much I love her.

I had her for 17 years. She was my rock, my *ANGEL*. The one thing that I could always count on and hold onto. I cannot explain how much I love her and always will.

The vet made me paw impressions and we're having her privately cremated so I can have her ashes.

This was completely unexpected. I'm crying again right now.
Please say a little prayer for her.....I pray that there is an afterlife and I will be with her again.
Please someone tell me how to deal with this.....because I have not been dealing well or healthy.

I'm dying inside. I feel so guilty and miss her so much.
If I had discovered her original lump sooner and had it checked and removed...she might still be here. I can't stop blaming myself. The guilt is over-whelming and the pain is non-stop.

My heart is broken.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, 17-18 years old is way above average for a cat, so you obviously took care of her very well.

Secondly, cats are masters at hiding any illness until they are very sick. Don't blame yourself for not noticing; that's how nature made cats, for their own protection in a world of big animals always looking for the weaklings.

Nothing except time will heal your heart. Every cat we lose leaves a hole in our heart exactly the shape of that cat, and no other cat, no other experience, no other love can completely heal that hole.

Check out http://www.petloss.com. They have a candle ceremony weekly, and they care about our aching hearts.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Dani, I am so sorry.... I can hear your pain through your words... I wish there was something I could say to help you through this... Please don't blame yourself - you had her for 17 beautiful years... You did everything for her for all that time... You couldn't possibly have foreseen that tumor...
You know you got our support here

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so very sorry for your loss.
I don't think we ever get over losing one of our pets. We just learn to move forward one day at a time. In time you will be able to remember Mutty and her memory will bring a sweet smile to your face. The ache in your heart won't hurt as bad either.
It just takes time.

RIP Mutty

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
RIP Mutty. Mr. Blanche said it best. She had a wonderful long life with you. I am so sorry you are feeling so much pain.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Please don't blame yourself - you had her for 17 beautiful years... You did everything for her for all that time... You couldn't possibly have foreseen that tumor...
you really are being too hard on yourself! it's wonderful she lived such a long & happy life - i know this won't ease your pain, but please try to stop blaming yourself!
sending
, & for you, & a
for Mutty...

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

you really are being too hard on yourself! it's wonderful she lived such a long & happy life - i know this won't ease your pain, but please try to stop blaming yourself!
sending
, & for you, & a
for Mutty...
I am sorry you lost your Mutty

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to see this
Mutty would not want you to feel guilty, she is at peace and in a beautiful place waiting until you meet again.
Remember this, it brings me comfort-you were chosen for her, how lucky were you
RIP Mutty, look after your Mom until you are reunited someday

wyatturpsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So very sorry for your loss. One of the stages of grieving, especially for an animal, is blame. Well all go through this. Mutty lived a very long time. One thing to think about, getting another cat/kitten. This will not replace Mutty, but you will be showing your love for Mutty by giving a wonderful life to a cat/kitten that might not otherwise have such a wonderful life. It will be celebrating Mutty's life.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. Rest in peace Mutty, you will be forever loved!

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
as others have said, mutty reached an incredible age and your love and care would have had a part in that.

please don't blame yourself, mutty will live on in your heart forever.

RIP little soul.

tachyon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Very sorry for your loss!

Having lost several cats over the years, including one just a few days ago, I only know too well what pain you're going through!

I also tend to blame myself for circumstances leading to the passing of my cats. But, anything I did that may have contributed to cat's passing was entirely unintentional. I never mistreated them and always loved them.

Don't blame yourself for Mutty's passing. You clearly loved him; that says it all!

Actually you are perhaps stronger than I am. I am never present when my cats are put to sleep. I don't want to remember them passing away; I only want to remember them being alive.

Grieving will ease your pain, in time.

You will find that you never entirely get over the loss, but the pain will be far less noticeable.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I`m so sorry for your loss
You really can`t blame yourself though that is a natural part of the greiving process.

Rest In Peace sweetie

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know how you feel, I lost my Soul Kitty Mr Snoopy Gundy on the 28th of February 2 yrs ago, at the age of 20. He was my soul kitty and the best friend I've ever had in my life. I too felt guilty, because I went along with the Doctors recommendation to put him to sleep, although he probably would have died on his own, from Kidney Failure. He was actually dying when I took him in to the Vet. To this day, I still have pangs of guilt for letting him go without a bigger fight.

The pain I felt was the same as you're going through, and I can tell you, it does get better. It really does. That is not to say the Love goes away, it's just to say that it doesn't hurt so badly, and life does go on. You WILL get better, I promise, and I DO believe your Mutty will be waiting for you, when it's your time to cross over the bridge, and join him.

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Three years ago My Tabitha was going through the same thing as Mutty. We opted to take out 1/3 of her lung to give her a chance, she died a week later. To this day I don't know if I did the right or wrong thing and I can't say if I would do it again. Blaming yourself is natural, it is part of grieving but rest assured you did everything you could, and more. Seventeen is amazing you must have done a wonderful job in caring for Mutty. It will hurt but it will get better and healing will come, be good to yourself, you couldn't have changed the course or the outcome. Prayers for you and Mutty

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't beat yourself up on this. Cats are supreme at hiding pain - it's Nature's way to help them elude predators.
Your whole being has suffered a terrible loss, emotionally from the love & support your sweet Mutty gave you, to the physical benefits of contact with your special soul-kitty (even their purrs are in the same sonic range as therapeutic ultra sound).
Just think ,she's young & healthy again, running free on the other side of the Bridge, playing with the angels