It's So Hard To Find A Balance

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The boys were on Nature's Variety raw getting 1 chicken medallion a piece. We move to homemade raw with ground rabbit and chunk turkey, both getting 5 oz each. Well the first batch I made went all out with both 20% skin and all the optional eggs, so I cut that back and went to make a very lean formula instead, once I saw they were gaining weight. Stewart was cut back to 4 oz and Tom was cut back to 4.5 oz. I got them about where they needed to be so I added in a 1/2 oz raw each boy. Stewburger has been getting 4.5 oz and Tommy Gargoyle has been getting 5 oz again. Well this formula is still very lean so when I weighed them today I noticed that Stew has still very slowly been losing weight. He was 12.38 a month or so ago and now he's 12.1, which is ideal so he's going to get bumped up to 5 oz. Tommy, on the other hand, has lost another half lb even still, so he's going up to 5.5 oz. Vet scored him at 13.1 and he's 12.42. He hasn't been acting like he's starving, he's not looking overly chic, he still has tons of energy.
So I get to weigh them in a month again and if Stewy doesn't plateau and Tommy loses even a smidge, I guess the next step would be to add the 20% skin back in, maybe?
How would you go about it? One cat is right where he should be an another cat is 1/2 lb under... would you change the formula or keep playing with the amounts?

It gets stressful. I got them to lose the weight: All of it. It's finding this dance around a maintenance feeding that's making me rethink my parenting. But the boys are great.

Tommy started dieting in Aug 2013 at almost 21 lbs. After three years on prescription not so great ingredients formula which was only allowing him to eat more food of less quality, I pulled him off and started Nature's Variety Healthy Weight and giving him less. The food was more dense but I felt a better quality. We used this brand to lose about the last 1 1/2.

Stewart started dieting around April 2014 on prescription diet food and met his goal within about a year and a half and went onto Nature's Variety Instinct, but the feeding suggestions were wrong and he ended up gaining back a little over a pound. He finished his diet for good on Nature's Variety Healthy Weight.

Tommy was diagnosed with FLUTD December 2016 and quit kibble cold turkey along with Stewart. They started immediately on canned, then commercial raw, then homemade raw and they love it. But it's my job to watch their weight. The ideal body score is very important for Tommy because of his condition, and important to Stewart in managing his asthma.

Will this get easier? Would I be able to find a balance and stick with it or is it always going to be this level of monitoring and tweaking the plan?
17390484_10212086386853152_4585049336587156970_o (1).jpg
14947843_10210753287326497_1021671180877872178_n.jpg

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know I feel your pain, as you have been helping me with advice on Tangent's diet. Sometimes I think that I completely ruined his metabolism by letting him get fat on kibble in the first place, and my punishment is that now I have to tweak his diet and worry over every ounce. :(

When I fed raw from 2008-2013, I put 12 ounces of homemade mix on a community plate and all three cats ate. No muss, no fuss. Healthy cats. They were all in great shape until Cosine woke up one morning and refused to eat raw anymore. They were younger cats then, except Einstein was 15 (lived to be almost 20 on raw), and none of them was overweight when I started on raw. We went downhill when I started feeding kibble again: Cosine got too thin and Tangent blew up like a balloon.

Anyway, it has been thanks to your input that I'm starting to look up calories per ounce of different meats I'm feeding. The % of body weight theory isn't working for Tangent, since I've had him at 2% for a long time and that should be a minimum amount of food for nutrition. But with my current mixes, 2% is apparently a "maintenance" amount of food, not a weight loss amount...and he needs to lose.

You have my moral support! :hugs: Right now we're both looking for the same answers for the cats whose weights either see-saw or plateau.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I did change it just a smidge today and I hope it was a right decision. I ran two turkey skins with drippings into the food processor and put it in the batch today. Wondering if I should have tried a half dozen egg yolks instead but Tommy doesn't really need to focus on low calorie with his metabolism being this high since he was a kitten. I'm hoping it's negligible over 22 lbs of meat and he'll get additional nutrients that he can use.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Adding the skin is a good idea if you're trying to get their weight back up a bit. Plus, cats can tolerate quite a lot of fat (as long as they aren't fat and lazy themselves ;)) and convert it to energy. Do you add egg yolks at all? They are 55 calories each, with a fairly high fat %'age and lots of nutrition.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried adding any eggs back in. It's been three weeks I should probably weight Tom today and see that he's stopped losing with the extra half ounce.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Damn. Tom is 12.2 and Stew is 12.06. Tommy needs more food; he hasn't stopped bottoming out.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His dad said he'll give him another half ounce in the morning feeding and I'll weigh him in two weeks. Then evaluate putting eggs in the mix. Stewburger is pretty much perfect. His weight is negligible from last weigh in. I don't want to sabotage him.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll evaluate him on 6 oz and see if he doesn't need to get an egg yolk to himself each day. If there are no improvements after attempting each then he's going to the vet in July. It just doesn't go at all with the same formula we've been using for years: Tom gets what he eats and Stew always gets just a tad less because they are supposed to be 1 pound apart.
I'm afraid of something actually being wrong with my cat again, that I didn't address soon enough, or everything could all be fine and well and there's a gap now because Tom is middle aged.
I've gotten really upset about this over this afternoon. His dad and I are in agreement that if we take him to the vet for this issue that we're dreading getting scolded for him being on raw in the first place.
I'll figure it out. I'll clean Tom's pig pen out this evening and let his piggies be clean and happy and we'll start tomorrow one thing at a time.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I wonder about the "aging" thing and need to tweak the diet. Tangent ate all he wanted on raw from mid-2008 to mid-2013 when we went back to processed foods until this year. He was in great shape, but he was 4 years to 9 years old. Now he'll be 13 in October and I let him get fat on processed food for those few years in between. I worry that I "broke" his metabolism. My Corgi dog is also eating less now that we're back on raw and I'm having a hard time keeping his weight under control too. He'll be 10 in June. I fully expect that if it weren't for the raw food, Tangent and Charlie would both be battling larger problems with weight than they are having, so age is a likely player.

Anyway, we worry a lot and it doesn't actually help anything to worry. You've done a great thing with the boys, getting them down to healthy weights. Pat yourself on the back for your accomplishment, and try not to worry too much. I'll bet the extra turkey skin and bigger portion will help get a little weight back on Tom.

My vet has never scolded me over diet, although I know he's not on board with raw. He couldn't say much as long as my pets have tested healthy.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today was 12.13 lbs. We're changing it to lb.oz instead of tenths of a pound. So it's actually 12 2oz after I adjusted the unit of measure.
The discrepancy today is less than 1.5 oz, which can have variables of hydration/urination/defecation although I weighed him around the same time of day.
I'm still worried but not as worried. He's not losing ounces throughout a week, so I don't think we have a medical problem.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that short a time-frame (Tues-Sat) could have all the variables you mentioned, so it seems like he is stable. That's good! Is he eating the 6oz you're offering him?

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah. He lives for food. We have to watch to make sure Stewart doesn't eat his meals though because he snarfs faster than Tommy and will elbow him out of the way to see what he's got left. They couldn't get the hang after two weeks of the feeders being in separate rooms.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, that's good he's eating everything, since he's needing to gain back a little. I think I started Tangent at or around 6oz when I switched from canned to raw in January, and that definitely put weight on him.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
12 lbs 3 1/2 oz. Better.
How I'm waiting to hear back from Zieis because I think my power adapter is blown.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is going in the right direction for sure! Does your scale run on batteries while you check about the broken power supply? I paid extra for the optional A/C adapter. It wasn't "optional" to me as I didn't want to go out spending money on size "C" batteries.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
6 AA batteries. And it won't turn on if the adapter is still plugged in. Pulled the plug and the batteries brought it to life. Their website is goofy so there's no proof I ever emailed them, but I did twice in case the first one timed out because I was in a conversation with someone else. I think our feeder runs on 4 or 6 AA batteries and we replace them 2-3 times per year. The last feeder ran on 8 AAs. Before I was in this relationship I would actually use rechargeable batteries in everything and then we accumulated so many items that adult #2 just buys batteries in bulk. I think I'm going to look into rechargeable again. eloop or something.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, hate those "Contact us" by email, then you have no record that you actually did contact them.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
12 lbs 1 oz.
I'm gonna go make him an egg yolk

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can't hurt since he is teeter-tottering up and down with his weight.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in touch with Dr Pierson's assistant and trying to find out if they want me to take him to see the vet or if we should do the consultation over the diet and formulation.
And he LOVED the egg yolk. He cried while we were walking out of the kitchen together.